1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Karmakanic, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I spent around 40 years working as a vehicle mechanic, and in addition, do most of my own home repairs, plumbing, small building projects and so forth. I've owned at least one multi-tool for most of that time, now I have several stashed in vehicles etc.
    Thing is, I almost never use them, I guess they're OK for emergencies. For the most part they aren't really up to the job.They are also very expensive compared to regular hand-tools.
    Some of the smaller gadgets that seem to proliferate, mini-pry-bars with screw drivers and bottle openers, often attributed to a named 'designer' appear to be as practically useful as a chocolate fire-guard.
    Anyone else think like this?

2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Yep

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

It depends.

It's all a compromise, if you live all your life next to your tool box then no, there's hardly any reason for a multitool (plier based or the other kind). It's as simple as that, dedicated tools are better in most ways but they are not better at everything. Needle-nose pliers are terrible scissors.. A crescent wrench is great for bolts, but it's a pretty crappy screwdriver and a terrible wire cutter. Specialty vs versatility.

A Leatherman Wave or Charge, a Victorinox Swisstool or Gerber Centerdrive are more versatile than specialized tools, even though they usually performs worse at any task. But they are lighter, more compact and easier to carry. Which is sometimes the most important aspect.

As for one piece tools: they can come in handy, I have the TPT Slide and carry and use it almost every day. It's lightweight, versatile and nice to have. It can assemble and disassemble furniture, used to tighten or loosen a screw, it has opened countless boxes (I run it with the "dull" blade, I don't need a sharp box cutter blade), it can be used to scrape, pry and bend in a way knives can't or shouldn't be. I'm not saying everyone would find a use for it but for me it is very practical and useful, I work in a place where tools are not readily available, I also spend most of the year away from home. I simply don't have access to proper tools most of the time.

Expensive at $80? Sure, its a bit pricey. But I don't mind it. Some people lose their mind over the price. To each his own.

So it all depends on what you do, where you are and what you need to do.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a MT around for the times where I am not by Normal Tools and not for anything else.
    In this capacity they can be great and a life saver at times for sure.

Otherwise like you with a lifetime of working with my hands and tools I will always prefer the real thing and I also can not understand why anyone if given the choice would prefer a MT to a real tool?

I will say that I EDC the Gerber Centerdrive these days and based solely on the strength and utility of the Drive Tool on it and this is the first MT that has an actual useful driver that makes very few compromises for its existence in my use!
    I also find the Pliers to be really great but I have NEVER used the Blades and rarely anything else on the tool.

The Spirit X that I carried before is a much nicer,better finished tool I think but nowhere near as useful to me as that CD!

So no you are not alone but maybe just are not looking at the MT the way that makes the most sense either?

#4 EZDog, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  5. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Completely agree. I have four multitools. Three of them I picked up from an ebay site that sells things confiscated by the TSA. I keep two of them in my cars and the third one in my garage workshop. I have used one of the ones in my car a couple of times, but that was all. I have a leatherman Juice with a corkscrew and scissors that I have taken traveling and have used it much more often for opening bottles of wine :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yeah, pretty much. Dedicated tools are always better. Having made that point, the appeal of multi/mini tools is the ability to have something, no matter how lame, on your person. FWIW, I carry a dedicated bottle opener and cigar punch (i.e., not multi-tools) on my keychain & I do carry a swiss-tool wannabe on my keychain.

7. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

dedicated tools are better if you have the means for them to be at your side always, I work in a different place almost every day
    I take public transit to most jobs so I have to carry what I need to take apart bicycles, tables, beds, shelf and wardrobe units and patio furniture.
    basically anything bulky that cannot hold a load while being transported in a trailer or in a container to its destination.

I carry a small electric screwdriver that I've been mocked for as a crappy drill
    a small ratchet with 3 sets of bits from Canadian tire
    an adjustable wrench and my leatherman with bit kit.
    cheap dollar store utility knives and markers and my victorinox fieldmaster in my pocket
    I can make do with that and have for 8 years.

my two work bags for winter and summer.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I asked for a recommendation here a while ago about which one should I get, a vic mt or a Leatherman. I came to the conclusion that the dedicated tools are best. Found it to be more of a want it, then a need it. Why get a $100 pair of pliers with a knife in it when you can get, and carry, a small tool kit and the knife you probably already carry. But, I'm a construction worker so I am partial to right tools for the job and all that crap.

Tesla and ox71 like this.
  9. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I think they're very handy. I dont keep tools on me.

But I do use them for tinkering with audio equipment, resutaunt equipment, aquarium equipment and a lot of random stuff which I am happy not to have a box of tools.

