1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is there a better watch for the money than a Seiko 5?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by jdcovington1122, Aug 12, 2014.

1. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

Is there a better watch for the money than a Seiko 5? Any input would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

speedmaster likes this.
  2. jdcovington1122

And this is the Seiko 5 I am thinking of getting. Navy blue, automatic.
    [​IMG]

survivorman, thekapow and ran23 like this.
  3. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

No, not really. IMO

jdcovington1122 likes this.
  4. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

There is no better watch at that price. I had one for over a year before sending it to AK Adventurer who was wanting one. I replaced it with a Citizen Eco Drive, just a preference issue.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

6. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

While I've not had many watches in this price range, and it is my only automatic too, I must say they ARE great!

I'd say they're worth twice or more what they sell for. VERY solid, reliable watch. Almost bullet proof, I've abused the heck out of mine and its still going strong! :cool:

jdcovington1122 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Seiko watches in general rock, I can't fault the ones I have.

8. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

For the money there is only one watch that is "better" (ie has better bang for the bucks) : Vostok Komandirskie. In Europe it is half the price of the Seiko 5 and the accuracy is the same. It is mechanical though, not automatic.

9. jdcovington1122

Thanks everyone for the input, I placed the order and my first "official" watch will be here Friday :)

10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Post pics here!!

Hobs98 and AK Adventurer like this.
  11. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I love my Sieko 5 and don't think you can get a better automatic for the money.

12. ypsifly

ypsifly Loaded Pockets

I have the SNZG09, which is the larger version in green, and it is a great watch. I switched out the stock strap for a green NATO strap and it wears much better. It is durable as I wear it when I'm fishing, hiking, camping or doing whatever out in the woods or on the water, but it does have an "Achilles Heel". I don't like the fact that the crystal sits higher than the bezel. This leaves the top edge of the crystal exposed and I have had two Wengers with exposed crystals chip around one and two o'clock. So far the SNZG09 hasn't had this happen in almost two years of use, but its on my mind. The other night I accidentally smacked it on the bed of my truck while removing some firewood and did an immediate check, but it was fine. It was also dropped on a tile floor a few months back and again, fine, so maybe I'm just paranoid...

The Seiko 5 line has a real "work horse" movement that while not as elegant as some of the more expensive watches out there, it gets the job done and gets it done right. My local watch repair guru loves them because they are durable, time tested, and easy to work on while requiring minimal maintenance. They also come in a wide range of models from field watches, divers, and dress styles. I liked my G09 so much that I went out and bought a SNZF45 aka "White Baby Monster". No exposed crystal here, lol.

Last edited by ypsifly, Aug 14, 2014
  13. jdcovington1122

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love this watch!! The clear back where you can see the movement is the coolest thing ever!
    [​IMG]

14. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i would hate to live on the difference between my seiko 5 and my zodiac or my wenger..eventually i plan to upgrade to the seiko solar chronograph...

[​IMG]monster by ibescottfree, on Flickr

[​IMG]ssc017p by ibescottfree, on Flickr

jdcovington1122 and brand0n like this.
  15. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I wonder why they don't offer a G-Shock with dive watch looks? The whole jeweled mechanism thing seems more and more anachronistic as of late. I love the gadget factor, but its like driving a 1920 Bugatti. Yes its a Bugatti and sexy, but I would hate to commute in it with the lack of features and reliability, and the fear of wrecking it. Thanks for letting me rain on the parade! ;)

BurninTheDayAway likes this.
  16. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Congrats!! Nice Watch!!

jdcovington1122 likes this.
  17. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

they do actually...this is the top of the line but they have always had divers in the line up....

[​IMG]Casio_MT-G by ibescottfree, on Flickr

Epilektos, brand0n and FL Woods Bum like this.
  18. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

I had to look up the definition of anachronistic, as I had an idea what you were saying, but wanted to be sure. I personally feel that automatic/mechanical watches are timeless in nature and will always play an important role. I wear an 2nd gen orange monster every day, from the time I wake up until I take it off before bed. I work commercial construction, and keep the watch on all the time no matter what I am doing, whether its running a hammer drill, pouring concrete, welding, soldering, etc. It is no worse for wear, and is fairly consistently 2 seconds fast a day.
    I personally strongly dislike the look of any of the g-shocks, they are just big black plastic coated ugly things. IMO. Plus I feel that many people that use g shock for its toughness, don't really need that toughness. After seeing what I have put my OM through, I question why I would ever need a g-shock. Part of the reason I like it, is that it is easy to quickly look at and see the time, which is what I wear a watch for. It also has a more professional and polished look to it and thus why I will always choose an automatic diver style watch to wear.
    I think that the OP made a good choice with the seiko 5, I had the same model in black for a while and enjoyed it, however the crystal on the higher end seiko's seems to be much higher quality and resists scratches much better than the cheaper 5 series. Also I'm not sure that they haven't started putting the 4R36 movement in some 5's, which is hackable and hand winding as well.
    Keep in mind, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, soldiers managed to fight wars in hostile conditions without a "modern" timepiece that had any features like a g-shock, and they seemed to work alright for them.

Epilektos, Sriracha and ran23 like this.
  19. Bauzen

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

In the past, technology was limited.
    Today, durability is only limited to your imagination with modern plastics + rubber, and there are far more practical features in a digital watch, for the fraction the cost of a mechanical watch. If this stuff were available in the past, I'm sure they would have used it.

Syy and Sriracha like this.
  20. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I also wonder how often their watches simply broke. I could do a Tough Mudder wearing a Calatrava. Will it run afterwards though?