1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

IRONKEY

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by indabayou, Sep 15, 2009.

1. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Thinking of buying an IRONKEY flashdrive. Good points.......Bad points.I know ya'll can help :)

2. paulie

paulie Empty Pockets

Have the 8gb. No problems with it, love the passcode and encryption features. Built solid. Keep most on it, even programs that I run, so all info's self contained within it, and not on a host machine.

3. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

Which one?

All ironkeys have:
    Hardware based AES encyption.
    Tough enough metal to dig outta prison
    Waterproof
    Pretty good transfer speeds
    Smaller than other "super secure" flash drives.

Con:
    One of the more expensive flash drives out there.

4. Warfighter

Warfighter Empty Pockets

Have they solved the security issue of the master password not being secure? A virtual keyboard or something so keystroke loggers can't pick up the initial password.

5. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I remember reading a review on those through one of the many pc mags I check daily but have yet to find it. I was thinking it was maximumpc that pretty much gave it an "eh" review.

6. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the feedback ya'll :)

7. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I love it. Ive read a few interviews with the guy behind it, and a few security experts tore it apart, and its by far one of the most secure things out there. A bit pricey but definitely worth it. Even physically rugged.

8. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've had an IronKey for a couple years, and I'm really happy with it. I normally carry two thumb drives - the IK for business and sensitive personal stuff, account numbers, passwords etc and a cheapo higher capacity / smaller sized drive for hassle-free transfers of low-value data that doesn't need to be secured (photos, mp3s, pdfs of books, ripped movies). I destroyed my previous non-IK drive - the shroud around the connector cracked apart, and then I think the whole thing shorted - but the IK is rock solid. Note that the finish will scratch and scuff pretty badly if you aren't careful, but you'd be hard pressed to go beyond cosmetic damage.

I appreciate that the IK can be used with Linux and Mac (and of course windows) - although most of the extra 'frills' are windows-only.

Buy the biggest one you can afford - it'll seem ludicrously small long before it wears out. My 2G IK seemed pretty big when I got it, although it's got plenty of space for what I put on it.

Data security is a significant part of my day job; I'm satisfied with the IronKeys security, and I found the performance is much better than a normal drive with TrueCrypt - with much less tinkering (although a faster PC may have helped).

9. tennvol

tennvol Empty Pockets

Yes, there is now a virtual keyboard. If you have issues/concerns with screenloggers they keyboard can "randomize" the letters.

10. TKD

TKD Empty Pockets

The fit and finish is pretty crappy for the price IMO. The pics online are very misleading.

11. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

These IRONKEYS are pretty nice, but in my opinion a tad overpriced..... A little while ago i was looking for a way to store some sensitive data whilst keeping it mobile and i found a different solution: I bought myself a nice Sandisk Titanium Cruzer because they are rather large and cheap but still quite strong! I then worked my way into the U3 part on the stick, wiped it and wrote a nice little homebrew autorun menu with the TrueCrypt software 'embedded' and i now run a nice little mobile piece of security on the stick.. it has AES-256 encryption, plausible deniability and uses some pretty nifty keyfile systems for added security! I love it, its pretty secure and most of all, it wont break your bank, especially for the larger models (16GB).

12. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Not yet, computers i usually work on haven't been made idiot proof.....