1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone or iPod Touch APPS that would appeal to "our" kind?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Sproles, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

I am about to get an iPod Touch at the end of the month for my birthday and I was wondering if you all have discovered any cool APPS that would appeal to folks like us.

I'm thinking about things like (and these are just to help get your brain juices flowing) like Wind Chill APPS, GPS helps, compass things, survival helps (like edible plants, etc)

Anything like these would be cool to look into.

Thanks for your help-
    Sproles

2. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

iFirstAid, Morse-It and myLite Flashlight to name a few :)

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

The Blackhole forum CAN be found in the App Store. I have it on my iPod Touch.

4. Skeptic

Skeptic Empty Pockets

I bought a great application for my iphone called Knot Guide (link by Winkpass Creations. It is $3.99 and worth every penny. Shows you how to tie the knots and has frequent updates that include new knots.

Big Stopwatch is free and is a great stopwatch. (link) The description is in Japanese, but it is easy to figure out.

Gas Cubby, I bought this when it was only $5, it has now gone up to $9.99. This tracks gas for multiple vehicles and maintenance. Good news, there is a free version to try out (link)

Stanza is a electronic book reader, it has a desktop component that allows you to create your own books, you can also download existing electronic books. Baen Publishers offers a nice science fiction library with many free books. link)

Urbanspoon is a free application that lets you find restaurants of a various cuisines, prices, locations - including shaking your phone to randomly select items. (link)

Tilt Meter Pro (on sale today I guess) is a level and clinometer that works very well. (link) There are a lot of free levels. I like this one and it was worth the price when I bought it.

I could go on and on, let me know what your interests are.

5. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

Some I've noticed or have installed on my ITouch:

- The World Fact Book
    - Flashlight
    - Morse code utility
    - First aid guide
    - Star chart guide

6. oregonshooter

oregonshooter Loaded Pockets

Apps I use:

< $10.00
    ToDo (Appigo)
    Gas Cubby
    SplashID (had it on my palm) msecure is cheaper but not as nice IMO

< $5.00
    TastingNotes
    BibleScope
    Write Now

FREE
    Flashlight
    iHandy Level (has zero set)
    Formula Free
    Google Earth
    Pandora

7. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Hulu is a website that offers commercial-supported streaming video of TV shows and movies from NBC, Fox and many other networks and studios. Hulu videos are currently offered only to users in the United States ( UK available 09/2009). Hulu provides video in Flash Video format, including many films and shows that are available in 480p and high-definition.
    http://www.hulu.com/

Life and Hulu are a lot easier with the desktop application - Hulu has released a beta version of Hulu Desktop, a standalone program that allows users to watch Hulu programing without using their web browser. The program uses a 10-foot user interface and is designed to be compatible with existing computer remote controls. It requires a Flash player and runs on Windows and MAC OS X.

Hulu Desktop http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop - Hulu has released a beta version of Hulu Desktop, a standalone program that allows users to watch Hulu programing without using their web browser. The program uses a 10-foot user interface and is designed to be compatible with existing computer remote controls. It requires a Flash player and runs on Windows and OS X.

http://www.riptiger.com - RipTiger lets you d/l Hulu programs to your PC. It's the easiest and most powerful program to capture Hulu video and TV,
    also capable of converting Hulu videos and optionally transferring them to your iPod.

The selection on Hulu has been expanded quit a bit since it's start 2 1/2 years ago. In addition to NBC, ABC and FOX programs and movies, Hulu carries shows from other networks such as Comedy Central, PBS, USA Network, Bravo, Fuel TV, FX, Speed, Sci Fi, Style, Sundance, E!, G4, Versus, A&E, Oxygen, Food Network and online comedy sources such as Funny Or Die and Onion News Network!

TV = SNL, 24, MadTV, Burn Notice, Hill Street Blues, Cops

Movies = Taking of Pelham 123, 39 Steps, Bourne movies, Air Force One, Alien movies

UPDATE: Hulu is planning on launching in the U.K. September 2009: about 3,000 hours of content from American networks will be available as well as, it is hoped, content from British networks BBC, ITV and Channel 4.

8. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

New model iPods are due out in September - Apple: expect a large screen iPod touch device to be released in the Fall of ‘09, with a 7 or 9 inch screen.
    Prototypes have been seen and handled by one of our sources, and Apple is talking to OEMs in Asia now about mass production.

Applications on iPod

Pandora
    Hulu

9. Radio Cambodia

Radio Cambodia Empty Pockets

On my iPhone:

GPSlite
    OSBrowser
    iFirstAid
    Thomson Reuters News Pro
    Wifi Zone.

Off to look for some more now...

10. lewtrek

lewtrek Empty Pockets

i'd like one of those rather then getting a kindle :)

as for iphone apps, i just love having kindle and ereader for the iphone. And so many things all in one device (in general).

11. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

CardStar is a great program for the iPhone. Lets you store all your membership/reward cards on your iPhone -- and can be scanned directly from the device. I think the program is currently free as a limited promotion.
    I also used to scan my airline boarding pass from my iPhone when using the express check-in at the airport (no check-in bags). It worked great, but did attract a lot of interesting stares from other travelers. ;)

12. oregonshooter

13. mrsean2k

mrsean2k Empty Pockets

Most of the main ones are covered on here. I went for iHandy Carpenter which is a spirit level, ruler (infinitely long supposedley but awkward to use ) protractor and plumb bob.