Around the house and car, yeah I have real tools for that.

ox71 likes this.
  10. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

EDC tools are as everyone echoed, a basic, 'stop-gap' for an emergency. I always advocate the use of 'dedicated-tools' for the job at hand. Basically, EDC's they fill a niche [camping, cyling, etc.). The best thing they have going-for them is 'portability'. In my former profession as a telephone/IT field tech my 'multi-tool' actually saved-me a lot of 'shoe-leather' because some of the tools were integral to the tool itself. But then again, the Paladin multi, that I carried was dedicated to that type of work, and featured punch-down tools, etc. People are manic about many things, and 'collecting' EDC's is just another iteration of that fascination. Some just have a self-image of being 'prepared', or being at a certain-level of preparedness. Which may be just a 'self-induced' illusion. This is my opinion for what it's worth. Cheers!! :cool:

Last edited by Elmiro Dungfoot, Jun 14, 2019
    #10 Elmiro Dungfoot, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    rdisom, A.B., That Movie Guy and 3 others like this.
  11. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Some people just dont like having a box of tools on them all the time. Give them a break.

12. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

What tools would you choose to get all the capability of a Leatherman ¨Wave or a Gerber Centerdrive?

I'm truly interested in seeing what the resulting package would be. I have yet to see anyone present something as capable while keeping the weight and size down. This last part is the reason multitools exist.

My point isn't that dedicated tools are unnecessary, on the contrary I value them highly (and I probably have more tools than most people). But when I'm traveling 200 miles by train or walking 10 miles that isn't an option. Again, its a compromise and weighing pros and cons.

ox71 and A.B. like this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I just don't need pliers all that much. A knife and a sak are pretty much all I need when I'm not at work. And at home I've got plenty of tools.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well this is what I carry in my Briefcase typically along with my MT,Knife and Lights of course!
    It is a lot more than the MT for sure but if I need real tools then this is the minimum in general.
    I also carry a small HDMI Monitor and 11" Macbook Air all the time and a soft tackle box full of connectors and adapters for what I do too.

So the CD or Spirit have been life savers for me every single day that I am out but also not enough often times depending on the work at hand.

I use a lot of different organization and specialty tools too and there is just no way to minimize to the point of easy travel for what I do and still be effective day to day.
    On the other hand 40+ years of experience and the most minimal tools in hand are tough tools to beat every day as well!

After this I sort of move up to various bigger bags and packs and to a Vehicle as do many of us.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by EZDog, Jun 15, 2019
    #14 EZDog, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  15. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I think everyone pretty much nailed it. A multi tool is a portable versatile tool to get you by but there is no substitute for the real tool. I don't carry a multi tool because I find them a bit heavy and don't care to have my pockets loaded down but I do keep one in my Jeep. The multi tool in my Jeep is in my glove box whereas my tool bag is tucked in behind the driver's seat. Because the multi tool is quicker and easier to get to I find myself reaching for that first if the task appears to be doable with it.

As far as keychain tools/prybars are concerned I've carried an Atwood Ghost on my keychain for years. I find it extremely useful for an item the size of a key and about twice as thick. It's first and foremost a bottle opener. I know there's a million crazy ways to get into your beer but I prefer a straight forward bottle opener. Second it's a very handy screwdriver/prybar. I'm not talking about pulling all the staples out of the floor after removing a carpet but for small quick jobs it's great. An example for me is rocks get stuck in my Jeeps tires which makes the Jeep sound like a tap dancer driving down the road. I just grab the Ghost and pop the rock out. I was in the airport last weekend on my way to Florida when the handle on my luggage almost lost the screw. By using the corner of the ghost I was able to screw it back in and secure it. The list could go on but long story short its a very useful item for me especially for the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ox71 likes this.
  16. L_Medu

L_Medu Empty Pockets

Of course yes. but I do not go for a walk every time with my toolbox.

ox71 likes this.
  17. Abhi Beckert

Abhi Beckert Empty Pockets

I work in a theatre complex with four separate buildings - one is a set building workshop and I never use a multi-tool there. But in the other buildings I use it constantly. And it seems like half the time I reach for the thing it's not there - someone else has borrowed it (maybe I should EDC two of them?).

It's hard to predict when you'll need a knife/cable cutters/screwdriver. Those are the three I use the most and while I have a proper utility knife/cutters/battery drill they're all big and heavy (well, not the knife... but why have two?).

Also when I'm at the top of a 25 foot ladder and I don't want much on my belt — I stick to the torch and multi-tool and even those catch on the safety harness/tether sometimes.

When I'm involved in a performance at another theatre and they never trust me a key to their workshop and I like to volunteer at music festivals (free tickets are great!). Those might have 50 stages and only two or three tool sheds. I'll never forget the day I needed to cut a cable tie and the tool was a 45 minute walk away. I could have used brute force to snap it but again, I was on top of a ladder. Fortunately someone else had a multi-tool (and I bought my first one a few days later).

Outside of work, I mostly keep it in my backpack and use it a few times per week.

Last edited by Abhi Beckert, Jun 24, 2019
    #17 Abhi Beckert, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019