1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is Fenix a decent tough light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Dlowry, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Dlowry

Dlowry Empty Pockets

I ask because I'm thinking about grabbing a PD32 and I've never owned a Fenix before. I really like the CR123 platform so I want to stick with that.

I have a Surefire 6P that I have converted into a 6PLED with a Surefire lamp. I also have a Quark 123^2. I think the Quark is a great light and has more lumens than my 6PLED but the Surefire is tough as ****.

Would you say that a Fenix PD32 would be just as tough as a Surefire or tougher than a 4Sevens Quark 123^2?

I guess I just don't know what to expect buying a Fenix.

I'm thinking maybe I should just buy a Surefire 6PX.

Thoughts?

2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I never had a problem with Fenix. Sometimes i dont like the user interfaces they use, but never a problem with quality.

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Although I haven't used a PD32, the other Fenix lights I own are well built and none of them are fragile.

Fenix is made in China and the ease of warranty service, should you require it, depends heavily on the dealer. Therefore, I recommend you purchase your Fenix from a reputable dealer with a good return policy and a wider selection of Fenix lights.

4. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Having no experience with Quarks and little with Surefire, I think Fenix is a great value. I have come close to getting a PD32 but I'm not a fan of the two button UI. My fenix lights have never failed to please.

5. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

if you want a light that can handle a beating.... get a malkoff drop-in for your 6P.

in terms of toughness, i dont think the thickness of how a light is machined has a larger part as the components in it. such as the switch, or driver housing.
    usually when a light fails, its due to the switch, which is an exposed mechanical moving part. Surefires momentary switch is near fail-proof. just not much there for it to go wrong.

malkoff modules are only 2 modes. on and off, super simple, super reliable.

Parnass has great advice about buying from a reputable dealer. i had a defective fenix out the box once, the dealer ignored me, fenix on the other hand was very responsive and had great communication, fenix tried helping me track down the light, in fact it was a pd31. but the dealer whom i purchased it from went MIA. i considered it a lost, and lesson learned.
    the only other light ive ever received defective was a surefire LX2, fortunately i bought it from a dealer with great customer service, and everything worked out quickly.

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I think the Fenix is going to very close to the 4/7s light, albeit a little better in the build quality department. Neither can really compared the Surefire in toughness (as SF cannot compare in terms of $$ or features). However, the Fenix is way behind the other two in terms in warranty and customer service, if you do ever have a failure.

7. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Fenix are all I carry I own 5 of them never had a problem with any of them.

8. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I carry their cheap AAA on my keys, which is a silly big bunch, in my work trousers, so always getting bashed up against said keys, other hand tools, leant on, pressed against things etc (I work in construction basically), and it's been fine.

I also carry a PD30 when not at work, but it gets sat on, bashes against coins/keys/various multitools in my pocket, including my big bad leatherman MUT, which can kill just about anything, and that's fine too.

You'll be just fine with a fenix!

9. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

PD3 Q5 for 5 or 6 years. Great price and great bit of kit. Very happy with it.

10. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

I should say so!

I have seven Fenix's some of them about six years old and never a problem with any of them.

If you can go for decent rechargeables and you wont go wrong.

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fenix is pretty good - they have a consistently good reputation at CPF and I've never had any issues with the Fenix lights I've bought. That said, I stick to the simple single or dual mode lights.

As for your Surefire, the Surefire LED module isn't bad, but it isn't great, either. I definitely recommend upgrading to a Malkoff module - they're single mode drop-ins, but they are frigging near indestructible. Well worth the money and the performance blows away the stock Surefire P60L module. The M61 (which Jon has in stock) has a higher output and a longer runtime than the P60L. You won't regret it.

-Trevor

12. Rogue9

Rogue9 Loaded Pockets

I have had fewer problems with my one Fenix than the 2 surefires I've owned.
    my surefires are having an odd flickering problem even after throughly cleaning all contact points.

I've dropped my fenix out of pocked a dozen times and yes it's getting banged up but still going strong.

13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

My PD20 has hit the pavement several times and is still going strong. My TK10 is a tank.

14. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

EndlessFields Loaded Pockets

Contact Surefire. When they say lifetime warranty they mean it. No questions asked. Best customer service I've ever dealt with.

15. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Fenix L1D, I have dropped it many times, still works great.

16. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

I've had my PD30 for almost three years, great buy for me. I like the 5 modes it has. Still my EDC light of choice.

17. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Funny thing, my PD20 doesn't like rechargeables, mode selection doesn't work right. I can get strobe functions, but none of the low modes.

18. vic2367

vic2367 Loaded Pockets

i have 4 fenix and all get used at different times for different things , all are excellent lights , never had a problem and use great LEDS

19. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

I have 6 Fenix lights, one of them is the new LD12. Fenix is good for the money in my opinion. I had a 2 year old LD20 and it's still very very good, though I dropped it a couple of times while night cycling. My dad owns the E01. It bashes with all his keys inside his pocket but still working very fine. Never had experience with Fenix that runs 123s, but I trust Fenix.

20. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

For a Chinese light I don't think it gets much better than Fenix. The only way you can go wrong with a fenix is if you chose it over a surefire. Other than that, you basically made the best choice IMO.

sx7