1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is It Really Every Day Carry?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Ethos, Aug 13, 2017 at 1:44 AM.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

we all have some pretty cool stuff or at least like cool stuff or we wouldn't be here. We also carry stuff everywhere every day, who doesn't. But, if you change what you carry or at least part of it, is it still really "Every Day Carry?" Wouldn't some of it be classified as EDC and the rest 'I carry it sometimes'?

Granted that's getting a little technical, but we do that well, so I thought it was worth a discussion...even if not all that original.

Stealth digger, dmattaponi and A.B. like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

My actual edc on workdays consists of a mora companion, my phone, my tobacco with 2 lighters, a small diamond stone, wallet, keys with a vic classic alox and a toolbelt with an estwing hammer, level, large pouch for tape measure and stuff, and my work blade. On my off time it's just the baccie and lighters, keys, phone, and a defensive knife and a user knife. Even if you rotate some stuff it is still edc in my opinion

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Ethos likes this.
  3. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Eastwing...I know you have good taste in tools!

A.B. likes this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Indestructable... Great tools

5. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

To my mind there are levels of EDC.

1. ADEDC (ALL day, every day carry) The only item I can honestly say are my spectacles. Even my belt is left at home sometimes if I'm wearing overalls.

2. EDBNADC (Every day but not all day carry) That's all the stuff in my Maxped Octa. Leaves the house with me, but stays in the car at work, mainly because I don't want to get it covered in dirt. Comes with me when I park and leave the car to go shopping or to the pub, whatever. Also when Im on foot, or a passenger.

3. VEDC (Vehicular Every day carry) Big first aid kit, extra clothing, device chargers, umbrella, tools, webbing straps, food, water, toilet roll, etc etc.

6. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Ethos, I see your point. I tend to think of it as "items I carry everyday I (fill in the blank with name of activity or setting)". For instance, when I'm playing music, I have an "EDC" pouch in my gig bag to handle issues I encounter as a musician. It's a small pouch for an old film point and shoot camera and I've used it for more than 20 years. It's got volume knobs, fret files, washers, DC soldering iron, small multitool, etc. I had to use the pliers heyday to tighten the mic stand enough to handle bouncing in a parade float (Black Forest, CO- 1st place winner! )

That's totally different from my work EDC which supports my office job.

It's all EDC, just taylored to support a role.

There are items that transcend role-based carry, though. I'm a husband and father, so my Rush 24 has feminine pads hidden away and they are also my trauma pads. Years ago, my EDC bag was a diaper bag.

The situational carry I mention above is a little different from Urban Prepper 's tiered system, and I do employ it as well.

For me, immediate role drives carry. But, contingencies also drive carry. Both role and contingency vary daily.

Does that give me an identity crisis?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and A.B. like this.
  7. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

My tier one is wallet, keys with Classic SD and keychain light. That's EVERY DAY. I guess tier two is my Vic Explorer and Olight i3 EOS on a dangler. Tier three is the Rush 24 with all is goodies.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    In my bass gig bag:
    [​IMG]

Water-Rat and A.B. like this.
  8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Personally I think EDC is more a mindset than the gear you carry.
    Some people feel they need the kitchen sink, while others think they are prepared because they woke up that morning and got to work on time for a change.
    My grandfather always had his Zippo lighter, a hanky, a pocket knife, his wallet and his coin purse.
    My mother and grand mother's always carried their purses.
    My other grandfather carried the same as the other minus the Zippo lighter because he didn't smoke.
    These people never left home without these things in their pockets.
    To me. they EDCed, to them it was just normal routine stuff that made the day go simpler.
    I didn't know I EDCed until I came across the term years ago.
    Sometimes I think that EDC is the "talisman" or "magic" that people carry to make the feel safer and more self reliant.
    Your "talisman" may be your cell phone, or maybe a complete backpack that will get you through the apocalypse.
    Everyone EDCs to some degree, but it is the way we look at it that makes the difference.

Water-Rat, mizedog and EZDog like this.
  9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Minichamp and olight AAA in the house. Out the house the phone and wallet are my only real EDC. I'm not lugging a bag around with a change of clothes, FAK pens, notebook etc etc that I'd use for event work to nip down the shop for a pint of milk. I'm not taking it to a site visit either - I need a different and more minimal load out. What I do varies massively from day to day and my load out reflects that.

