1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone longer battery fix

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by JOE68, Nov 10, 2017.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Thanks to the latest update for iPhone the most used piece of EDC gear is my battery bank.
    I'm not a techno person, so any help will be appreciated.
    What are some of the things I can do to try and get longer battery time from my iPhone thanks to this new update?
    Thanks in advance

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Upgrading to 11.1 improved my battery performance. 11.1.1 is out which corrects the auto spell error with the letter “I”.

HVACn00b likes this.
  3. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Step one: delete Facebook app. It eats way more battery than it should. Always has. Step two: go into your settings and go to location services. Turn off any apps that don’t need to know your location. Step 3: I think there is still a setting for “background refresh” to choose which apps can get updates even when you aren’t using them. Turn off apps not used frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCPOWoller likes this.
  4. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Once I did the update (11.1) it seemed my battery power started getting eaten up at twice the rate from before. And I didn't add any new things that would start eating up my battery power, hence my confusion.

5. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Not on FB, for some reason I can't find location services, but any time an app asks me to use location I said no, and the background refresh is pretty minimal -- as in only those I'm actually utilizing at the time.
    I may have been exaggerating the "losing twice as fast" but there is a significant loss somewhere.

6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Just double checked, it’s under settings>privacy>location services. Another thing you can do is dial back screen brightness a bit.

7. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. The vast majority of them were set to "while using app" so some I don't use frequently went to the "never" column. I've dialed back the brightness to the point I'm OK with --- that was the first thing I did. And for the background, I just have the basic black so I don't think that is taking much power.

8. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

Turn down screen brightness or set it to auto adjust. Make sure Bluetooth is turned off too. One other thing you can do is turn off auto email fetching where it periodically checks to see if you got any emails without the app open.

9. troutnut

troutnut Loaded Pockets

Unless you have an iPhone 7 or newer, don’t do the 11 update. It doesn’t matter if you do all the “battery saving” tricks out there, you’re battery life will dramatically be less using IOS 11. It overheated my 6S+ battery and caused it to bulge the case, and create all sorts of other problems. It’s the last time I ever do an update from Apple in the first month. I’m letting everyone else be the guinea pigs.

You need to get either a new phone ( Apples master plan) or a battery back.

10. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Every major iOS upgrade tends to cause problems with apps that are 'backgrounded'.

After a major upgrade I go into app switcher mode (double tap on home button) and force-quit all the apps. I only need to do this once.

But after two years, the battery has already had at least 600 cycles so it is going to store a lot less than it did originally and begin to degrade a lot faster. This isn't an Apple problem but a battery problem.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

All y'all: in terms of apps for Apple devices (iWhatevers) that you don't use but constantly seem to be updating in background.

I stumbled across something that maybe will help. In 'Settings' go to 'General'. Then go to 'iWhatever' Storage. You'll find an option to 'Offload Unused Apps'. If you 'Enable' this, your device will automatically offload unused apps, saving on storage. Related docs and data will be retained (so it says!). Alternatively, you can go app by app, also within 'General', manually selecting which ones to 'Offload'. From what I can gather, once you do this that app is basically non-operational. Which means it wouldn't be updating in background and hence being a drain on the battery...

If you later decide to 're-enable' any of the apps, it will be reinstated from iTunes or the app store; since you retained your data and docs you should be good to go.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David