1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is my girlfriends inability to shoot due to her training or the firearm?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by shelbyfanss, Oct 18, 2016.

1. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

She's kind of small, has tiny hands, and very little muscle.
    The g19 is all wrong for tiny hands and little muscle.
    The Beretta PX4 would be worth look at.

2. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

Try a different instructor!!

Ethos likes this.
  3. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

Her hands and wrists are likely too weak. She needs to do some strength training on her hands and arms.

Since she has small hands a single stack gun with a small grip circumference will fit her better. But if her hands and wrists are weak she will never shoot well. Shooting is a physical task, just like swinging a hammer.

4. Iafrate

Iafrate Empty Pockets

I say it's training. Why? The corollary is this: In WWI, Manfred Von Richthofen said about aerial combat: " it's not the crate but the man flying it."

5. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

What's wrong with a nice little .38 snubbie? Very good for a beginner's gun, is always reliable and is very concealable. They've got some good .38 defensive rounds on the market too. Semiautos are not everyone's cup o tea.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  6. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

I'd look into a smaller framed gun in .380, something she can handle & carry is far better than leaving it at home...if she fears the gun more than the bad guy, she's lost the battle already.

7. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

this isn't a gun selection issue, it's a TRAINING issue

8. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Down size and she'll be happy, only she know what's comfortable to shoot with small hands/muscles.

9. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

eewwwwwwww........... .380
    ughhh!
    ............training before decision, every time

10. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Not when the 9mm is kicking too hard for her, if she's more afraid of the gun than the bad guy...she lost the battle already. She has to be comfortable, plain and simple. It's easy for us strong guys with big meaty hands to say "man up, train more"...but she's a lady.

It's not that hard to understand really.

11. CGRobert

CGRobert Loaded Pockets

XDS from springfield, PPS M2 from Walther, A shield from S&W, there are lots of single stack 9 options out there that might work better for her. Or maybe you need to change the cartridge, I know someone who had to go to a .380 Kimber because her wrists were too weak due to arthritis

12. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Well..........yes, it is.
    We have a topic here that involves two people.
    One is the OP, who says that he is the trainer, the other is his girlfriend that wants a gun.
    The trainer admits in the opening post (#1) "I'm not the best teacher so I'm fresh out of ideas to help her."
    then, "do I need to get her a gun with a hairpin trigger that she can control well, or should she be able to shoot a stiff triggered, full-sized gun just as easily once she's properly trained to shoot?"
    The trainer is not a trainer, and from those comments, is not the person to make these decisions.
    GF needs someone who can spot what is wrong, and a good trainer will recognize, and help her remedy this right away.
    In the long run, it may well be that she will only be able to handle a "mouse gun".
    But up until now, I haven't seen ANYTHING to indicate that it is time to make that decision.
    The GF likes the Glock 19.
    She has not had the opportunity (yet) to learn how to shoot one effectively.
    Hopefully she will.
    The OP (trainer) is already thinking of (see post #3) "So I'm either looking for a semi-auto 9mm with a hairpin trigger which there are plenty of options out there".
    A gun with a hairpin trigger for a novice? :frantic:

.......And here on EDC Forums, we have people suggesting "mouse guns" as a solution.
    I'll stay in the "training camp" on this one, thank you!
    She doesn't want a "mouse gun" (or does she?).
    She should replace her current trainer, who admittedly is not the best teacher (and who is considering a gun with a "hairpin trigger" for her?).

BTW Bwana1, thousands of "ladies" have mastered gun handling.

..........nuff said.

Ethos and Macgirl like this.
  13. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

I can tell you're single, if so make sure to marry someone with "man hands"...good day

14. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

.............wrong again! :bounce:

Ethos likes this.
  15. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

deleted double post

16. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

There is no way I would give a gun to an inexperienced shooter with a "hair trigger", you are asking for serious problems. Either the gun is to heavy for her, it's psychological (anticipating the shot), or the gun is not comfortable to her (read fits her hand well). Go to the gun range and let her rent a few that she feels are comfortable to her. Try lighter weight single stacks like the Shield, a J Frame, Glock 43, PPS M2, Sig 938, etc, lighter weight smaller grip guns, not a fat double stack.

How well do you shoot with a gun that doesn't fit you well? Most of us can shoot many guns well but there will be some that just don't fit. I can also guarantee that if 'you' pick a gun then you are picking what you think she can shoot best instead of letting her decide what fits and she can shoot best. I'm not suggesting you can't make suggestions on what are in your opinion good brands etc, but in the end it needs to be her choice. Not everyone needs or can shoot a 15 round double stack well, all of our hands have different ergos, luckily there are nearly endless choices these days to fit every shooter. Don't force her.

Like someone else said, paying an instructor for a session may make a huge difference, part of it may be you, part of it might be technique, maybe confidence, but regardless professional instruction is usually a good thing. I would also suggest letting her go to the instructor alone...without you even in the building/range so she can relax and focus.

PS. I speak from experience.

Macgirl, jkwithawave and kukla like this.
  17. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

It's not always as simple as going with a smaller round, it's also about weight and the recoil system in the gun. If you think .380's are lighter shooting than a 9mm in a lot of cases that is not so, especially in a "mouse gun". Mouse guns are designed to be small, not for people with small hands necessarily or want a lighter shooting round. I know many well seasoned shooters, big many single guys, that shoot an LCP or similar gun and think they are pretty snappy and even shock the hand.

There is nothing wrong with a 9mm, or even a .45 if the gun fits your hand well and if you know the fundamentals that allow you to handle and shoot well. The reason she shoots the .357 well likely has nothing to do with the trigger, it sure doesn't have anything to do with caliber, right(?) it's not .380 or a mouse gun after all. Revolvers are designed to be very ergonomic for a wide variety of shooters and fit the hand much better than a double stack pistol.

Once she learns to shoot well she will be able to shoot most guns well, but just like everyone else, she will always shoot what fits her the best regardless of caliber, not just what you hand her.

kukla likes this.
  18. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

He told you. :rofl:

[​IMG]

kukla likes this.
  19. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend, who has no firearms experience beyond going to the range with me a couple of times, recently decided to buy her first handgun. I decided that a single stack 9 would be the best fit, because she says my double stack XD is too big for her hands, and she's more likely to carry a lighter single stack. Revolvers have a long heavy trigger pull, slow reloads, low capacity, and more recoil. 380 gives up a lot of effectiveness, and when guns get too small they are harder to shoot.

We went to a range that had guns for rent, and she shot 7 different pistols. I did my best not to nudge her decision, as I wanted her to pick the gun that she felt most comfortable with. She found what feels right in her hand that she shoots well.

If yours only fired 2 guns, she needs exposure to a lot more before she can make an informed decision.

Professional training is a great idea.

Also have her try a Bersa BP9CC (great for small hands) and a 9mm 1911.

20. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Not so much, I just chose to leave my pistol holstered and walk away :cool: