1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is minimalism diametricly opposite EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xxForceTenxx, Aug 14, 2011.

?

Is minimalism diametricly opposite EDC?

1. Absolutely!

3.2%
  2. Blasphemy!

32.0%
  3. It depends...

57.6%
  4. I have no idea what you're talking about...

7.2%
  1. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

For me, minimalism and EDC kind of go hand-in-hand. If I carried everything that I might find useful at some point during my lifetime, I wouldn't even be able to stand up from the sheer weight of it all. Yes, I might need my 7 inch angle grinder later today, and it's a good bet that I'll need my BNC crimping tools, but I'm not going to drag them around all day. EDC is about the unexpected stuff that can be taken care of right now. I've already used my screwdriver and flashlight today and it's just an hour in. But EDC is also about carrying the right things that make your life easier.

If you look at it in a certain way, it comes down to laziness. I carry a few things that save me from having to go get them when needed, but not so many things that it slows me down from lugging a bunch of unused junk.

2. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

For years before I had even heard of the term EDC I always carried a pocket knife, a watch, my wallet and car keys. Then I discovered this forum and started carrying a flashlight, then picked up my CCW license and started carrying a firearm. Soon I was making a bug out bag, an EDC bag, and was constantly watching for the UPS truck to bring me my latest on-line purchase. The clothes I wear are now selected more on their pocket capacity/conceal-my-firearm capabilities more so than style or comfort. Somewhere along the way, my thinking crossed that line from minimalist to uber-preparedness. Now I find myself reevaluating my EDC ethos yet again, trying to find that happy middle ground where I am prepared for most things but not walking around with twenty pounds of unneeded equipment everywhere I go.

3. ryanol

ryanol Empty Pockets

I think the hardest part is deciding: Tool or toy?

I like toys but I really don't need to carry them everywhere. But since many of the toys people covet on here are pretty spendy - you sort of feel obligated to carry them after purchase regardless of whether you really need them or not.

ManVsLawn, JustinJ and KnifeTex like this.
  4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

A little off-topic, but in regards to the notion of minimalist packing for travel: check out the Rick Steves and onebag.com websites.

Both offer great insights into minimalist packing for travel.

-Trevor

5. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

Blade and fire. -The only real "essentials" IMO. I also carry my phone and wallet. My phone is my flashlight, I have an Esee Candiru for a blade (which I neck carry,) I have a Swiss-tech utili-key for the multitool and I have an P-38 can opener in my wallet, which has two cards. I carry the utili-key, a small fire starter, house key, bike key on my keychain. In total it's 3 things to grab and all together barely weighs anything. I feel the more you know and the better you are at improvising, the less you carry. Too many people are calling themselves minimalists these days.

ManVsLawn and Pord like this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Eh. I don't knock the minimalist philosophy, I just don't share it.

Being able to improvise is great; having to improvise is a sign of poor planning. Your mileage may vary.

Chris97, ManVsLawn, JPHing and 6 others like this.
  7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I'm a more of a minimalist because in my day to day life my only real needs are a flashlight and multitool from time to time besides the usual wallet and keys. If I'm going to do something out of the norm I'll carry the extras I think I may need as well as the things I may need just in case.

8. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I totally agree. Carrying more is not a sign of knowing less. However being stubborn about always carrying less might indicate other issues.

Each situation is different. Some just call for more gear to be better prepared, even if you can make do with less. You really need to adjust your carry accordingly. Carrying the least amount possible just for the sake of minimalism, is just as crazy as taking everything including the kitchen sink everywhere you go. As humans we need to adapt to our situation, and there really is no "one size fits all" answer.

Some days I carry more, other days I carry less. It seems somewhat OCD to continually go with the smallest lightest, and least possible without exception.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab running ICS

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

On one hand you have minimalism - trying to make do with as little as humanly possible.
    On the other you have preparedness - trying to be prepared for every eventuality you can imagine.

