1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone Otterbox carry problem solved

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ljshooter, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ljshooter

ljshooter Loaded Pockets

Wll I am for the most part a "lurker" but my brother and I have had a common problem with our iPhone Otterbox cases.

This is for anyone who has an iPhone with the otterbox and hate the crappy belt attachment it came with. I searched all over the net for a belt pouch that will hold the otterbox without the need for 3lbs of crisco to pry the case from the belt pouch.

I happened to walk into this store and this pouch caught my eye. I tried it out and it fits perfectly. As a added bonus it has an internal slot for holding credit cards and drivers license.

I hope this helps someone out.

http://www.lighthound.com/Nite-Ize-Sport-Case-Tone-Wide-Black-Phone-Holster_p_3039.html

[​IMG]

2. Hahn

Hahn Empty Pockets

I just purchased the Otterbox for mine last night and am curious. What is so bad about the belt attachement it comes with?

3. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

The Otterbox design was updated. In the original it was very difficult to remove the case from the belt clip. This is not an issue with the current version. No sure if the OP has other issues with the belt clip. I had the original and contacted the Otterbox CS after the silicon cover ripped. They sent me the new version under warranty. I was pretty stoked.

4. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Is the Night-eye's pouch meant to replace the otterbox or to hold the otterbox?

5. Hahn

Hahn Empty Pockets

Thanks Dizos. I was wondering if I was just missing something; it seems to work fine for me.

6. ljshooter

ljshooter Loaded Pockets

The belt clip that holds the otterbox is what I found to be an issue. I felt it was too easy to remove so much that any sudden moves would cause it to fall out. I figure if it comes out that easy then what is to keep someone from doing the ol' snatch and run.

The problem was not with just mine but also with my brother's otterbox. His fell out just as easy and we both have purchased these in the past two months. I have additionally read similar reports on the web concerning this issue.

My otterbox fits perfectly inside the nite ize perfectly. This pouch also has a band to hold credit cards inside of it, a very cool extra. I really liked this case because you could at least try to hide the fact that you are toting around a $600 piece of hardware in something that resembles a camera case.

7. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Oh I see. It is definitely important to have a secure phone. The difficulty removing the phone from the holder is what kept me from initially using it (with the original design). I had planned to use the new belt clip at some point, so I appreciate the heads up. I wonder why they can't get it right? Good job finding a case that it fits into. Lighthound is a great company too.

8. Spyker

Spyker Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the find ljshooter. After my phone being knocked out of the clip repeatedly the clip was retired to the drawer and the phone to the pocket. It will be nice to have it on the belt again. O0

9. ljshooter

ljshooter Loaded Pockets

The phone slides in and out like a dream and the clip rotates so it can be carried horizontally which is a big plus. I found a pda case for a duty belt that fit it but the rubber on the otter box made it too hard to remove.

Another positive is that the pouch does well on drawstring athletic clothing. I have had it on some draw string adidas track pants and under armour shorts without and shifting or pant sag.

If you guys order you will have to let me know what you think.

10. ljshooter

ljshooter Loaded Pockets

yeah and it is super nice since they are only about 40 min away from the casa.

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Talk about standing behind a product, they replaced all parts of mine at least 3 times. Here's a trick for adjusting the grip tension (mine was actually too loose and my phone was falling out at times). Hit the inside seam of the cradel with a heat shrink gun and flex he wings whichever direction they need to move. After cooling it holds the shaape change. First I tried immersing in boiling water: not nearly hot enough. Try the heat gun. It works really well!

12. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I got the otterbox and had my iPhone fall out a couple times - seemed to be a particular problem when getting out of the car for some reason, and was worried that I'd drop the phone and not notice it. My problem was temporarily solved when I hooked the belt clip on a cubical wall and broke it...

I just ordered the replacement; I'm curious to see how well the new one works.

Personally, I think the otterbox should come with a tether - one long enough to pop the iPhone from the clip and hold it to see the screen - but short enough to stop in no more than knee-level. Maybe have a fastex clip to disconnect it, or just assume everyone has a bluetooth headset. I hope in future versions they at least include a lanyard ring.

13. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

nice find man. I have to pick up one of those now, broke my plastic belt clip that came with my otter box and have been looking for something to put it on my belt instead of in my pocket. Plus nite-ize pouches are money well spent.

14. Spyker

Spyker Loaded Pockets

Mine arrived yesterday and works as advertised. Thanks again ljshooter. Great find! :woohoo:

15. ljshooter

ljshooter Loaded Pockets

Glad you like it. I love the little secret card holder. I use it to keep my plastics in and keep the wallet in the EDC bag. My back is loving this new set up.

16. newtothis007

newtothis007 Loaded Pockets

Got mine in the other day. I like it but it is kind of thick. works good thanks

17. ljshooter

ljshooter Loaded Pockets

I found it to be thick too. You do get use to it though. I wear it with drawstring pants and shorts without a problem. I thought it would be too heavy and I would de-pants myself. :shocked:

18. NastyCop

NastyCop Loaded Pockets

I tried the link provided and it says product not found. I tried searching on lighthound's website and i can only find the "cargo" model and not the "sport". Do they no longer carry it? If so, can someone point me to another online dealer? thanks

19. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Clearly, you are correct, but I am puzzled because I just got one from them! The only thing I can figure is that this is a replacement for that model, but please call them first to be certain. I am just guessing that it might fit.

http://www.lighthound.com/Nite-Ize-Clip-Case-Cargo-Wide-Black-Phone-Holster-with-Cargo-Slots_p_2895.html

20. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

The model you're looking for is the "Nite-Ize Tone Wide." Lots of online places have them. Fry's has them for 9.99. I also saw them on Amazon, OpticsPlanet, and a lot of other places.