1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 4s to iPhone SE --- upgrade?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by JOE68, Apr 14, 2016.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I'm not a serious tech junkie and bought my first iPhone in 2012 to replace a cell phone that didn't even have a camera on it.
    I've ordered some books (yes, actual books) to help bring me into the tech world just a little more, and get more out of my smartphone.

My understanding is that the 4s in the very near future will not be supported by updates any longer.
    Time to upgrade I guess.
    I'd like to stick with the iPhone, since I have music, apps, etc.

The new iPhone SE seems to be perfect --- 64Gb, updated processor, size, and price.
    Since I'm not tech savvy I'm wondering if this will see me into the next 4 years as my 4s has been just fine for me.

Looking for input, thoughts, opinions, feedback, on the iPhone SE.
    Help a guy out who is tech challenged.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

If I had your usage pattern, I think the SE would be a great choice. They have the faster A9 chips and 2 GB of RAM, as well as the improved 12 MP camera. The "drawback" is they have the first gen-touch ID sensor and front facing camera. If you are happy with your screen size of the 4S, the SE is an intriguing choice and I am confident it will be updated for years to come. Good luck and let us know what you choose. Of course, to play devil's advocate, the 7 will be out in just a few months...lol.

JOE68 likes this.
  3. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

My usage pattern is of the most basic variety --- calls, texts, music, occasional app --- hell I never even synced it.
    My phone works for me right now, but the whole "not going to support the 4s" for updates has me thinking that the SE is the way to go.
    Yes I plan on using the phone to a greater extent once I educate myself with it (hence the move to 64GB)(might even sync it this time. LOL)
    The SE looks similar to my 4s, and it has a raft of accessories already because it's the same as the 5s as far as that stuff goes.
    I don't see a downside and that's what worries me --- just trying to do my best at due diligence.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I personally the iPhone 5S was the best model Apple ever made. It's about as much screen as you can get on a phone while still reasonably being able to carry in a belt holster. It looks like they are revisiting that size and format again with the iPhone SE after trying the phablet route the 6 and 6+.

AnthonySC, JOE68 and graveyard like this.
  5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Im still rockin the 4 (the one before the 4s) and that has not been getting any updates for a while now. I use it as my 'dumb' phone (make calls, do some messaging, listen to MP3s) and for serious internetring or tablet-like things i grab my big 'proper' phone... and for those simple things the 4 is totally fine even without 'updates' or 'multiple processor cores' or anything thats give on phones nowadays. Ill upgrade when it breaks!

JOE68 likes this.
  6. hotworms

hotworms Loaded Pockets

I have a 4s now, ordered the SE. Will be in next week.
    I got it because I still carry phone in my front pocket and didn't feel like carrying a big screen tv in my pocket.
    Basically it looks like a 5 outer with all the guts of a 6s. I'll let you know when I get it. Good luck in your choice.

JOE68 likes this.
  7. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Yes, please let me know how you feel about it, especially since you are going from a 4s.
    I believe by getting the 64GB one, that I will have lots of room over the years for the iOS updates versus the 16GB one.
    The whole outside looking similar to mine, but with "up to date innards" is what is making me lean towards it.
    The only "bad" reviews I've read have to do with the camera, or how small it is.
    Neither of these are issues for me.
    I do believe it's the right choice, for my usage.
    Looking forward to your feedback once you have yours.
    Thanks.

8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Yes, please let me know how you feel about it, especially since you are going from a 4s.
    I believe by getting the 64GB one, that I will have lots of room over the years for the iOS updates versus the 16GB one.
    The whole outside looking similar to mine, but with "up to date innards" is what is making me lean towards it.
    The only "bad" reviews I've read have to do with the camera, or how small it is.
    Neither of these are issues for me.
    I do believe it's the right choice, for my usage.
    Looking forward to your feedback once you have yours.
    Thanks.

9. mcnair55

mcnair55 Loaded Pockets

The iPhone 4 still commands very high used prices here in the UK and many consider it the best Apple phone if you look hard enough you can still find the 4 on sale in one of the largest retailers here in the UK.

I think your choice of an upgrade is excellent.

10. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I just recently upgraded from a 5S to an SE and I'm very happy. I didn't want to follow the trend of ever-increasing phone acreage to where I can't fit it in my front pocket. The 5S chassis seems like the perfect size for me.
    - 64GB model was only $50, plus 2-year contract (Verizon), which is quite tolerable.
    - It's noticeably faster, processing-wise, and the camera is supposed to be greatly improved.
    - It even has the NFC chip so you can use Apple Pay if you desire.
    - It doesn't have the "force touch" feature of the flagship phones, but that wasn't a selling point for me anyway.
    - Plus, I get to keep using my Magpul phone cases :).

graveyard and JOE68 like this.
  11. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I wish it was going to be that cheap, but alas, where I live in Canada they aren't even close to that price.
    The fact that all 5s accessories work with this is also a selling feature.
    The more I look at it and the more information I gather, the more this is looking like the right purchase for me.
    I ordered a fairly well reviewed iPhone book to bring me out of the "tech dark ages" and increase my abilities with the iPhone.
    Once the book arrives, and I dig into that a bit, I think that the SE will be the phone to fit my needs.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  12. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S4 to the SE, and the only thing I miss is the screen size. The phone fits my hand better, fits my pockets better, and just feels "nicer" than my S4 ever did. I also love that I can actually sync all my music from Itunes right to the phone. I was never fond of the music management on the S4.

All in all, I'm glad I made the switch.

JOE68 and LivingUpNorth like this.
  13. hotworms

hotworms Loaded Pockets

Yes, I got 64gb and yes it was $50 upgrade with sprint, with 2yr contract. Main camera has high megapixel than my current 4s so that should equal high quality photos, right...
    I did already get the Magpul bump case too and invisashield-zagg screen protector. Not the glass but the HD or whatever they call the new non glass one.
    I keep you posted when I get it.

JOE68, LivingUpNorth and graveyard like this.
  14. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Glad to be getting input on the SE.
    I always find first hand experience to be a good indicator of things.
    I also use them as a way to "read between the lines" when looking at reviews.
    Had a look at a 5s in an Otter box defender case, and since that is what the SE would look like, it gave me a pretty good idea of sizing.
    The more I look and read, the more I think this is an upgrade worth having.

15. baldenwonder

baldenwonder Loaded Pockets

I went from the 5 to SE and the length of battery power is so much better. The camera is better and it sounds so much better talking to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It is worth remember that although Apple may not be supporting it with further software upgrades, that doesn't necessarily mean the phone suddenly turns into a useless brick and needs replaced - everything that works now should still work, you just won't get some of the newer features as they appear on the newest hardware, and apps may start to be incompatible over time. In the short time I don't see it as an immediate need to upgrade, unless you see obvious new features that make sense for you.

If it says anything, I still have a 2009 Macbook and older model iPad around - neither are current generation, and the macbook is stuck with an OS multiple generations old, but both work flawlessly for basic needs (internet, youtube, etc...)

17. hotworms

hotworms Loaded Pockets

Well I got my SE just a few minutes ago. Put case on and did restore.
    So far I like it. Same width as my 4s, a little taller and a little thinner.
    I'll let you know in a few days how it is working.

JOE68 and LivingUpNorth like this.
  18. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Well I picked up the SE and all I can say is WOW.
    Totally night and day from the 4s to the SE.
    Everything is faster, the colours are nicer, and it just overall feels better.
    I also picked up the book iPhone the missing manual and have learned quite a bit in just the first 50 pages.
    As to my needs, this phone absolutely fulfills them and a little bit more.
    Got it on sale, so was able to get an Otterbox Defender for it.
    Basically I'm a happy camper with my purchase, and will continue reading my book to maximize my usage of the phone.

Roger and LivingUpNorth like this.
  19. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

As I live in a blackhole area that is bad for phone reception I still use my original iPhone. This is supplimented by a dedicated digital pager for fire fighting duties.

On a side note our fire station has good cell (mobile) phone reception outside the building but not inside. Seems the array of aerials and communication relays on our sheet metal roof has produced a faraday building.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using wi-fi.