1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone to Android?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by aicolainen, Sep 14, 2017.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Not looking for a fanboy war, just good reasons to stay or leave.

I recently damaged my old iPhone 6 beyond repair, so have to get a new one.

Generally I'm very happy with iPhone/iOS, but like everyone I have a few gripes.
    Note: two of my long standing gripes seems to be fixed; option to use look-up service for unknown numbers and now also wireless charging on the new models.

They (Apple) also drive me slightly insane by forcing their apps on me, like when I plug it into my car, Music starts by default, and I nearly drive off the road before I have stopped it, and got my favorite streaming service going.
    Similarly, but not nearly as frustrating is that it always defaults to Safari, Map and so on.

Their obsession on removing ports, leaving you with just a few proprietary ports and a $hitload of adapters.

Last gripe I can pull from the top of my head (but not least) is the way they try to isolate IDEs like Pythonista. I can always get external code into the phone by copy pasting, they just make my workflow unnecessarily frustrating.

If I look past those gripes, I very much like the rest. Their phones (like most of their products) feels like A PRODUCT. Much what you get from other vendors just feels like components and SW thrown together to make a nice spec sheet, and then add some bloat ware on top to keep the price down.
    It's also easy and effortless to upgrade to new models, backup and restore is trouble free. Interaction with other apple devices like iPad and Mac is also very smooth.

Still, with those above mentioned gripes in mind, I'm now seriously considering a Samsung Galaxy S8.
    The Note 8 looks even nicer, but doesn't seem very pocket friendly.
    No need to suggest other Android devices. I don't like the position Samsung and Apple have in the market, but factors outside my control means these are the makes I can chose between.
    I see from reviews that fingerprint sensor isn't very fast and well placed. Any experience, how is it for real world use?
    Other positives / negatives regarding Samsung / Android?

iPhone X looks like an amazing piece of HW, but I think my gripes will still be present, and even though I'm not paying for my phones, I do feel it's a bit expensive for what it is (a tool that I use pretty hard, and could break at any time). Then there's availability. I don't really know if I can rely on my iPhone 4S until ipX becomes available in Norway.

Any input will be appreciated, especially if you have first hand experience on switching between the two.

JED1985, Tallboyjim and dml24 like this.
  2. Locked-Out

Locked-Out Loaded Pockets

I love my Samsung S7 and find you have far more freedom with android however i have gripes. Although you can change default software to disabled Samsung won't let you delete it. They are all apps from the big ones Google, Microsoft, amazon so on. The only way to delete these apps is to root your phone which voids your warranty and breaks the phones encryption. The amount of dodgy processes running seemingly sending my data to all types of third parties gave me the creeps.

I did root my S7 and deleted about 30 apps and 167 processes and the battery lasted for days on end and mobile data usage dropped to a new low. Then I deleted one too many and broke it and had to flash a new unrooted image in the phone.

Plus side
    Freedom to run all sorts of apps
    S8 lovely looking phone
    Waterproof
    Open source software available
    Root ability to give even more freedom and different OS's
    Open and stream all types of media for free

Con
    Very very expensive screen replacement (get insurance) I didn't and it's £250 plus
    Bloat ware apps from Samsung
    Ability to brick your phone if you don't know what your doing when rooted

Have the iPhone 6s Plus for work and love it. But I have a few gripes lol

You are limited to Apples App Store and you couldn't run any apps from anywhere else if you tried. You can't even open an mp3/4 AVI whatever file from any source even if you mail it to yourself. Freedom to use anything else than apple products seem to be a no no. But i guess this does mean that Apple devices remain nice and stable and virus free. In term I third party data Apple are an extremely trustworthy company but whenever they have a new iPhone I swear they turn off half their infrastructure for the previous model mine runs slow for the iPhone 7 and iPhone x release and come on Apple where's the vision gone if mr jobs was around we would have projectable screens and keyboards with iPhone x or something innovative not bigger screen more power for the last 5 years.

Positives
    Stable and virus free
    iPhone x looks amazing in terms of design
    Waterproof
    Intuitive OS

Cons
    Bloody expensive to buy
    Limitations on apps and software to the Apple monopoly
    Expensive screens replacement get insurance lol I've broken both
    A little boring now for me

But although I have mainly listed gripes both phones are the best on the marked and are wkd. It doesn't take long to get used the the android OS once you find the back button.

To sum it up:

Apple for work
    Samsung for play

Maybe one day there will be an open source Linux based phone and then we can all be happy.....

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim and aicolainen like this.
  3. aicolainen

I decided to try Android once again. Can always go back iPhone if I'm not satisfied.

Should arrive next week. Asked to get the LED cover as well. I don't like covers, but it looked cool and I'm already deep into expanding my horizon here :)

All the work stuff runs in some encrypted citrix sandbox, so I guess the IT department know what they're doing handing out "play-phones".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locked-Out likes this.
  4. Locked-Out

Locked-Out Loaded Pockets

Nice one ...Although I am excited to have a play on an iPhone x I know it's will let me down in terms of expectations if mr jobs was still running the company. I would have chosen the Samsung too for its versatility and compatibility. I've never been able to connect an apple device to tv for media streaming without buying something extra lol

I'm interested to see the led case, I hate cases too but that's why both my screens are bust lol

Citrix on your Samsung, hmmmmm I may have to download and see if I can get to my work xenn desktop. I may never come back from lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aicolainen likes this.
  5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

My wife and I recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S8. The phones are a joy to use. All the adaptability that comes with the Android OS, any bloatware one does not like can be uninstalled. Icons for you apps can be placed where the user wants them.

The camera on the S8/S8+ and Note8 is amazing. I have taken low light pictures with great, and in fact for me totally unexpected results.

