1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is Mont Blanc Meiserstuck worth the money?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mr_Dove, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Mr_Dove

Mr_Dove Empty Pockets

I recently found a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck pen while dropping a bunch of mail off at an outdoor post office drop box. I put up a sign but haven't gotten any calls yet.

I generally stick to using G2 Limited pens and I'm pretty happy with them. The Mont Blanc is pretty but I'm not sure that it really performs that much better than a $10 pen.

The Meisterstuck appears to sell for around $350. I would probably never spend that much on a pen even though I appreciate a good one.

Should I keep such an expensive pen or sell it buy my wife something nice for Christmas?

2. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Things are only as valuable to you as you say they are.
    If you know the pen isn't worth $350 to you, but you know it is worth $350 to someone else, then I'd sell it to them.

3. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

Sell it. Anyone who spends $350 for a P-E-N has to much money and is aborbed with stupidity!

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

But... but... it's got gold plated rings and individual serial numbers...

My personal favorite is:
    • Ballpoint pen with twist mechanism
    • Barrel and cap crafted in precious resin, finished in jet black
    • Inlaid with Montblanc white star
    • Trim is three gold-plated rings with embossed logo
    • Gold-plated clip with individual serial number
    Errr...umm.... when exactly did resin become precious?

I don't necessarily have a problem with someone spending $350 of their disposable income on a pen, especially if they can manage to hold onto it for 20+ years. However, Mont Blanc and several other companies definitely sell a lot of their products based on an unwarranted and nebulous cachet factor.

As far as absorbed with stupidity, I expect the general populace would look a little askance at some of the knife and light purchases discussed here.

If it makes you happy and doesn't cut into your family's food supply, get what you want.... it really won't matter in a hundred years.

ATB,
    Sam

5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

It doesn't perform better than a Pilot G2.

Mont Blancs are status symbols. A symbol that you have more money than sense. Sell it to someone with less sense.

Their "precious resin" is known to crack easily. Even among pen afi's they don't have a good reputation.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

One: Tons of fakes out there. Some of them quite good.

Two: Even the real ones are ridiculously over-priced.

Three: Only MB's yearly limited-editions are worth the money.

I used to work as a high-end pen-salesman a few years back. You drop that pen on the sidewalk, and it'll literally shatter. Had tons of customer complaints. That line is made to be a visible, corporate, status-symbol. That's it. I've seen $5 Parker Jotter that were made with better quality than those $200 lightweight pens. You're paying $1 for the pen, and $199 for the snow-cap on top. (And it is a snow-cap. It's meant to be viewed from the side, rather than from the very top.)

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Yeah....side view is kind of obvious. Mont Blanc = White Mountain...

GACK!!!! High School French used outside of the classroom :faint: :laugh:

Nicer, but less well known pens abound.

Where did you work in pen sales? Would be scary if it was Arthur Brown or one of the places I frequented when I lived in the area.

ATB,
    Sam

8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Ouch!! Pretty harsh statement. I happen to love my Mont Blanc Starwalker and use it daily. I admit it wasn't cheap, but I could afford to spend $300 on an ink pen. I don't regret it and I also don't consider myself stupid for having bought it.

Some words of wisdom from a familiar source I happen to agree with:
    "I strongly disagree with the concept of buying cheap gear."
    "When it comes to gear get the best quality that you can afford."

Nice MaxPed Collection. Some might call it excessive, but then who are we to judge.
    [​IMG]

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You'd be amazed how many customers got it wrong! Including quite a few Jewish customers who weren't happy . . . Since they viewed it from the top and thought it was a bastardized symbol of their faith.

I worked at Colorado Pen Company, store #30, inside Roosevelt Field mall. Before the company expanded too fast, went belly-up, and re-organized as Paradise Pen.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Lets not bash people for buying one of these. I don't want one but what about those that do and can afford it. It is a daily carry item and people that carry something like this are welcome in this forum.

I am willing to bet there are people that do have one of these that are also by many measures very smart. The way you called these people stupid is very subjective and an argument can be made in the same manner against almost anything.

Lumping people in a group then labeling them with a deragutory remake does drive members from the forum, I know, I have gotten enough messages about it over the years.

Say you don't like it, you wouldn't own one, or you cannot understand how anyone would do it but lets not attack those that do have and use these. I am sure we have members in here that have Montblanc's, in fact I know we do.

Please don't work at driving away members because they might like something you consider stupid.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In all honesty, we had some very intelligent customers come into the shop who only wanted to look at the M.B. Solitaires. That line developed a reputation that simply did not keep up with the quality of construction. Wasn't the customers' fault. They just honestly didn't know any better. With some customers, we'd unscrew the pen, then unscrew a less expensive model. (I generally picked a Cross Century II for comparison.) We'd then be able to show the customer the interior diameter of the barrel on their $200 Solitaire, along with the one on say, a $60 Century II model. Let's just say it was eye-opening. There's a reason why a M.B. Solitaire would often shatter if dropped on the sidewalk, and why less expensive pens might get only a scratch.

