1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5 case.....thrown through a wall

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by 95yjinpa, Oct 22, 2012.

1. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I saw a case, what I thought to be an OtterBox knockoff, at WalMart. It is made by Griffin, and it is called Survivor. They have this video on their site, and I think I am sold!
    I get my iPhone 5 in early November, and think I will purchase this case.
    Check it out; they throw it through the drywall toward the end.:eek:

Last edited by 95yjinpa, Oct 22, 2012
    goosefacer likes this.
  2. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have a Survivor on my iPad and much prefer it to the OB offering. Tough stuff.

3. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I had that case for about 2 weeks and I loved it.....that is I liked everything about it except for the extra bulk. I would buy the Griffin over OB stuff anyday.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I was looking at one for my new iPhone 4 (I just replaced the back this morning).

However, I'm a belt-carry kind of guy and the belt clip gets awful feedback on Amazon.

boyo17 likes this.
  5. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

I have the survivor on my ipad and its excellent. I accidentally spilt a cup of hot tea onto the screen area, filling it up like a lego man paddling pool. Tipped it out and wiped it off and it was fine. Took it all apart and it was bone dry inside. I don't think I'm brave enough to test the impact resistance though...

6. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

I won a Survivor for my old iPhone 4 in a Twitter giveaway years ago. They're great protection but quite bulky....you can't dock it or use accessories unless they are the size of the iPhone plugs. Definitely a solid case that covers all ports and the camera.

I never threw my phone around in it or drug it behind a scooter though. :eek:

7. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

Love the Griffin/Otterbox style cases--they're all I run, since I managed to drop my phone in the parking lot today, and somehow KICKED IT after it hit the pavement.:rolleyes_revamped:

nw1911guy, Fukurai and 95yjinpa like this.
  8. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Is this a Skinth sales opportunity? Leave the case clipless and cram it into a Skinth!

No way I'd be comfortable carrying my phone on my belt, it'd get torn off. Have to be crazy to try that. ;)

9. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm just amused about the fact, that we need for every electronic gadget a protection case. Can't companies just build a sturdy, tough gadget? I also have a protectioncase for my iPod touch and an additional foil to protect the screen. Same with my kindle. The companies advertise the newest, slimmest and ultra light thingy and all we do is to put a bulky hard cover around it. In the end the phones are bigger than the one 10 years ago. Just curious about it :smile_coffee::spin:

Lynx and jag-engr like this.
  10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I absolutely agree with this sentiment.

There are some good, tough phones out there (all Android phones, AFAIK), like the Caterpillar phone, the Samsung Rugby, or the Motorola Defy. Unfortunately, they also tend to not be offered as free or inexpensive upgrades for renewing a contract.

Personally, my iPhone 4 is a company phone. I suppose that I could go out and buy my own phone, but it's a lot cheaper to just go out and buy a case.

Fukurai likes this.
  11. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I have a survivor for my iPhone 4. Had it 18 months now, and the phone is still like new.

I usually get through 4+ phones a year, so am really impressed with it. My cousin, who I work with, had an otterbox defender, that lasted 3 months before it was destroyed. He bought a survivor to replace it.

Great cases :)

Fukurai likes this.
  12. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

That is just pure marketing. There are more people who use their phone in a reasonable environment (Clean, dry...etc) than people who use them during "dangerous" activities. So that is why slimmer, lighter is more important and a big selling point than robustness, where only people who need it will buy the beefy case.

13. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

14. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Seeing all those companies competing to make rugged cases for a single phone model makes me feel like being punished for not wanting the phone inside.

HSG likes this.
  15. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

And now i learn that Lifeproof is working on a samsung S3 case, go fig.

Btw, i ran into someone claiming that Lifeproof is not as good as its claimed.

And not before have i posted that, then i read that Seidio is shipping their OBEX for S3...

Last edited by tso, Oct 27, 2012
  16. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

I've had life proof, OB, & survivor. The survivor is nice but if you just drop it in your pocket it tends to hit the home screen button on the iPhone if you bend alot. Life proof is sweet but the ear bud adaptor doesn't hold up to daily use. OB is well OB. I def prefer the survivor over it.

17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

On one hand, I do think that phones should be tougher from the factory, but on the other hand there's the (IMO) ugliness of the Casio G-Shock phone to support case companies.
    Can't find a good pic of the G phone right now.

18. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Sony seem to be on a ruggeized wave lately. Never mind one from Panasonic.

19. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

On the one hand, I feel like I shouldn't need to put a case on my phone....then on the other hand, I know what I've done to phones in the past............i.e. washing machine, long soak in a 1/4" deep puddle in a tent while camping, dropped on my foot and kicked across a parking lot, swim in Little Naches River, thrown at a roommate (don't ask), oh and my personal favorite....accidentally dropped one into a 5 gallon bucket of ultrasonic cleaning solution.........nasty stuff....3 months later the charger end was turning green.....Other than the throw, the rest was all accidental. Apparently I'm hard on my phones.......

20. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

This is my thinking as well. You would think that, all things considered, they could make devices sturdy and durable enough to withstand true everyday use without a case. By durable enough, I mean: drops from belt/pocket height, dips in a puddle, etc.

I tend to think that it all has to do with beaucratic :censored: having to do with relationships with manufactures of devices and accessories...

Anyhow, as EDC'ers, we love our super thin ultra light gadgets and gear. At least I do. As far as an iPhone case, I've tried a lot of them and finally settled on LifeProof. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot more svelte than it's competitors and it has a KEY component that I love: waterproofness! Their customer support is top-notch, as well.

21. mindphaser74

mindphaser74 Loaded Pockets

I had a Griffin Survivor on my iPad and I don't like it. Never used an Otterbox on my iPhone but what I have on my iPad right now is really nice :
    [​IMG]

used to have one of the HC Cases on my iPhone :
    [​IMG]

Ok it might be bulky with the extra silicone layer on it but its tough as nails. I had this with me on vacation in FL and no problems with sand on the beach or even some water.

Can be found here :
    http://www.goballisticcase.com/

They make cases for a lot of phones but don't buy it on their website, ebay offers are cheaper.