1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is Anyone Else Loosing Interest in the EX10/D10?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by jag-engr, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Now that I have become familiar to the UI I really like my EX10.It has been my go-to EDC for a while.Typically I want fairly bright light so I leave it on high but it is easy enough to switch if I need less light or to extend battery life in an emergency.The Extreme is also a nice light but the EX10 wins out for EDC because of its small size.

2. snidera

snidera Loaded Pockets

I never really fell in love with the D10. Lost the tint lottery on both I've had (sickly blue on both GD+ & Q5), and both had an audible whine on high (which is a deal killer, i have good ears). Fort me, it's too fat to pocket carry (up against the L0D I EDC, it will never win).

I keep the Q5 in my truck as a fast access light w/ the bezel loosened so it's momentary on. I still find myself grabbing the P3D in the console more than the D10, unless i really need a light quickly. D10 is stuck between the seats, right next to my leg.

I've bought 10-12 lights in the $40-80 range in the last year and a half, it's the only one I'd like to have my money back on.

3. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

That's gotta be what, some $400-960?
    Been there myself, spending lots of money, little by little, up until I realized i could have bought a McGizmo Lunasol or something like that, and done with (yeah, sure...)
    And, no, still haven't started on the $400 lights, but my Surefire collection could probably raise enough money for a couple of them.

Geez, this flashlight disease is really getting to us all!

4. snidera

snidera Loaded Pockets

EDC Forums & CPF were hell on my wallet last year.
    Guns
    Knives
    Flashlights....
    I didn't figure it up exactly, but i think 4Sevens got 600+ from me in 2008, not all of that was for me, but every time a friend wanted to order a light i seemed to get a new one as well.
    At least i have the money to spend, this year I'm paying off my truck (2yrs early) & not buying any lights or knives ( have a good collection of useful stuff now) Well, maybe a few lights and knives......
    Guns, gotta buy while i can :)

5. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

I love the size, shape, output of my d10. But it doesn't work for me. To complicated for my uses and when I am holding the button down and walking on uneven ground I accidently let up pressure and change settings - maybe I don't know what I am doing.

Ideally I would have a light that is just like my d10 with a switch like an e1b but I haven't done enough research to find one.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I think that the piston drive's advantage is most pronounced in a McGizmo application. The Surefire L1 has a 2-stage switch, but the switch adds approximately an inch to the length of the light. McGizmo's 2-stage piston drive lights have the 2-stage functionality in less length than a normal clicky switch light.

There is a CPF member who goes by "dev" who had figured out how to reprogram the Nitecore D10. I contacted him about writing a simple 2-stage McGizmo-style program for the lights. He said he could, but it might be cost-prohibitive to have a light reprogrammed, since I don't know the first thing about programming.

7. AJC629

AJC629 Empty Pockets

The D10 is my newest addition, and I've got few. I'm a big fan of www.candlepowerforums.com. Clean the D10 up, spray it down with silicone spray, wife off any major excess, and away you go!

8. skassam

skassam Loaded Pockets

Excuse my ignorance. But what is the deal with the silicone spray?

9. AJC629

AJC629 Empty Pockets

The directions that came with mine said to used silicone based lube on the rings, so I figured what the heck, use 100% silicone spray around the inner tube, threads and rings, wipe off the major excess. Problem solved! Hope that helped!

10. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

The button on these lights is often quite stiff as shipped. Cleaning up the piston and using a good silicone lubricant makes it much easier to use.

--bob Q

11. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

Just got mine this morning. Very cool light, but yes the piston was a little stiff. I wiped off the excess and it is better. I have some silicone spray at home that I will try next to see if that helps.

Love the form factor and the output. Nice and white to my eyes.

Cheers
    Sean

12. m16a

m16a Empty Pockets

Well, if my registry of the lights on CPF is any indication, then no one is losing interest. We've got 340 lights registered and they JUST KEEP COMING!!! :woohoo:

13. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the NiteCore family! i still EDC either an EX10 or D10 every day since i got them. My next purchase in the light world is going to be either a D20 or the Extreme. I'm leaning towards the extreme just for its size and output, which according to 4Sevens is higher than the D20.

Anyway..enjoy the light. I still love both of mine!

14. KiloKeychain

KiloKeychain Empty Pockets

Still use my D10 as my work EDC, gotta love variable brightness.
    Fenix L2D Q5's as bike lights since they don't kill the batteries as hard.