1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is minimalism diametricly opposite EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xxForceTenxx, Aug 14, 2011.

?

Is minimalism diametricly opposite EDC?

1. Absolutely!

3.2%
  2. Blasphemy!

32.0%
  3. It depends...

57.6%
  4. I have no idea what you're talking about...

7.2%
  1. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

Instead of carrying a knife, 30 feet of rope, a lighter, a firestarter, some pliers, a Phillips head screwdriver, a standard screwdriver, band aids, multiple back ups of everything, I would squeeze that down to a single multitool. That's minimalism. Tweaking ur edc to not have extra. I don't carry back ups. It's not that minimalists want to carry nothing -I wouldnt be on this site- they are trying to make do with less. Trying to make what they absolutely need, less. Improvising keeps my mind flexible. I don't freak out if I don't have the right tool. I don't depend so much on having all the right stuff, or having stuff at all. As someone put it well above, I'm just thinking how I can minimize what I do have to carry daily. Who wants to carry pounds of equipment?

2. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My bag is packed and ready, the only thing i want to consider is to take dslr with me or not, the rest is just "going with", if it comes to the point when things are a burden, its time to quit carry bag with stuff and just mainstream.

3. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

To answer the thread title, I see the term EDC as a catch all for whatever you carry, be it a SAK and an AA flashlight or whether you carry a full 72 hour pack stuffed to the gills. Both approaches are part of EDC, it just depends on what you need.

When I'm working I carry a lot more than when I'm at home, not for the job but to make my nights more comfortable.

ManVsLawn and B_H_ like this.
  4. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Enough so its easy to carry so youll take it every time,too much and its more hiderence than assitance
    however i cannot due to desire of kit and constant feeeling i need more

but then i simply aknowledge its a habit im a collector

B_H_ likes this.
  5. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

I say yes!

A lot of mini people tend to believe that you can get by with one simple tool.

You don't need to carry water or food or anything in that nature.

Yet they are the first to ask for food and water, then they are usually the first to ask for a tool like an axe, hammer, etc.

ManVsLawn and Gnarly like this.
  6. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Oddly enough, this has not been mentioned here:

Us Overpackers also get a perk that minimalists don't receive.

Cardio benefit. ;)

Because what doesn't kill us can only make us stronger.

ManVsLawn, JustinJ, tmedina and 2 others like this.
  7. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of minimalist EDC setups shown in the "What's your EDC?" picture threads. I guess the argument could made that we don't need much of anything to survive day to day, so a true minimalist carry would be just about nothing. But that doesn't take into account societal norms and needs. For instance, here in the US it is expected in most places that you carry some form of ID. You also need money or a credit/debit card to buy stuff, and keys to access home and work areas. So our US society dictates what minimal EDC is.

Thnk about societies several hundred years ago. Back before printed money, you were carrying lots of heavy coins or items for trade. The equivalent of a CCW firearm would have been a much larger and heavier weapon. Swords and the like. and tools were much larger as well. No folding knives back then.

Sure there are exceptions. There are plenty of people in this very forum who EDC unnecessary stuff, large tools, etc. but generally, we're moving more towards collective minimalism, even if it is driven by societal changes and technological advances. Heck, look at changes just in the last couple of decades. Pocket clip carry knives weren't as popular 20 years ago. Sheath carry was, which consisted of bulky leather or other durable materials. Knives are getting lighter, slimmer, etc.

And think about how few people carry cash anymore. Forget coins, many people don't even have paper money on them. And now were getting close to the point where our phones will replace our wallets for transactions, ID, all those discount cards we carry. It's already here in some places. I pay for Starbucks with my phone. Lots of retailers are going the same way. Soon enough we will be able to cut wallets and cards out of our EDC.

Pord, Syclone and kertap75 like this.
  8. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'm always looking for something that is smaller or lighter.

Sent by Owl Post

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

I'm always looking for things that have wheels, et decent ground clearance, and stackability.

Like that one neat toolbox on wheels Catherine M has....I forgot what brand.

11. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

Pack mules and oxen don't move very fast. Strong, yes. Cario benefit? No.

Besides, we minimalists don't need to outrun the bear. We just need to outrun you overpackers. ;)

12. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

---

Last edited by Pord, Mar 27, 2018
    #52 Pord, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  13. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

Nice bump...this is a good thread.

Pord likes this.
  14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Oh let's not go shortening it now....

If you're going to make people look at you strangely in public places, swing for the fences. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

Pord and ManVsLawn like this.
  15. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

EDC is personal to everyone. Everyone has their own version of what they EDC. Some feel the need to carry as little as possible according to their needs, some only feel safe if they carry many items. It's individual choice. So no, the question is not even a valid one. EDC is what you, the indivdual, make of it, it's what YOU choose to carry.

wildborego likes this.
  16. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Last few months for me has been going minimalist on EDC, putting serious effort into size and weight of items and finding solutions to carry 'on body' for some items.

Smaller bag, stopped carrying things I've never used for years, much smaller wallet. Also making sure I have things 'in the vicinity' (i.e. vehicle) that don't HAVE to be in my personal carry. Going light is the way forward (for me)

17. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Minimalism is to EDC what ultralight backpacking is to hiking. It is still EDC.

Nighted, cheeser, ManVsLawn and 3 others like this.
  18. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

Sometimes I trim it down to the bare essentials and sometimes I load up like a pack mule.
    But either way its usually enough to get by with whatever might be thrown at me.

GRH and wildborego like this.
  19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depends on the situation. I think that the problem that a lot of us (myself included) have is that we think about what COULD happen too much, so we prepare for possibilities that in all likelihood will never arise. Of course, there's the collection factor, and the mentality of two is one, one is none. Do I need a tactical folder? No. I could get by just fine with a SAK. Do I want a tactical folder? Yes. They interest me, it's as simple as that.
    EDC is defined as the daily carrying of certain objects to assist you in your daily life. By that definition, a person has an EDC if he or she has nothing but a few $20 bills stuffed in their pocket. Minimalistic? Absolutely. Still EDC? Yup.
    OTOH, if you are "an EDCer" who carries specialized items for tasks that may never arise but neglects to carry something that they need every day, that is not EDC to me. A minimalistic carry that you USE is better than a fully stocked three day pack that sits in the truck.
    I guess my point is that everyone's different, and the best item is the one that you have on you when you need it.

Naked Wife and ManVsLawn like this.
  20. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

and when you have more toys than you can comfortably carry, it becomes a collection. Collecting stuff for the joy of having the stuff may not be diamatricly opposed to minimalism, but it isn't too far off from whatever is.