1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 7 alternatives

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by chaosmagnet, Sep 16, 2016.

1. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've been an iPhone user since the 3G. I skip generations, so I had a 3G, a 4, a 5 and now I'm carrying an iPhone 6. There's a line item in my budget for an iPhone 7, but I won't be getting one.

The other piece of the puzzle is that I owe Middle Daughter a smartphone. Options for me including staying on iPhone 6 and getting her a 5s, an SE, or something else, getting a 6s and giving her my iPhone 6, or going to Android.

I salute Apple for the courage it took to write off customers like myself who use wired headphones on multiple devices. I'm open to suggestions that don't include a handful of dongles.

2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I had the original DROID X, then a RAZR M, currently using a DROID Turbo and soon to upgrade to the Turbo 2. Motorola builds a fantastic phone.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  3. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

I have a Droid Turbo 2 and I love it. I was an apple customer until a year ago. I like the customization, expandable memory and shatter-proof screen of my android phone. It also has a great battery and charges pretty quick. There are definitely great Android options. One reason I switched is because iPhones are so fragile. I was tired of cases and no water resistance. I want to be able to hold the thing I just spent $600 on, you know what I mean? My new phone is great for that. It isn't waterproof, but it won't die if it gets rained on briefly and the screen is shatter-proof.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tweak4, chaosmagnet and Gary Gross like this.
  4. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I can pretty much throw mine against a wall and it doesn't phase at all.

chaosmagnet and Minos like this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

I've got the Droid Turbo 2 as well. Fantastic phone but it's a little bigger than I would like.

6. troutnut

troutnut Loaded Pockets

All Apple did was make my 6Splus MORE valuable. I'll probably keep this phone until iPhone 9 or 10. They will need to come up with something earth shattering to get me to change. Lightning Port headphones would have to be light years better for me to change, or Apple would have to make earbuds that don't hurt my ears or fall out. I would SCOOP UP the biggest 6S or 6S PLUS you can get your hands on and take good care of it.

The_Turner and chaosmagnet like this.
  7. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

The Nexus 5X and 6P. These are Google designed/supported phones. They don't come loaded with crapware and they receive regular software updates. Nexus phones are intended for developers but they work excellently unmodified just because there's no :censored: installed, just straight Android. 6P is large, has an AMOLED screen, a pretty good camera, and high-end specs. 5X is smaller (or normal sized actually) with slightly lower specs but still good. Downside: no SD slot in either! Other than that it's great. The next line will be called "Pixel" and will be marketed towards regular consumers but it'll be the same clean Android.

Samsung phones pretty good too, friend has the S7 Edge. AMOLED screen looks great and the phone is waterproof (Samsung makes the AMOLED in the 6P). He already dropped it in the sink and it was fine. He got it because he nearly killed his old phone by dropping it in the toilet lol. They're not easily rootable but you probably won't care about that.

Kev2488 and chaosmagnet like this.
  8. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I'll same the same about Samsung they are good. I've had my Note 3 for over almost 3 years and it's awesome. I do HVAC so I'm in some nasty places under houses in attics and with the Defender case on I'm good to go. Dropped it a few times my 16 month old has gotten a hold of it and it's good. I'm not a motorola fan I've had the Droids and in my opinion they stunk. Had a screen get a chunk taken out of it from an attic access. But maybe they have improved. My Co worker has a turbo and he got a full screen crack in his but he keeps it in his pocket.

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

chaosmagnet likes this.
  9. syntaxerrorsix

The Turbo has a screen assurance program that replaces the phone if you can manage to crack it within the first two years. It's the ONLY phone I'm aware of that does this because the glass is VERY resistant to breakage. It's one of it's stronger selling points. The other awesome feature is I can get a full charge in under 30 minutes and the run time is phenomenal . Besides that Android is Android (minus the bloat).

chaosmagnet and Kev2488 like this.
  10. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I think the biggest reason why I don't really like Motorola is that the models I've had you can't change the batteries when they go bad. My Droid 2 I could but the D4 you couldn't nor my wife's RAZR or RAZR M. I think you can go a few years with a phone as long as you have expandable storage and are able to replace the battery. But it also comes down to personal preference. I personally don't like Apple products I like the layout and UI of Android myself.

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

chaosmagnet and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  11. syntaxerrorsix

Yeah I was hesitant when I went to the Turbo 2. My last Droid had a replaceable battery and I had the biggest one they made with extended battery cover. It still doesn't hold a candle to the Turbo 2 as far as battery life and charging time but I could swap batteries on the fly. The Turbo 2 allows for 2TB of storage, another "one off" no other phone has that I'm aware of.

I've got an iPhone 6 work phone issued to me. If I could have the 6 size with the Turbo's features I'd have the perfect phone. I don't ever see myself paying to own an iPhone, I don't like anything about the environment.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  12. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

If you already have some commitment to Apple environment (apps, etc.) it makes sense to stay within it. My son recently bought an SE, which he is very happy with.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Wanna bet that they do it not with a hardware incentive but with eventually bringing out a iOS version that forces the issue? Not so much by making what you have obsolete, but app developers will migrate to it, to the point where you'll have no choice. Apple seems to follow that strategy...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

The_Turner likes this.
  14. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I use headphones with multiple devices too, but my choice is wireless. The only time I use a wire is on a plane (the wire was an accessory with the 'phones).

15. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I hear the Samsung Note 7 is a..... "hot" phone.

Rasthor, jkjustic, Jimmyg and 3 others like this.
  16. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Issues with the current Note aside, Samsung is the 800 pound gorilla of the Android world. Nothing wrong with the Galaxy S7 as a worthy competitor to the iPhone. Google just announced the successor to it's Nexus line, the Pixel. While the Nexus' were generally considered a midrange phone with attractive pricing, the Pixels are premium phones with a price to match. The biggest thing the unlocked Pixels have going for them is the lack of bloat/crapware from the carriers, timely software/security updates directly from Google, and as close to stock Android as you're going to find. Last years Nexus 5X and 6P are still available, with the 6P being the better phone.

If none of that floats your boat, the LG G5 (which has a replaceable battery) and V20. There's also some Chinese companies - Huawei and OnePlus come to mind. HTC's 10. The previously mentioned Moto phones.

Or just buy the Lightening headphone adapter for $9.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Nexus 5. I'll probably go with a Pixel if I make the move or maybe I'll wait for next year and see what Apple has to offer.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've really appreciated the contributions in this thread. I think I've invested too much in Apple to go Android at this point -- my wife and two of my daughters run an iPhone, and I'm posting this from an iPad. I'm pretty close to deciding to buy a 6S new.

18. jkjustic

jkjustic Loaded Pockets

I returned my Samsung b/c it was a pain and embarrassing to keep having to relinquish my phone before every flight. I got an Iphone 6 and I think it's great... So, that's my recommendation.

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  19. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I have been in the apple ecosystem since the 3G. My company just updated to the SE and most everyone likes them, we came from the 5s. I was able to switch my company phone to the 6+ and like the size so much that I upgraded my personal 5c to a 6+, sadly I think the 6+ will be my last iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I had the original Motorola Droid, switched to iPhones until the 5S, then switched back to an Android phone with the Samsung Galaxy S5. I really liked the S5 initially, but the longer I used it the more it irritated me, to the point that after 2 years I won't buy any Samsung product. I got a Nexus 6P almost a year ago, and still like it as much as the day I got it. When it's time to upgrade that I'll go with whatever the new version of the Pixel XL may be.