1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Invisible Shield

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by phatch, Jan 19, 2010.

1. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I've used a couple of their protectors over the years. It's a clear protective shield to protect against scratches on portable devices. Initially they focused on screen protection but have moved to whole skins as options now. They offer lifetime replacement guarantee.

Initially the product was developed as a protectant film for military helicopter blades and they have moved into this civilian application for the product as well.

I've had one of their shields on my Dell Axim X51v for a few years and it has held up excellently. While clear the film does increase glare a bit. Now and then I think I pick up some slight distortion but the light has to be just right (or wrong) to notice.

Installation is not difficult but has some subtleties to it. Wash your hands, clean the device, wet your fingers and the device with the provided sponge and fluid. Peel off the shield and wet the adhesive side. Apply to your device. The wet fluid and low initial adhesive gives you some play and wiggle to get the application centered just right. This is where the subtleties develop. While the shield doesn't have much grab at first, it quickly develops.As you start to squeegee down the shield with the provided discount card (towards future purchases) slipping can develop. You can peel it back up and wet it again and still get good stick, but you may start to impart fingerprints in the adhesive so better to be generous with the fluid and orientation before applying pressure for adhesion. You also don't want to get any liquid in your device so you can't go too heavy with the fluid.

You'll work out air bubbles over the next few minutes. Some will develop slowly even after you think you're done but they can be squeezed out in my experience, even the next day.

Full adhesion develops over 12-24 hours but you can use it fairly quickly in my experience.

I've got a cheapo phone so I cut a screen fit out of the cheapest shield I could find of the right size at Best Buy. I won't get the guarantee on that one but I will get the protection. I've got one coming for my Cowon. I think the Invisible Shield is a critical component for longevity of any touch screen device. It also makes them pocketable so they don't get ruined in pocket.

Good no bulk added protection for many devices. See more at www.zagg.com Good stuff.

2. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

It may be worth noting that the Invisible Shield isn't optically clear. So don't cover your phone's camera lens with it.

3. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Yes, they leave cut outs for those in the shield.

I use an oil change cling reminder over my phone's lens. Easy to peel off for shots, easy to replace if lost and free. My mechanic has generic ones so it doesn't advertise anything.

Phil

4. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I've had an Invisible Shield on my iPod Video for over 2 and a half years now. Not a single scratch on the unit. The shield works great.

I've even bought a shield (on sale) for the iPod Touch I haven't even purchased yet (darn Apple and no camera or microphone on the last iPod Touch ...)

5. JaredEDC

JaredEDC Loaded Pockets

Beware of invisible shield covering white colored objects. The clear material will gather up color and dirt and make your device look awful. My girlfriend went through 3 invisible shields on her white iPhone, then ultimately gave up on it and is now happy with the Incipio feather.

Also, be sure to buy Invisible Shield online, not at a mall kiosk. Those guys in the mall do everything they can to NOT replace your shield. They loose money when they give you a replacement.

6. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

I've never had any problems getting mine replaced. Maybe it's your local Zagg booth?

7. cougar337

cougar337 Loaded Pockets

I've used invisible shield for years on a wide range of devices, screens for my cameras, GPS, full body MacBook Pro, iPod, iPhones and they have worked great for keeping them scratch free.

There have been a couple of issues. On the MackBook Pro I get yellowing from where my hands rest near the keyboard and on devices I use the most like my iPhone over time the edges will get dirt and grim in them but in every case I have returned them to Zagg/Invisible Shield for a replacement for the price of shipping ($5)

I continue to buy them for my gear and will continue to in the future!

8. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

After a few years I've noticed a lack of sensitivity on my iPod's clickwheel through the shield.

9. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have been using that for years on my devices as well. I love the stuff.