1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is Anyone Else Loosing Interest in the EX10/D10?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by jag-engr, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

When I first got the EX10, I thought it was THE ultimate EDC flashlight. I carried it exclusively for quite a while. I still appreciate its compact size, low low, and cool tritium slot, but beyond that I've become rather disenchanted with it. It's still my prefered nightstand light, thanks to the trit vial and relatively low low, but I've gone back to my Fenix P2T lego for EDC.

Am I alone in this, or does anyone else find this happening?

If NiteCore came out with a true, two-mode McGizmo style piston drive, I would be all over it, assuming that the tow modes are well-placed, but, for now, all the clicking is just starting to seem like too much trouble. The piston drive just seems to be better suited to a simpler UI, IMO.

I am considering the LF3XT, but I'm just not impressed by its lack of efficiency.

2. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

I'm still loving mine actually. I still EDC my EX10 that I got from you actually, haha. I need to get a pocket clip for the D10 so I can swap them out. But I still carry mine constantly, even around the house I usually always have it in my pocket.

Of course I usually always have my Surefire 6P close by. Not that theres anything wrong with a Nitecore (cause I am in fact a fanboy of the Nitecore, lol), but its nice to have a Surefire handy too.

So to answer the question, I haven't lost interest in mine yet. I still catch myself sometimes looking at them and still being amazed that such a small piece has such an awesome light.

3. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I still love my EX-10, but really wish it had the trit slot and trit installed. I am not interested in buying both separately and doing it myself. Still looking to pick one up used with the trit installed.

4. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

When I got my D10, I thought it would be my regular EDC. In reality, I still liked my other lights, so it is now in rotation with a NDI and Fenix LD10. If I know I will need a really low mode, the D10 is my first choice.

5. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

I just got the LF3XT 2 days ago but my batteries haven't arrived (im getting very impatient :rant:) so i cant use it. :brickwall:

6. archer-ca

archer-ca Loaded Pockets

Got my EX10 with Slot Piston and Tritium in an EDC rotation with my other Nitecore, an Extreme. I love the UI of the EX10 but love the tacti-cool look of the Extreme. ;D

I'm awaiting to see what Nitecore will come out with next. Anyone hear of anything?

Norman

7. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

There are going to be updated version of the D10, Ex10 and others coming out soon. You can go to 4Sevens website and there is info there about them. Little brighter than current versions from what I've gathered so far, among other things I'm sure.

I've been thinking of picking up an extreme as my next model from Nitecore. How is it in hand? Is it noticibly brighter than the D10/EX10?

8. archer-ca

archer-ca Loaded Pockets

Thanks XeroThe Hero! :highfive: I'll check out 4Seven's website later.

[​IMG]
    Aside from the tactical styling the Extreme is quite compact with very bright performance. I have the GDP version and love the smooth white LED. It seems a tad brighter than the EX10. I do not have a D10 so I cannot compare. In the hand I find it comfortable.
    [​IMG]

I utilize a Mini Cobra Lanyard from TheLanyardZone for a small strappie. Quite handy and scoots to the side when clipped in pocket. I also have a mini Tritium vile attached for added Geek Factor :idiot2:

Cheers,

Norman

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Still not bored of the original (McLux PD) after 3 years. I sold my EX10 to someone who needed it more. Have yet to replace it but I really liked that light.

10. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

I got tired of my EX10 and D10 rather early and now they are sitting on a shelf. :shrug:

The main reason: the action of the famed piston is not that smooth, it is sometimes hard to push, some other times the light stays on when you want it off, etc. :rolleyes:

I have dismantled them both, cleaned, lubed and everything but still they appear to need too much attention for my liking. :(

I now EDC a Liteflux LF3XT. ;D

11. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Still enjoying both my D10/EX10. Best little lights I've personally owned.

12. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

My EX10 with clip is firm in the rotation scheme of things. Still plenty of love for this flashlight. Do not care about tritium or aftermarket bezels, it's fine as it is.

Best reasons for keeping it in use are the rechargeable compatibility and the low low, along with all it's other features. For reference, my rotation includes 8 different Surefires (some modded or legoed), a BitZ, a Twisty 100Tw, and a Novatac 120P, amongst others: all these flashlights are in the same performance league of the EX10, and yet all cost much more!

13. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

My EX10 is still a favorite. The trit slot/trit make it a great bedside light. The pocket clip keeps it in EDC rotation. My Novatac 120p is now my usual go to light, but I still use my EX10 regularly.

14. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I've been very pleased with my EX10. It went into my pocket on the day it arrived and has stayed there ever since. Best combination of controls and options that I've found for my needs.

The only concern I've had about the EX10 is that it's actually a little short to feel good in my hand. Not something I ever expected to complain about in a light, but times do change. :) I just ordered a D10 R2 to see whether that suits me just a little better.

--Bob Q

15. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I never got on the "piston drive" boat. Yeah it's novel idea, but I just don't see the advantage over regular switches, they list quite a few, but i don't see any of them being significant enough to affect performance. :shrug:

16. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

:iagree:

I just got my batts 2 days ago :whee:
    LiteFlux LF3XT is such a GREAT flashlight.
    It's everything I wanted and more :winkwink:

17. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

I'm still in love with mine. It's just about perfect for my needs.

18. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

if anyone is losing interest with theirs, let me know, I want one of these badly. ;D

Cheers,
    Sean

19. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I'm still happy with my D10. I'm not sure what you mean by "all the clicking". I mostly keep mine on the dimmest setting, and push-and-hold to ramp up when I want more light. I double-click to reset it back to low again, but that's not onerous. There are changes I'd make if I could, but it's eminently usable.

And I like the low low, and the variety of batteries.

20. archer-ca

archer-ca Loaded Pockets

You have email :)

Norman