1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is Kimber The Only

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Red Horn, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Maker that builds a steel frame, 4" barrel 1911 with a light rail? Thirteen hundred bucks is too steep for me.

2. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

3. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

If you can settle for an aluminum frame, the Springfield Arms 1911 Lightweight Champion Operator is a little bit less.

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Taurus makes one but it is a 5" barrel, great gun for the price. Option two is to have a smith braze a rail onto the dust cover of a gun you like, it works very well.

5. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

The only other gun I'm aware of is the STI Off Duty, which is actually and Officer's size gun with a rail. The price however is similar. You can however ADD a rail to a gun of your choice. Honestly, they add less bulk to weapon. They run about $60 plus installation.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Even if you find one cheaper, no other company does it better than Kimber.

7. Search

Search Empty Pockets

8. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've got an Ed Brown Cobra Carry with a Dawson Precision light rail (similar to Brownells part). I much prefer to the factory rails as it adds less bulk. I think in the Kimber you'd need the Pro Carry because, if I'm not mistaken, it has a full size frame.

10. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the informative responses. I do like Kimber quality having a special edition "Custom Carry LE" alloy frame full size from a about eight years ago. Just can't swing the 4" SS Kimber even after normal dealer discount. Now giving serious thought to a compact XD 45 if one is available with Night Sights and preferably not black/black. Residing in Cali my options are limited :~( Don't think I will go the brazed on rail route.

11. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I agree with you on the lesser bulk. The Pistol in question is Colt Commander S/S with a Wilson Comp on it. I'm not sure why, but I don't shoot it as much. I'd like the option of switching the current slide assembly on it with a Caspian slide. Besides the new slide, and light rail, I'd like to get a frame rounded like the Ed Brown line.

I hoping it will be cheaper than getting a new pistol. If not, the frame is setup the way I want, it's one less thing to worry about.

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, what you are suggesting is literally building half a 1911. Realistically it is the more expensive half. You could buy another firearm for the cost of putting a new top end on a gun.

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I was in the same boat and opted for the XD45 compact. I plan on adding a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights and a PRP trigger kit and will still be $500-600 heavier in the pocket. And with those mods, I'd put my XD up against a factory Kimber 1911 any day of the week. It won't be anywhere near as pretty as a Kimber but it will get the job done. More capacity too - 10+1 or 13+1 depending on which magazine you go with.

14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I liken the 1911 to a Harley-Davidson. You can buy a good PLAIN Harley. With time and money, you can customize it into the bike you want. The 1911 is the exact same way. Start out with a PLAIN 1911, like a mil-spec, and when you have the time and money and know what you want, have it modified. I hate to see anyone forgo a 1911 because of price. For similar money to the XD, you could pick up and Remington 1911R1, a ParaOrdnance Expert series, or possibly a Springfield GI. All are fine weapons. The Remington and Para have a few common enhancements. Like I said, that is just the beginning as there are few guns that will allow you customize one to your wants and desires like a 1911.

My next build will be off of a Para or Remington.

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I hear what you're saying but I only paid $430 for the XD with five magazines. Pretty hard deal to pass up.

I do plan on investing in a 1911 like you say but I decided I wanted the polymer version first and not just because of cost. I know 1911 die hards turn their nose up at the other 45 ACP platforms, but the Glock, M&P, and XD/XDM series are :censored: fine guns. I think of them as modern interpretations of a masterpiece. Not as elegant but certainly valid in their own right since time has afforded them the opportunity to address some of the shortcomings of the original design.

16. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Don't get me wrong. There are many fine firearms available in .45 ACP. The only one I'd be willing to buy, load it out of the box, and depend on it if necessary would be the Glock 21. The simplicity of the Glock design is just amazing. My preference is the 1911, followed by the Sig P220, Glock 21, HK Mark 23, CZ 97, XD, FN, S&W Model 625.

17. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Personally, I think Kimbers are seriously overrated for the money. I'd rather buy a moderate gun and put the coin into having someone competent set it up how I want. Then again, a firearm is just a tool to me. I am more concerned with my groups being impressive than the gun that made those groups being impressive.

18. cyberhh

cyberhh Loaded Pockets

You can get a SA XD in OD Green, Beige (Tan) or black in our state - the slide is black or SS but the polymer is colored. You could also have both parts colored if you wanted - calguns has some guys that do that for a reasonable rate. I would send it to SA to have the sites installed and the reliability package performed. Then both are under their lifetime warranty. They have a great warranty and some of the best customer service I have ever used.

19. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

All factory 1911's can be improved upon.

There is combat accurate and match accurate.........I'd rather have match accurate as it allows for a greater margin of error.

20. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I feel the same way about the Glock 21. Its the only gun I've seen where I can load a hole mag full of empty brass and rack the slide and feed every case every time. Glock just nailed it with the G21's feed system.