1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is it fixable?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ItJustDiz, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Well.... think of it this way; When a cell goes that bad it needs to release pressure and all its liquid guts come out with it when that pressure finds a hole. However, once it has found that hole it doesn't really need another one so the goop coming out of a cell more often than not will remain very very localised (and alkaline cells are constructed in such a way that this hole will be found at the negative pole 99% of the time). It is of course possible for this chemical stuff to work its way around the cell and up in to every nook and cranny you can think of, especially in tight locations like a flashlight, but that generally needs time. So as long as you didn't leave the leaky battery in the light for say a year or something its very possible that you are indeed looking at a very localised little chemical spill. In flashlights when you don't see any damage from a cell mishap like this you are pretty much fine. The green and salty white rock-like formations this process produces are very hard to miss.

ItJustDiz likes this.
  2. ItJustDiz

ItJustDiz Loaded Pockets

So I got a response from Fenix and they will be sending me a new switch, pretty happy about that. I ran the tests as recommended above and all signs point to the switch being the issue.. I was going to order some back up switches and rubber boots just to have on hand. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Westerdutch reppans

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Fasttech, out of China, is an option for small flashlight/electronic parts but I'm not sure how you'd matchup a perfect fit. I'm personally a Quark "system" guy, and have lots of their spare accessory parts for backup and to Lego, but I've never had a failure with their stuff.

ItJustDiz likes this.
  4. Westerdutch

Yeah fasttech is great, so is aliexpress. It can indeed be challenging to get the exact same switch, but with some tinkering most can be made to fit.

ItJustDiz likes this.
  5. ItJustDiz

ItJustDiz Loaded Pockets

Went with Aliexpress for a new tailcap. Low cost and pretty decent delivery time, unfortunately the caps I got are about 1.5mm too short.. Can't seem to find 12mm x 8.5mm caps anywhere but I'll check fasttech next. (removing the little "button" inside the new caps didn't do the trick)

6. Westerdutch

So by tailcap do you mean rubber boot? Those are generally quite universal. If your clicky button stays pressed down after assembly even after fully removing that nipple thing on the inside you can also insert a spacer between the boot and clicky. I've successfully done so with plastic spacers but also with random o-rings from various sources when the correct size plastic spacers are impossible to find/make. Here's some awesome mspaint art for illustrative purposes;
    [​IMG]
    Black is the flashlight body, black/white is the retainer ring, blue is the circuit-board and clicky (yellow spring), green is the boot and red is the added o-ring. As you can see the thicker the o-ring you throw in there the more height you create for the switch. Another advantage is that you can now use the retainer ring to fine-tune the space between the boot and switch by compressing that o-ring more or less. The o-rings i use for this purpose are bought at a plumbing-supply store (assortment boxes are like 5 bucks), if too large in diameter you can just cut a piece off to make it fit (it doesnt do any waterproofing anyways so a 'c' ring is just as good as an o-ring) so you can use massively thick o-rings to create lots and lots of space!

Blackheart and jag-engr like this.
  7. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Seriously, I appreciate it when people go through the trouble of making a sketch (picture, thousand words, etc., etc.).

8. ItJustDiz

ItJustDiz Loaded Pockets

This is so great. Thank you. Yes, I just meant the boot so I may play around with spacers I thought about that or further trimming material from the boot. Now I just need to pick up retainer pliers so I stop wearing down the threads on the tailcap.

Cheers!