1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is 60 lumens still acceptable?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by lagriffe, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jcc

jcc Banned

A quick search on Amazon.com reveals that I can purchase an E1B right now, brand new for $124, a savings of 22%.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001X5HS24/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A17MC6HOH9AVE6

2. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

Someone is selling a e1b in one of the sales thread

3. jcc

jcc Banned

It has since been withdrawn. The point is that you can still find discounted NEW Surefire flashlights around, you just to invest more than five seconds looking for it.

By the way, I live in the middle of nowhere and use my flashlight, literally, everyday when I get home. Some of these comments make me question how people are using their lights. </facepalm> You don't need a 800+ lumens, or even 200 lumens (SF E2DL reference); I use my 5 lumen (SF E1B) mode and think it's more than enough, especially when there isn't any light pollution interfering.

4. gregozedobe

gregozedobe Loaded Pockets

I'm another low-lumen enthusuiast, I use less than 1 lumen for pottering around the house late at night without waking everyone else up quite a bit. It is surprising how useful very low levels of light can be once your eyes get properly dark-adapted. And when my eyes are dark adapted too much light all of a sudden actually hurts.

I do have (much) brighter lights for when I want to see more (or further), but my Photon Freedom Micro is by far my most used light these days (and more on Low than on Max).

5. azzid

azzid Empty Pockets

To answer the OP's question. Yes, 60 lumens is still very useful. You might be surprised that a 15-18lm light will be enough for most up-close task specially if your really in a dark place/area.

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Wow....I typically consider 19 lm my "high". I most often use 0.2 lm as my "low" and 4 lm as my "med." My EDC has an 83 lm max, but I only use that to spot wildlife, or ride bicycles at speed in the dark. A 1xAA EDC doesn't have a ton of capacity - I guess I like to conserve it, as well as my night vision.

7. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I'm not trying to pick on AcesQ, because everyone's just basically giving their opinion here. But do you know who's an expert in flashlights as a tactical defense/nonlethal force option? Surefire. And they consider anything 50+ to be viable for "tactical use." From their 2012 catalog:

@IMightBeWrong, note that it's 50, not 80.

So ultimately the question of whether 60 lumens is enough hinges on what you're using it for. Surefire didn't start releasing cheap 200-500 lumen lights because that's what you NEED for most law enforcement applications. They didn't do it because muggers are suddenly ten times less sensitive to light and you NEED it to disorient them. They did it to stay competitive with folks like Fenix, Streamlight, etc. who have been playing the lumen game for enthusiasts and others.

If the point is to disorient an attacker, the same 50-100 lumens that used to do it will continue to do that; the problem of using significantly more light is that you'll start to negatively affect your own darkness-adjusted eyes.

In short, want and need are different. It seems like OP's fishing for an excuse to get a new light. I say go for it!

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And, to be fair, if I have to search a yard at night, I'd much rather have 200 lumens over 60. It isn't just a matter of trying to stay competitive, although I have to imagine that did play a role.

-Trevor