To me EDC is more about finding your place somewhere in between - I personally have no desire to be the person carrying a bag stuffed full of hand sanitiser, zip ties, bandaids in every shape and size, etc... (though that method is equally as valid as mine) I instead opt for a more minimalist approach - sure the items many carry are incredibly useful, but to me I wouldn't use them often enough to justify carrying them, so I have a much more bare bones carry covering a few basic essentials. It is still an EDC, and has had just as much thought put into it as many fully equipped systems, just this suits my lifestyle, attitude and needs better.

ManVsLawn, keith1234 and Gnarly like this.
  10. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Which is great. You are carrying what you need and are not on a blind quest too carry the least possible or the most either. There are many that do, with either extreme.

I dont particularly believe that there is a scale for edc. Its pretty black and white to me. One can fall into three categories: minimal, edc, and maximum. The first is someone who is obsessed with carrying the least possible, the last is one who carries the most possible. The middle is one who carries what they need and what suits them. The middle choice requires planning and thought, the other two do not and are a blind persuit. This forum mostly includes the middle group. When I see someone refer to themselves as a minimalist I think 'nut job' until I read on to see they are really in the edc category but have mislabled themselves.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab running ICS

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

I proudly overcarry, daily without fail.
    Because EXPERIENCE is a mother of a teacher.

Chris97, microbe, ManVsLawn and 8 others like this.
  12. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

EDC is about being prepared. Carry what you need, not what you might need.

I consider myself a minimalist because I only carry what I have needed in the past: - I a prybaby, an Inka pen, a Proto screwdriver (smaller prybar than than the prybaby), a Fiskars keyring scissors, Boeker keycomm and a flashlight. I use each of those at least weekly. I just added a 16GB thumb drive, which is small and can be protected by a spring paper clip.

If you don't think that is minimal, let me know what I should be carrying, and I will consider it. One EDC I do not need is the emotional baggage of knowing I have a sub-optimal carry.

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

No sir, that is not being minimal. You have put thought into your edc and carry what you need. A minimalist would have cut out most of that for the sake of carrying less. You are just an edcer. Well done!

Sent from my tricorder using Tapatalk 1701

ManVsLawn likes this.
  14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I would say that this *is* a minimal approach based on the theory that it is only carrying the minimum necessary for what is perceived as the need, and making a concious effort to avoid excess. Minimalism, just not taken to impractical extremes

Naked Wife and keith1234 like this.
  15. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

I love the thought process of what to carry as much as the actual carry. Most days a I can use a small skinth that contains a leatherman style ps, a streamlight micro stream, lip balm, 2 bandaids and a small plastic card with a couple wraps of duct tape around it. On days I need to be dressed up all of that fits in a small pocket kit, by exchanging the microstream for a nano. On a big day, (day trip to visit my mother-in-law) I use a Skinth Trailblazer, loaded with a Skeletool, Fennix flashlight plus extra battery, CC wrapped with duct tape, lip balm, 4 bandaids plus a sterile wipe and a large bandaid, empty lip balm tube with ibuprofen, and a small moleskin and pen. These are items that I have found after years of experience, and "thinking it out" that I use frequently in each situation. I love having what I need for most situations, and knowing I'm not lugging a bunch of stuff that I don't need.

16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ands thats fine. Its okay for us to have different takes on what the classifications are. I see what he carries as normal edc, and minimalism as an obsession to sacrifice everything for the sake of carrying nothing, basically. So instead of a sliding scale of extremes, I see three definite and static classifications. Again, nothing wrong with different views.

Sent from my tricorder using Tapatalk 1701

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Why carry less than necessary? That is not only subminimal, it is subobtimal.

18. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I aways thought of minimalism as more of a style then anything else. When I think of a minimal set up it has all of the same gear, but maybe smaller, or cleaner designs.

metropolicity and Naked Wife like this.
  19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

For me: Wheelbarrow now; mebbe pack mule next year.

Let me hasten to say: YMMV. And that I have nothing against minimalists.

They are always very polite, when they ask to borrow stuff they didn't bring....

20. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

That is an excellent way to put it. It doesn't have to mean you're completely unprepared, just realistic. It's almost comical what some people carry, but so what? They have to carry it, not me.

ManVsLawn, Gnarly and B_H_ like this.