1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Karmakanic, Jun 14, 2019.

1. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I think Karmakanic nailed it from my perspective also. But in my case EVERY multitool I have purchased, SOG or Leatherman has taken a :censored: in one form or another after just "moderate" use. In Fallujah in '04 a good buddy, a Navy EOD now teaching tactics and weapons in Washington state, said his Leatherman was the only thing he couldn't do without. Today he doesn't carry one at all. Like everything else, IMHO, they are mission-specific tools. Some like 'em, some not so much.

À chacun ses goûts

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I am anything but handy ;). I started carrying a LM Blast about 8 years ago when I was in flooring sales. I didn't really need a full tool box as a salesman, but I did need to have some basics on hand when I was at a customer's home doing an estimate and trying to see if there were any nasty surprises awaiting us during install. The LM turned out to be just the ticket.

So I am a believer in these things for convenience. I keep a small one (LM Squirt PS4) on a keyring a medium duty in my edc bag, and a couple in the car (a Rev in the console and a ST300 in a tool bag in the trunk). Plus a bladeless LM PS in a travel kit, not that I travel much anymore!

Truthfully, none get even weekly let alone daily use. But when I need them, the convenience is priceless to me.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

EZDog likes this.
  3. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

When I'm working on a site, I often have a Leatherman on my belt. That one sees regular use. When I need a tool that's on the LM and I'm five rungs up a ladder and the real, dedicated version of that tool is in the other room, the LM version suddenly gains a lot of quality in my opinion.

Lateck, ran23 and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

That's all they really need to be.

I can understand someone questioning if they actually need a multitool (or pry tool), because not everyone does.
    What I can't understand, is questioning their existence in general. Multitools were never meant to replace dedicated tools, they co-exist because some people find them utterly useful.
    I think it's really quite simple, if you don't know if you need a multitool, you don't.

From my own experience, I've found them useful in work that normally don't involve hand tools, but you often find yourself in a situation where a simple tool will prevent a small unpredicted detail from causing a big problem or annoying delay, e.g. army dog handler and project engineering, In my time as a field engineer, I would often be in situations where I had to keep the tools on my person at a minimum, both for safety and freedom of motion. I found that complementing a few really important dedicated tools with a multitool was a very good way to achieve just that. For multi-day hikes, especially in the winter when your health and survival is dependent on your gear performing as it should, multitools are a great space efficient tool that can save your day(s).
    There are numerous other examples, but these are the big ones for me.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It really depends on what your needs are - there is no doubt that a dedicated tool is going to perform better than a multitool equivalent, however those dedicated tools come with their own downsides...

The can opener on my SAK has come in handy plenty of times to tighten or open things in places I never would have expected to need it for example - the sort of places I would never bother bringing a set of dedicated screwdrivers, because they are heavier, bulkier, and honestly rarely needed.
    At the same time when I know I plan on using tools and it is worth the bulk and weight, then I would look to carrying those instead.

It is all about finding the balance of functionality, weight and bulk that suits your situation. Given the fact that we all live very different lives, that also means the correct answer for you may be completely different to the next guys. To one person a Leatherman is a lightweight waste of space, to another that same tool is overkill and a vast bulk to carry for little benefit...

6. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

One in my go(BOB) bag and one in my car bag. Haven't seen either one in a while,

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I belt carry mine so it's with me 24/7, there's a chance that it could 'save the day' even whilst having a lift from a friend who has zero tools in the boot. Can't beat having dedicated tools of course, which I have and those are what gets used when I service or repair vehicles.

8. HarryD

HarryD Empty Pockets

I’m a bus driver and carry a Wave in my bag, I have needed it a few time most months and a couple of times it saved the day and I didn’t have to wait for a mechanic to come several miles to fix something. At home I never use it because I have full sized tools that I prefer to use but for the size and weight I will gladly carry the Leatherman while working.