1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

iPad in Apple Case vs. Lunada and Malaga (comparison with photos)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by mattro, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mattro

mattro Empty Pockets

I was looking for an EDC bag to primarily use on my bicycle commute. The bag needs to hold my iPad and a Kryptonite lock along with some EDC essentials. Initially I thought the Lunada would fit the bill perfectly but the dimensions seemed a bit tight. I ordered both the Malaga and the Lunada from eBags with the intention of selecting one bag to keep.

The iPad (in Apple Ccase) will not fit in the Lunada's main compartment in the rear part of the bag.

Here is a photo of the uncased iPad in the rear compartment of the main section. It fits snugly, but suffers from a serious lack of protection:

[​IMG]

Here is the cased iPad in the front section of the main compartment of the Lunada fits, but very tight:

[​IMG]

In the main section of the Lunada the cased iPad fits nicely:

[​IMG]

Although this would work for my original purposes, the thought of a four pound bike lock possibly bouncing against the iPad makes it a no go. I have decided that I will need a padded case to keep the Apple cased iPad in. Due to lack of inventory of iPad accesories it was not possible to get one.

Here are some photos of the iPad in the Malaga...

Back section, main compartment:

[​IMG]

Front section, main compartment:

[​IMG]

Side by side shot,, iPad Malaga and Lunada:

[​IMG]

In conclusion, I think that the Malaga will be a better bag for my EDC/ bike bag. I wish the Lunada was an inch wider and taller. I really like the idea of the smaller bag. The advantage of the Malaga is that I will be able to carry unexpected purchases and also have the option for hydration if I see fit.

I would appreciate other opinions and thoughts ASAP as I have to make a final decision fast and return one of the bags. Also can anyone reccommend a good sleeve? Currently this one is the one I'm thinking of using. It would fit in the Malaga fine and allow me to use the Apple case as well.

Waterfield Exo Sleeve

Thanks.

2. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

assuming that you are selecting between just the malaga and the lunada, the malaga is the better choice. the challenge really is how to protect the screen. so, you will most definitely need a padded sleeve. as i indicated in another post, i employ a padded pistol case. then the said case goes into my 5.11 rush 24. maxped sells a couple of pistol cases.

3. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Thanks for the post. I am planning on geting an ipad and one of my questions was how it would fit in my Lunada. Very helpful pictures!

4. mattro

mattro Empty Pockets

I really like the single strap of the Malaga. I will also be using this bag to hunt and the single strap frees up my left shoulder to sling the rifle. (I am a lefty) I am open to other suggestions on bags though. The size of the Malaga is fine for my needs and might be a hair big.

I did see your other post about using a pistol rug for the iPad. I would like a flap type closure or slip case, as I don't want to unzip every time I remove the iPad.

Thanks for your suggestions.

5. mattro

mattro Empty Pockets

I was in the same boat, and couldn't find the info. I figured someone else might have the same question, hence the photos :)

6. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

you are most welcome! i agree with you on the slip case / flap type closure. it makes it easier and quicker to get our paws on the ipad that we love so much! :)

7. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Wow, while I personally have no desire or use for the Ipad, this is a great thread for someone comparing the Lunada and the Malaga in general.

The Malaga looks so big next to the Lunada despite it only being nominally larger. Of course what a difference that nominal expansion makes, huh?

8. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I LOVE my iPad!!!! I chose to protect it with a Zagg full coverage protector. The material is the same stuff that is used to cover military helicopter blades. It has already saved my screen once. I also have a DODOCASE in the mail FINALLY!!! You should take a look at those and see what you think. I carry my iPad and my MacBook Pro in a Maxpedition Larkspur bag. It is a messenger style bag and I am VERY happy with it. Hope this helps.

9. mattro

mattro Empty Pockets

Thanks. I really liked the size of the Lunada, but the Malaga just worked better for me. I did a lot of searching on this site and figured the best way for me to find out which was going to work better was to buy them both and return the loser. I came very close to keeping both. In the end, the Lunada got returned but a Janus is on the way....

10. Steverino

Steverino Loaded Pockets

yup.. nice thread man!

11. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, I've got a couple of photos to post of the iPad in my Lunada, but the blog software insists that I post a URL link to my image. Any ideas how to attach an image if I don't have my own host location?
    Thanks,
    Ike

12. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

Photobucket.com is a free host....

13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

How will you protect the iPad when it rains?

14. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I carry my netbook in a soft case in Malaga all the time. Never had a problem and you should like this configuration.