The new USB3/ USB-C is about as fast the lightning connector and since there is no right way up the connector goes in easily.
    There a host of other new features that also contribute to the S8/S8+/Note8 popularity.

Some complain about the fingerprint sensor. Yes is it close to the camera lens, not so much with the Note8. After a short period of use I was able to consistently able to get my finger in the right place and now rarely place my finger on the lens. This is non-issue unless one is truly an A type personality who wants everything just so.

Are the new Galaxy phone perfect, no. No product on the market is. There is just to many personal preference's to fulfill such phone in the real world. The new Galaxy family are no doubt some of the best on the market.

Of the above is IMHO.

aicolainen likes this.
  6. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I love my S8+ I never have a problem with the fingerprint scanner and i have a defender case. Screen is large enough yet the phone seems non existent in my hand. Im not sure if other phones have a blue light filter but this does and i can go without eye strain. IP68 is awesome. I would have a hard time going to anything but Samsung, I had a Note 3 was a little over 3 years and it was the absolute best phone i have had and I work in HVAC and construction and it has survived alot just hope my S8+ will also. Not to mention when I went to the Verizon store they had the iphone 7 locked in a box so you couldnt even hold it so the heck with Apple not even allowing Android users to even get a feel for it. My rant is now over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aicolainen likes this.
  7. dRo0G

dRo0G Loaded Pockets

I (IT Guy) had several phone OS to work with, Mainly iOS, Android and Windows phone. WP is dead so I am left with iOS or Android. Yesterday iOS11 was released. Today nearly 80% of the iPhones are running it (don't nail me on the number ;)). I made the update without a backup because I NEVER had a problem updating an iPhone (and I was in charge of 150+ at my old workplace...). The newest Android O is running on 0,2% of the devices and the release wasn't yesterday. I have a one year old Xiaomi Phone from last year, high end. Stuck at Android 5.11.....
    I personally will never go back to any Android phone. IF I ever would buy an Android Phone it has to be from google itself, the only devices that are getting updates in an acceptable time (some vendors never update)
    Apple may make odd decisions sometimes and u need adapters, but in days where my phone saves half of my life-history I don't want to run around with an attackable phone that gets no updates after a year rather than buy an adapter for 10€ :)

8. aicolainen

True. It was also some of the reasoning for me moving to Apple some time ago.
    I always liked iPhone from a security perspective, they were the first (I know off) to HW encrypt the entire device. Blackberry will probably claim that, but I've had some sketchy experiences with BB that makes me think otherwise.

I just got my Galaxy S8, and just starting it up, with all the terms and conditions I have to accept to just get started freaks my out some what. Had it for 10 minutes now and I already feel I've lost control. Hope it's more uphill from here

9. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I like iPhone, sleek design and smooth look.. but they make it hard to modify things.. It's kinda like a package deal.. I have had an Android for about 5 years now.. my wife still has apples... I can upload share, modify as I see fit.. She has to go to the laptop and plug the thing in to get to iTunes before she can install a fancy ringtone what lets her know its me calling for phone ses..

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have switched between iPhones and Samsung Android phones so I am not an Apple fanboy. You do not need to use iTunes to install a fancy ringtone. As a matter of fact my niece in 6th grade added a ringtone just for her on my iPhone while we were driving to a school event. She also has Siri calling me "poopy diaper".

11. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

My first smartphone was an iphone 3g, then I went android for several years. I decided at some point to try apple again, and bought a 6s+. I liked it, it was a very nice, smooth phone. But, i HATE itunes, i hate having to sync to get things on and off the phone, and I hate the lack of customization.

I lasted maybe 6 months with the 6s+ before i was sick of it and went back to android. Currently I have a factory unlocked s8, so it has no carrier bloatware. Its been getting updates quickly, and functions perfectly for me. Expandable storage, great battery life, perfectly smooth, endless customization options without even rooting.

Tallboyjim and jest3886 like this.
  12. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

I was an apple guy for years then switched to android. I'm going back to an iPhone. I think it's more secure, and there are fewer issues with getting updates

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

13. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Yes, yes and thrice yes. I cannot stand iTunes it's awful but I've lived with it. But I've had issues with moving/deleting photos without syncing and trying to replace and/or move them is a right pain. The last time it happened was the straw that broke the camels back. Takes about 30 seconds on my new Samsung tablet. The apps don't feel as slick but I've taken the plunge and ordered an S8+ to replace my paolithic iPhone 5s. I'm not mega excited or anything but it will be delivered in 2 hours and 34 minutes!

Dustin.G likes this.
  14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have never been convinced that going to an iPhone would make a difference. Android phones are secure if the user is prudent and chooses security measures correctly. Android apps and settings allow the android user far more flexibility than Apples restrictive operating system.

The above of course IMHO.

xevious and nolaradio like this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I sure hope you've been saving your shekels up to now....!!!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. aicolainen

I can see from my earlier post that I got my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) around September 8th.
    With almost 2 months of experience, my impression so far isn't too great. It's by far the best Android phone I've owned, but the features I've gained by this move does not make up for the added pains.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

17. nemezote

nemezote Loaded Pockets

Android all the way. Much more customizable as it is an open system, plus you can pick from hundreds of devices to find the one that suits your needs and price point. For me, its a no-brainer.

Gary Gross likes this.
  18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I would disagree about Android providing more flexibility with the apps since Apple allows the user more ability to disable beacons, GPS and power usage than my last Samsung Galaxy phone

Some Android models such as my One Plus did have some of the features similar to iOS

19. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Cripes my S8+ is big!

No idea how I'm going to get it in my pockets given the rest of detritus I carry around.

20. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I have an iPhone 7 Plus private and a Samsung S7 for work. Android is terrible!
    And iTunes? Only use it to play music…