If I had my old job in a sales office 6 days a week, yeah it would be easy to pick some kit and stick with it. Wouldn't be as fun though ;)

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think it doesn't really matter what we call it but just being prepared for the day as we each see fit is what this is all about.

In the same sense that we each have individual ideas about certain specific items being right for our own tasks,it hardly matters whether we carry a similar bag of stuff or any stuff at all.

I try to be ready to face my needs with the tools I need,not real complicated to understand but pretty challenging and entertaining to pursue........usually.

This is why my EDC mainly looks like this
    [​IMG]
    Including in this pic my Sherpa Arthur,of course!

Water-Rat and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The concept of rotating gear is not very rational in my way of thinking (but I've decided to not be rational about it because it's more fun to be irrational). For critical equipment it makes sense to rotate two items of the same function just to be familiar and proficient with both in case one fails. This especially makes sense for professionals carrying guns, FAKs and rescues gear. The rest of us mostly rotate gear to justify owning more. Why own it if you don't use it?

Now, as we already decided to own all this redundant gear, it gives us the option to tailor what we carry to be better suited for the tasks ahead and the clothes we wear. Not required, but convenient, and more fun.

So finally to the OPs question, I have been asking my self the same question, and whether or not you gain an advantage from rotating, I found I still consider it EDC because I have come to consider the function of an item to be of more importance than the object itself.
    In a way, it's similar to clothing. Most days I wear jeans and a T-shirt, so that's kind of my EDC clothes, but for obvious reasons I rotate these very often. Same function, slightly different and most of all, cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mephysto likes this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Why to own more than 1 item of each? Because 2 is 1 and 1 is none. An important lesson.

13. aicolainen

That saying is more used in the context of owning two to carry two, for the sake of backup rather than owning two for the sake of rotating.
    I would argue that even the backup concept is more relevant for professionals. E.g. I carry two dedicated cameras when I occasionally get a paid assignment, but otherwise just one or none even.
    Most days I work in an office environment, which is likely the least demanding in regards to traditional EDC items, so in that setting one is convenient and two would likely just slow me down.

A.B. likes this.
  14. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Today's carry for a church annual BBQ fund raiser. Just about to start. Yesterday, I played in the town's parade, in our church's float. I used a 4x10 speaker cab there for the extra punch. Today's needs are smaller so I went with two 12" cabs. They are all really difficult to fit in my pocket as EDC, though :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited by mizedog, Thursday at 7:14 AM
    #14 mizedog, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 7:14 AM
  15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I work in construction and I carry 2 blades and have a back-up of every tool I use in my bag in the truck. Not always on my person, but when needed it is there

16. aicolainen

That, my friend, makes you a professional and it makes perfect sense for you to have a backup or two of these items.

Even I need to consider the need for backups of certain items when I work away from my office. My problem is that when I do field work I often travel very far away, so weight and size becomes an issue. Because of that, I only carry backup of items I identify as show stoppers should they fail, and very often these are not considered EDC items, but sometimes I go to such remote areas that even items like knives and lights becomes crucial enough to warrant a backup.

A.B. likes this.
  17. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

May I ask what you do for a living?

18. aicolainen

My job description isn't very exciting I'm afraid, I'm merely an engineer.
    My work is kind of exciting though. Without going into detail about my employer or my specific field of expertise, I can say that the technology is relevant for offshore oil production and exploration, coast surveillance, defense and even payloads for space missions. Because of this it has been required of me to travel to everything from remote mountains, remote islands, cities, ship yards, vessels and oil fields more or less all over the world.
    I don't travel as much as I used to, but try to make room for a one or two longer trips a year.

A.B. likes this.
  19. Stealth digger

Stealth digger Loaded Pockets

I completely agree and don't consider it my EDC unless its something i actually carry everyday.
    And by no means do i think there is nothing wrong with those who alternate their gear, i love seeing all the different items everyone has.

Ethos likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

All y'all: I'm having deja vu and flashbacks...

I think somewhere there's another thread with exactly this line of discussion here. Does this ring true with anyone else?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.