1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by carrot, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mrsean2k

mrsean2k Empty Pockets

I've just got one (two weeks or so) after being very dismissive and now I wouldn't be without it. It repays practice thumbing the keyboard and using multitouch. Even with my relatively sausage like fingers, it's very fast to use when you get used to it. Video and pics are outstanding as extra features; safari is very good at guessing how to zoom / unzoom pages on double tap - saves a lot of time trying to zoom to just the right level for text heavy pages.

The only thing I intensely dislike is iTunes. I realise a lot of people rate it, but I've found it to be a sluggish, counterintuitive heap.

2. snidera

snidera Loaded Pockets

You're mirroring my opinion exactly, plus I've spent a lot of time in WMP making sure my tags & album art are up to date, itunes can't use them -many of my songs don't have album art now.

I'm coming from a samsung blackcrap, er blackjack so my expectations weren't the highest. AT&T isn't the greatest for service at my house, but it gives me an excuse not to answer some people ;) other than that, it is a great device. 32GB, i don't have to carry my mp3 player (which died a couple months ago) & I'm considering not taking my laptop on my business trip next week. 1 less bag to haul around. So far, 100% worth worth the $300. Even with free wifi at the office (next door has a hotspot) I'm 100yds away from a 3G tower, not worth turning it on. MLB at Bat keeps me from getting a lot of work done :) At home, the Edge network is faster than our dialup, when i can get service. Outside is great, inside is sketchy - putting in a signal amplifier/repeater soon to take care of that.

My only gripe(s) so far, iTunes & the customization of some of the default apps/functions. As long as you like the way apple does things, it works great. somethings I'd rather do my way though. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'm a stickler for customization - I don't WANT to get used to somebody elses way. That was my #1 reason for hesitating to go away from WinMobile, but it isn't anywhere near enough of a problem to get me to go back to WinMobile.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

iTunes runs very badly on Windows, but runs great in OSX. It's basically a (badly) ported OSX program.

4. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I got the iPhone 3GS i love it, the only down side is the battery sucks :mad:

5. nemesis5656

nemesis5656 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: everytime I open iTunes my computer locks up until iTunes is loaded. I'm looking forward to the iPhone going to verizon(hopefully), but happy with iPod touch on 3.0.

6. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

Yep, too bad Apple decided to only let AT&T carry the service. They would have sold A LOT MORE by allowing some of the other carriers to provide service.

If Alltel/Verizon was a provider, I'd have one in my hands right now. But......., let's see what happens next year.

7. snarkdek

snarkdek Loaded Pockets

I have the original Iphone 3G which I do really like. My 3 year old loves to play with it too which is more than I can say for a regular cell phone. He knows how to unlock, manipulate the screens etc. Amazing since he just watched me and figured it out.

The things I really don't like is that you cannot multitask. For example, I cannot stream audio and read my email. I can use the Ipod and do email, but not streaming. That sucks! I travel and like to listen to my local NPR station when I am doing email but nope, one thing or the other.

The only other problem is mine is aging and the battery life is really poor now. embedded battery means I have to have apple replace it for $70+ which is just too much.

I might go with the 3Gs but I am going to hold out to see if they offer multitasking. Their OS can certianly do it but they don't allow third parties to multitask. I'd LOVE a real keyboard too. I am ok with the virtual keyboard but a real keyboard is a lot better.

8. WeebleWobble

WeebleWobble Loaded Pockets

snarkdek, if you decide to ever jailbreak your iPhone, you can download a program called Backgrounder, which does exactly what you want. By holding down the home key, backgrounder enables your program to basically 'minimize' and run in the background. That way if you are listening to internet radio, or even Pandora, you can listen to the music and check/write emails, surf the web etc.

9. snarkdek

snarkdek Loaded Pockets

wow thanks. I guess I need to go figure out how to Jailbreak it. At this point it is way out of warranty anyway. Thanks!

10. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I've had NO problem with itunes on windows and used it for 6 years now.

11. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

You can always jailbreak it and put it on any carrier.

12. nemesis5656

nemesis5656 Loaded Pockets

you can not use the iphone on verizon though because the iPhone has to have a sim card to work and verizon doesn't use sim cards

13. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I thought that was obvious enough. Verizon uses a completly different technology than AT&T. Verizon uses CDMA for there technology. Which means they can get phones like the Palm Pre, and the Blackberry Storm, that are built to only use CDMA. The iPhone uses GSM, so Verizon will basically never get it.

Asking "why won't my iPhone with with Verizon" is like saying "why won't my dvd play in my vcr". There different technologies, yes, there all cell phones but thats where it ends. I wasn't clear in my last post but to restate. You can use the iPhone on ANY GSM carrier, but thats it. Next year, it won't be any different. It has nothing to do with AT&T, or anything like that.

14. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

Question: What are your essential apps?