To be honest, if a customer was particularly obnoxious or snobby, we'd just sell them what they wanted without helping them out. But many times we had customers who were buying gifts, and wanted real value for their money. They noticed we knew our stuff, and would often ask our recommendations. We listened, then helped out. It made for good customer relations. And, we often got repeat business because we didn't try to sell them what they thought was a high-quality pen. Based on experience I can tell you that the M.B. Solitaire line is far from quality. If a person has their heart set on such a model, we'd at least recommend that they get the stainless steel versions. More expensive, but if you really want a Solitaire then you want one that can actually survive a drop.

One nice thing . . . Whenever we got angry customers in the shop complaining about their shattered Solitaires, we'd very helpfully inform them that there is a M.B. store just upstairs from us. While we're just an Authorized Dealer, the M.B. store was their actual store. (One of them anyway.) It's like stepping into the M.B. factory and asking to speak with someone in charge. You guessed it . . . The employees at the M.B. store hated us! I mean if not literal hatred, then close enough. They actually got upset that we were sending our customers to them.

I recall one of their employees asking our manager why we kept sending them up to them. "Because your basic $200 Solitaire models are cheap crap and you know it."

He was right. And it's not the customers' fault. They go by reputation. And it's a pen line who's reputation doesn't translate into reality. Can't blame the customers for that. It's not about stupidity. A basic M.B. Solitaire will not impress an experienced pen-collector or someone who has worked in the industry.

12. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I do a little collecting of fountain pens. Personally, I would sell it. I find Montbanc to be a cheaply made overpriced, overhyped brand. Compare any Montblanc fountain pen to any Waterman. The heft will tell the tale. Almost all Montblancs have plastic barrels. Almost all Watermans have a solid brass barrel. There are so many really nice, well made brands of fountain pens, I simply wouldn't bother with a Montblanc. JMHO, YMMV.

13. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I guess every thread has to have a point/counterpoint, so today I'll stick my neck out. :cow:

I'd like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent human. I am a member here, aren't I?

I have three Meisterstucks (ballpoint, slim fountain pen, and LeGrand Fountain Pen). I use them every day at work and off and I do a LOT of writing (I can go through a whole bottle of ink every month or two!) I really enjoy them and they are worth every penny to me. Why? They are very light weight and feel good in my hand. I even have some issues with my knuckles hurting after writing for prolonged periods, but not with these.

Do they write better than a cheaper Zebra or Pilot Clicky? Maybe not to you. For me, though, the cheapos don't fit my hand as well and make my knuckles hurt. So to ME the Meisterstucks do write better!

My 2 cents to the OP is try the pen for awhile. If you like it, great! If you don't, sell it on eBay and get something that fits your style better. Pens, like lights and knives, are all about personal preference.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yes, you are absolutely correct about them being very lightweight. As mentioned in my previous post, there's a reason for that. If you should accidentally drop one on the sidewalk, please don't be too upset if it shatters. Honestly, if it happened only once or twice with all of the customers who came back into our shop at the time, it could be written off as an anomoly. But it was actually a very common thing. Nothing like having an angry customer screaming at you that you sold them junk, while holding up what's left of the M.B. in one hand; and holding up the pieces that shattered in the other hand. Sometimes accusing us of having sold them an "obvious fake."

Once again, just send them directly up to the M.B. store where they could get the situation recified directly with M.B. (And they could check for themselves that we are indeed an Authorized Dealer.)

The problem is that they are too light in weight.

15. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

If you can sell it ? Do . And don't tell any one you found it . Especially in public .

BE WELL .. GH

16. DragonRider

DragonRider Loaded Pockets

I'm happy with mine and plan on having them for life. The only time I've dropped a pen I care about is when my students hit my hands with a ball. I use mine. One thing to keep in mind is a fountain pen, after a period of time 'learn's' how the writer writes. The nib becomes unique to the owner due to how they hold and write with it.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Very true. That's why you never lend a fountain pen out to anyone.

18. paoylin1

paoylin1 Loaded Pockets

everybody has their opinion on what is worth their money. i can't see spending $100+ or even $50 on a flashlight, but there are people who collect them, and i'm not going to say they're stupid...

19. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

This is a little off topic but not really. At the beginning of this thread the G2 by Pilot was mentioned, my favorite pen in the whole world, and the talking about the Mont Blanc that was found. Well for the folks that love the G2 body but wish it was a little smoother(the G2 is a fine pen though) like a Mont Blanc, there is actually a hack to make the Mont Blanc refills fit inside a G2 by Pilot. I've never done it but I've got a friend's dad who swears by this.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-$200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/
    I like modding things so, yeah!

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

One bit of caution with that . . . M.B. does something that other brands don't. They sell their best refills to the high-end pen shops and boutique stores. They then take their factory-seconds, the refills that didn't pass muster, and then they sell them in bulk to places like Staples, Office Depot, etc. Basically, all the places that carry M.B. refills that are not high-end shops or boutiques.

If you've ever wondered why M.B. refills are considerably cheaper at places like Staples and Office Depot, well; now you know. The high quality refills get send to the high-end shops. Those factory-seconds are notorious for leaking. And I mean notorious. One of the other big issues we had were folks coming into the store and telling us that they need a new refill because their M.B. leaked. First question we asked them . . . "Where did you buy the refill from?" Their response was predictable. Not one customer said they bought the refill from us or from another high-end pen shop. Not one.

Like I said, no other company does that. Don't know what they do with their refills that don't cut it. But I do know they don't sell it in bulk to the office supply stores that cater to Joe and Jane public.