1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is Kimber The Only

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Red Horn, Nov 24, 2011.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

During my competitive shooting "carrier" I've won a lot of guns. I handed over a NIB Glock 17 to Charlie Vanek at a match and had him do one of his trigger jobs on the gun. I added a magwell to the gun, and then took it to a TDSA shooting class just to get some trigger time on the Glock. I thought a Glock immersion would be good to get accustomed to the striker fired system. I also thought it would be an opportunity to torture test the gun. I put 1500+ rounds through it in two days and never cleaned it or oiled it prior to the class. That sealed the deal with me.

2. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

To follow up my last post I have found that the XD night sights factory offered leave a lot to be desired. The Trijicon are only Trij tritium tubes and do not have the outer rings. The Heinie Straight Eight sights have tiny trit tubes. Both these sight sets do not give a nice bright, large sight picture IMO. Real Trijicon, Meprolight, or TruGlo TFO seem to be the ones to get.

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

You should take a look at XS Sights. They've got a nice big front dot.

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

+1 on the XS sights. I've got the tritium big dot on my Kimber with a Novak adjustable rear. Works great.

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I've read that the XS big dot is primarily a defensive sight for close quarter engagements and not good for longer distance precision shooting since the dot covers too much of the target. Is that consistent with your experience?

6. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Yes, that is relatively accurate. It's not that it eliminates it completely, but out at 25 yards or more it does cover a good area. Of course, this is going to apply to some degree to any tritium or other combat type sights, it's even worse with some of the big fiber optic sights. That why target guns have a skinny little blade up front. Keep in mind that the OP was asking about a compact 1911 to begin with.