1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone to Android?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by aicolainen, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:53 AM.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Not looking for a fanboy war, just good reasons to stay or leave.

I recently damaged my old iPhone 6 beyond repair, so have to get a new one.

Generally I'm very happy with iPhone/iOS, but like everyone I have a few gripes.
    Note: two of my long standing gripes seems to be fixed; option to use look-up service for unknown numbers and now also wireless charging on the new models.

They (Apple) also drive me slightly insane by forcing their apps on me, like when I plug it into my car, Music starts by default, and I nearly drive off the road before I have stopped it, and got my favorite streaming service going.
    Similarly, but not nearly as frustrating is that it always defaults to Safari, Map and so on.

Their obsession on removing ports, leaving you with just a few proprietary ports and a $hitload of adapters.

Last gripe I can pull from the top of my head (but not least) is the way they try to isolate IDEs like Pythonista. I can always get external code into the phone by copy pasting, they just make my workflow unnecessarily frustrating.

If I look past those gripes, I very much like the rest. Their phones (like most of their products) feels like A PRODUCT. Much what you get from other vendors just feels like components and SW thrown together to make a nice spec sheet, and then add some bloat ware on top to keep the price down.
    It's also easy and effortless to upgrade to new models, backup and restore is trouble free. Interaction with other apple devices like iPad and Mac is also very smooth.

Still, with those above mentioned gripes in mind, I'm now seriously considering a Samsung Galaxy S8.
    The Note 8 looks even nicer, but doesn't seem very pocket friendly.
    No need to suggest other Android devices. I don't like the position Samsung and Apple have in the market, but factors outside my control means these are the makes I can chose between.
    I see from reviews that fingerprint sensor isn't very fast and well placed. Any experience, how is it for real world use?
    Other positives / negatives regarding Samsung / Android?

iPhone X looks like an amazing piece of HW, but I think my gripes will still be present, and even though I'm not paying for my phones, I do feel it's a bit expensive for what it is (a tool that I use pretty hard, and could break at any time). Then there's availability. I don't really know if I can rely on my iPhone 4S until ipX becomes available in Norway.

Any input will be appreciated, especially if you have first hand experience on switching between the two.

Tallboyjim and dml24 like this.
  2. Locked-Out

Locked-Out Empty Pockets

I love my Samsung S7 and find you have far more freedom with android however i have gripes. Although you can change default software to disabled Samsung won't let you delete it. They are all apps from the big ones Google, Microsoft, amazon so on. The only way to delete these apps is to root your phone which voids your warranty and breaks the phones encryption. The amount of dodgy processes running seemingly sending my data to all types of third parties gave me the creeps.

I did root my S7 and deleted about 30 apps and 167 processes and the battery lasted for days on end and mobile data usage dropped to a new low. Then I deleted one too many and broke it and had to flash a new unrooted image in the phone.

Plus side
    Freedom to run all sorts of apps
    S8 lovely looking phone
    Waterproof
    Open source software available
    Root ability to give even more freedom and different OS's
    Open and stream all types of media for free

Con
    Very very expensive screen replacement (get insurance) I didn't and it's £250 plus
    Bloat ware apps from Samsung
    Ability to brick your phone if you don't know what your doing when rooted

Have the iPhone 6s Plus for work and love it. But I have a few gripes lol

You are limited to Apples App Store and you couldn't run any apps from anywhere else if you tried. You can't even open an mp3/4 AVI whatever file from any source even if you mail it to yourself. Freedom to use anything else than apple products seem to be a no no. But i guess this does mean that Apple devices remain nice and stable and virus free. In term I third party data Apple are an extremely trustworthy company but whenever they have a new iPhone I swear they turn off half their infrastructure for the previous model mine runs slow for the iPhone 7 and iPhone x release and come on Apple where's the vision gone if mr jobs was around we would have projectable screens and keyboards with iPhone x or something innovative not bigger screen more power for the last 5 years.

Positives
    Stable and virus free
    iPhone x looks amazing in terms of design
    Waterproof
    Intuitive OS

Cons
    Bloody expensive to buy
    Limitations on apps and software to the Apple monopoly
    Expensive screens replacement get insurance lol I've broken both
    A little boring now for me

But although I have mainly listed gripes both phones are the best on the marked and are wkd. It doesn't take long to get used the the android OS once you find the back button.

To sum it up:

Apple for work
    Samsung for play

Maybe one day there will be an open source Linux based phone and then we can all be happy.....

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim and aicolainen like this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I decided to try Android once again. Can always go back iPhone if I'm not satisfied.

Should arrive next week. Asked to get the LED cover as well. I don't like covers, but it looked cool and I'm already deep into expanding my horizon here :)

All the work stuff runs in some encrypted citrix sandbox, so I guess the IT department know what they're doing handing out "play-phones".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locked-Out likes this.
  4. Locked-Out

Locked-Out Empty Pockets

Nice one ...Although I am excited to have a play on an iPhone x I know it's will let me down in terms of expectations if mr jobs was still running the company. I would have chosen the Samsung too for its versatility and compatibility. I've never been able to connect an apple device to tv for media streaming without buying something extra lol

I'm interested to see the led case, I hate cases too but that's why both my screens are bust lol

Citrix on your Samsung, hmmmmm I may have to download and see if I can get to my work xenn desktop. I may never come back from lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aicolainen likes this.
  5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

My wife and I recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S8. The phones are a joy to use. All the adaptability that comes with the Android OS, any bloatware one does not like can be uninstalled. Icons for you apps can be placed where the user wants them.

The camera on the S8/S8+ and Note8 is amazing. I have taken low light pictures with great, and in fact for me totally unexpected results.

The new USB3/ USB-C is about as fast the lightning connector and since there is no right way up the connector goes in easily.
    There a host of other new features that also contribute to the S8/S8+/Note8 popularity.

Some complain about the fingerprint sensor. Yes is it close to the camera lens, not so much with the Note8. After a short period of use I was able to consistently able to get my finger in the right place and now rarely place my finger on the lens. This is non-issue unless one is truly an A type personality who wants everything just so.

Are the new Galaxy phone perfect, no. No product on the market is. There is just to many personal preference's to fulfill such phone in the real world. The new Galaxy family are no doubt some of the best on the market.

Of the above is IMHO.

aicolainen likes this.
  6. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I love my S8+ I never have a problem with the fingerprint scanner and i have a defender case. Screen is large enough yet the phone seems non existent in my hand. Im not sure if other phones have a blue light filter but this does and i can go without eye strain. IP68 is awesome. I would have a hard time going to anything but Samsung, I had a Note 3 was a little over 3 years and it was the absolute best phone i have had and I work in HVAC and construction and it has survived alot just hope my S8+ will also. Not to mention when I went to the Verizon store they had the iphone 7 locked in a box so you couldnt even hold it so the heck with Apple not even allowing Android users to even get a feel for it. My rant is now over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aicolainen likes this.