1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPad - the first 48 hours , a short review

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by EODtech, Jun 9, 2010.

1. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

iPad - first impressions after 48 hours

I researched the iPad on line and had a touchy - feely one hour session at Best Buy. Finding an iPad at a local retailer was not in the realm of possibility so I ordered it online from the Apple Store. I opted for the 16GB wi-fi version ( $500 ) knowing it was the basic iPad and if need be I could always order a 32GB or 64GB model at a later date. FedEx delivered the iPad 18 days later, and I have been getting acquainted with it for exactly 48 hours, as a matter of fact I am typing on it at this moment.

A friend just emailed me and asked what was the difference between the iPad and a laptop. #1 is lightweight portability - it's really a " take it with you everywhere " device. I purchased a foam sleeve fitted for the iPad which fits like a glove and that fits into a padded handgun carrying case ( which looks like a small laptop carrying bag ) making it very transportable. It was a pain lugging the MacBook around town. #2 is the price of the iPad ( 50% less than a new MacBook ) and the functionality equal to that of my recently sold MacBook. With built in wi-fi I can use it around the house with my Airport / Time Capsule as well as traveling, the 3G model iPad was not a consideration due to the added monthly expense to AT&T. #3 is the applications available from the App Store are numerous and inexpensive and being released on a daily basis. Examples include: A1 PERFECT web browser for $.99 which runs circles around the supplied Safari iPad application, Easy Notes Pro, another $.99 replacement for the supplied Notes application. Plus a number of FREE applications including Skype, iBooks, Kindle reader, DropBox - a utility to sync files from computer to iPad , Sudoku daily, USA Today and many more.

Address Book contacts, Safari bookmarks and iCalendar entries were transferred to the iPad on it's first sync.

Typing on the touch screen is very straight forward, an optional wireless keyboard is available. Watching a DVD movie ( The Hurt Locker ) is very impressive with 1024 x 768 pixel resolution. 10 hour battery life is another bonus ( vs 6 hours on my MacBook ). To date I have 22 application, 1 DVD movie, 1 photo screen saver and have 12.7GB remaining of the available 14GB on the iPad - I assume the other 2GB's are used by the operating system and imbedded applications.

What is missing on the iPad - the only thing that I miss is multitasking , which is rumored to be in the new O/S upgrade, due out this summer. Printing is another requested feature from iPad users, however several " work arounds " as well as printing utilities are starting to show up from developers. With 2 million iPads sold in the first sixty days there are a number of iPad developers jumping on the band wagon.

Would I sell my MacBook and buy an iPad again - in a heart beat !

iLOVE my iPAD
    EODtech

2. dbnyc

dbnyc Empty Pockets

Do you also have a desktop computer? My current laptop is a desktop replacement, I don't have another computer and I couldn't imagine replacing it with an iPad. I do wish it were more portable though...

3. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Yes I have a 2 year old dual screen 24" iMac & Dell monitor.

[​IMG]

4. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Nice review. I am very jealous. I plan on getting an ipad, but I am going to wait for the first price drop. That is what I did for the iphone 3G and I was happy I did. Wish I had one right now though...

5. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Nice review. How has typing on it been? Easy to get used to? I think it would be hard to get used to not resting my palms on the screen while typing...

Good to see that there's at least one other Mac user on this forum other than myself. ;)

By the way, multitasking on iOS 4 is more than a rumor. It's been confirmed since April.

6. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

It takes a while to get used to typing, a wireless keyboard would be a consideration.

7. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

What would 3G service cost per month with AT&T? I'm guessing in the $30 range, based on my Blackberry's unlimited data/internet plan with AT&T.

8. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

$14.99 a month with a 250MB cap, or $25 a month with a 2GB cap.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/3g/

9. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Loaded Pockets

Actually, if you jailbreak your Ipad, you can multi task using an App called "Backgrounder". I have it on my Ipad and it works great. I use it mainly for streaming music while web browsing.

I also have a mouse app, which lets you connect a bluetooth mouse (no mouse support without jailbreak).

Jailbreaking is very simple and straightforward, and only takes about ten minutes. Just google "how to jailbreak ipad", and you'll find instructions. For those of you who don't know, jailbreaking basically unlocks your Ipad, and allows the use of third party apps without Apple's restrictions.

Overall, I really like mine. The size and battery life are great... my only complaint is the lack of an easy way to print.

10. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

+ 1 for the ipad. it's not really meant to replace your laptop but if you use it to consume digital media, you will be mega happy!

btw, is there an app to create / edit ms word documents?

11. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Apple sells an iPad version of their productivity suite, iWork, for about $10 on the App Store. It can edit Word documents and save new documents in MS Word formats.

12. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

thanks for the heads-up! :)

13. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Tech-On! posted a very interesting feature about an app called “ServersMan HD” from FreeBit Co Ltd that is designed to make the iPad accessible from any computer that is connected to the Internet.

Tech-On! says that the company has submitted the app to the Apple iPad App Store for approval, and once it has been approved, it will be available as a free download.

The app is already available for iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile and other devices, with the newest app awaiting approval being the aforementioned iPad-exclusive HD version.

Once ServersMan HD is installed on your iPad, you can access text files, photos and other items stored on the device, such as PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, all via the Internet.

You can also use it to upload and download files to and from the iPad.

14. justmyluck
    • In Omnia Paratus

justmyluck Loaded Pockets

Just a quick, hopefully helpful note. A friend at work just got his iPad this week. I had an old Palm branded bluetooth keyboard and it paired with the iPad and worked just fine. Perhaps a cheap alternative to what I am sure will be an expensive Apple bluetooth keyboard. The Palm branded ones go for $20-40 on ebay.

Now, if someone would just come up with a driver so I can use that keyboard with my blackberry!

15. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

maybe a clamcase ?

http://clamcase.com/

16. CEB12345

CEB12345 Loaded Pockets

I am very happy with mine.

17. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

18. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

19. Mugsy90/10

Mugsy90/10 Empty Pockets

Thanks for the review. Really looking forward to the first price drop. (Hopefully before the end of summer)

20. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Apple anticipates the demand for iPads to continue at least through September 2010 ( start of the school year ).

I wouldn't be surprised if demand is strong through the end of the year, with the introduction of the new operating system coming by mid-summer which will have multi-tasking as an added benefit !

Apple sold 2 million of the iPads in the first 60 days and production is currently 2+ weeks behind as of today.

I just ordered the iPad Camera Accessory kit from the Apple site and delivery is scheduled for the end of July 2010 !

I hope they do come down as I now need to order an iPad for my grandson !