The flashlight apps aren't bad, I went for Flashlight Free which lets you use red light for night vision supposedly.

On the electronic/entertainment front there are several apps. to make reading Wikipedia easier, WunderRadio is great for listening to live BBC streams.

One final must for me is Mocha VNC which lets me take remote control of my desktop Linux box from just about anywhere.

Hadn't thought of first aid reference, that's a great idea.

14. AKS

AKS Empty Pockets

There are a few below that I have and really like. Knot Guide is great for any knot geek.
    Some others that have found their way to my iPhone are:

Army Today- news and video related to the Army- they have Navy Air Force, and Marine versions too
    Folders- Makes storing documents easy for the iPhone- all key docs pertaining to evac plans and contacts on both mine and my wifes phones.
    GPS- Motion X: a pretty good GPS app not as good as my Garmin Map60, but pretty darn good for $3. It lets you store a photo along with your waypoints. I use it as the speedometer in my CJ 5, where the stock speedo is busted. One of my favorite apps, but very battery hungry.
    GPS Tracker a little app that sends GPS info to the web for tracking. Also uses battery heavily, but when my wife or I travel it's nice to see where the other is. Would also be critical info in case of carjacking, theft, etc.
    Surf Report OK maybe not everyone, but if you surf this is THE app.

15. V a a m Y o b

V a a m Y o b Loaded Pockets

Since we all can't be stormdrane:
    "Knot Guide" is a handy app

They're always updating the app with new knots. The step-by-step pictures are easy to follow. The app also allows you to save your favorites for quick reference.

16. oregonshooter

I just downloaded a nice app called "Emergency Radio" that is an online scanner with "near you" option that is nice. I'm listening to the police scanner for Sacramento where my daughter in-law is located right now.

17. sculptormills

sculptormills Empty Pockets

These are the iPhone apps that I think you might be interested in as far as EDC, survival and disaster prep goes:

ORGANIZING:
    Packing Pro (Make a list of your gear and check it off as you pack it)
    Checklist Wrangler (Make a list of gear, to-dos before a hurricane, etc.)
    Shopper (Customizable shopping list)
    eWallet (Securely keep copies of documents, ATM cards, Insurance numbers, etc.)
    Evernote (Lets you save articles, notes and useful info as you come across it)

WEATHER AND NEWS:
    WeatherBug (has more useful info than built in weather app)
    Hurricane (Hurricane tracker)
    NetNewsWire (RSS reader)
    Mediafly (Download podcast on 3G without having to sync with your computer)
    AP Mobile (Associated Press news stories)
    Public Radio (Listen to Public Radio Stations from across the country)

USEFUL TOOLS:
    Flashlight (Use your iPhone as a flashlight)
    Carpenter (handy to have a level in your pocket)
    Units (Units conversion)
    In Lights (lets you type messages that can be read from 60’ away)

TRAVEL/BUGGING OUT:
    iWant Pro (Find gas, restraints, hotels, banks, shopping centers, etc.)
    AroundMe (same thing as iWant but also has hospitals)
    Travelocity
    HotelsNearMe (find a hotel and know how much it will cost before you arrive)
    iTranslate (Foreign Language Translator)

REFERENCE:
    iSurvive Military Survival Manual
    iSurvive Wilderness
    WebMD (Great first aid section)
    Pet First Aid (includes great videos on dog and cat first aid)
    WikiHow (Includes Survival Tool Kit how-to section)
    HowCast (videos of everything from cooking, camping tips to lock picking)
    YellowPages
    WhitePages

In addition, you might want to try WEB APPS since it allows you to use hundreds of apps without having to install them. Some of my favorites in Web Apps is:
    First Aid Pocket Edition
    Hurricane Central
    Moblie Knot Guide
    Morse Code
    Survival Check List

Since the iPhone battery drains rapidly, I bought a case that has a built in battery that doubles the life of the iPhone. The one I got is the Incase - Power Slider Case with Battery. It was $80 and well worth it knowing I can go 2 days of heavy usage without needing to recharge. It makes the phone bulkier, so I don’t use it all the time, instead I keep it in my gear bag.

18. oregonshooter

sculptormills you are the man!

19. lambdadao

lambdadao Loaded Pockets

Great suggestions guys. My wallet hates you, and my iPhone is ambivalent. I'll add two suggestions which I haven't seen mentioned:

Flight Update : You enter flight dates and airline code + numbers and it syncs with the official flight status systems and it keeps you updated with the flight status. Pretty awesome when you get instant flight status. This program knew my flight was delayed before it was announced over the PA system. Slick interface.

DTMF Pad : This free app lets your app play dial tones. Can't be used when you're calling with your iPhone (duh), but useful when the phone you're using is broken/messed up/rotary dial.

Not really EDC related, but I love WeightBot for tracking my fluctuating mass. Beautiful interface and simple to use.

20. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

GPS - MotionX-GPS (really good nav/location app)

1password (free and stable/secure,)

Some free GRE prep (for when I'm bored) apps and a Soduku or 2. Also, FML-pro, for when I need to remember how much more ironic things could be.

SSh app, a few other bits. Weatherbug, only because it lets you select descrete weatherstation feeds.