1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

'Invisible EDC'

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jambas, Oct 12, 2012.

1. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. The only area it doesn't fit the criteria well is in pocket carry. The clip doesn't let the knife sit very low in the pocket. But maybe that can be changed. Anyone know of a replacement clip that fits the 707?

2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

My "every day knife" here at work is made by an obscure company called Bassett. The model is "Trim." At least that's what it says on the handle. It measures 2 5/16ths long by 1/2 wide and 7/32nds thick. It has three blades: a knife blade, a screwdriver/bottle opener and a nail file/nail cleaner (I guess it is) blade. The only thing I've ever used it for in about 12 years in the same office, same building, is to open taped up boxes, about once every six months. I think it originally came with a chain link loop but it has since been misplaced. It is American made.

My wife uses a plastic picnic cutlery knife for anything to do with cutting where she works. She's a schoolteacher. I use a pair of scissors for virtually any cutting I need to do. Are you allowed to have scissors? I have never had the need for a screwdriver here, nor have I ever had to cut up fruit. We have a drawer full of ordinary kitchen knives in the breakroom where we cut up cake for birthdays. There are three very large slicing knives, several steak knives, two bottle openers, three can openers and one nutcracker. So far, no one as been attacked with company owned knives but I'm sure it's only a matter of time, especially given the frequency with which the copier has been breaking down.

3. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

I would suggest a Buck Vantage Pro...
    Best deal in S30V for under $50
    The deep clip keeps it well hidden, or take it off for deep pocket carry.
    And it never raises an eyebrow at work... well maybe only from those who covet it!

Drewglynn and sungame like this.
  4. silent_vengeance

silent_vengeance Loaded Pockets

this

5. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

6. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

That Baladeo is beautiful.

Looks like it suffers from the same lock release problem as the CRKT KISS though?

7. jambas

jambas Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with de Buck vantage select small? looks like the perfect clip and is only € 33,-. Only thing is, is is flat or just a tad to bulky because of the scales? and is 420HC steel any good?

8. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

No experience with the Buck. My understanding is 420HC is a much higher carbon version of 420 (at least twice as much). The question I would have, which you could solve probably by reading various reviews from say Amazon or Knife Center, is what kind of factory edge it comes with. Unless you plan to drastically change the secondary bevel that will have the most obvious effect on it's cutting performance.

9. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

This is what you want.

10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Yes, I bought one as a gift for a relative, but almost ended up keeping it. The form factor isn't really flat, but since it's a small knife, that isn't really a problem. It is small and lightweight enough that you will hardly feel it in your pocket, and the clip is great!

I didn't keep that knife long enough or use it enough to know how good the steel in that particular knife is. However, I own two other 420HC knives from Buck, and they hold an edge pretty well, even though both have seen some hard use. They are not super easy to sharpen, but I guess you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Others on this forum and elsewhere have confirmed my experience with Buck's 420HC. I understand that Buck has a very good heat treatment process that really makes the best of the steel.

Fit and finish isn't perfect, but quite good. Also, the knife I bought came with a hair shaving sharp factory edge. In my opinion, this is not a very pretty knife, but when it comes down to function, it is an ideal EDC knife, and it certainly can't be beaten when it comes to value for money.

11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Casting my vote for the Kershaw Cryo, which, in my view, meets most if not all of your criteria:
    • Reasonably slim and light-weight.
    • One-hand flipper open. Thumbs-studs both sides of blade.
    • Deep pocket clip (both tip-up and tip-down configurable).
    • Frame lock.
    • 2-3/4" blade length. 3-3/4" overall length (closed).
    • Plain edge.
    • No G-10/Micarta on scales (giving a "cleaner" matte-gray non-tactical look IMO).
    • Blade style/shape consistent with what you want.
    Next to the familiar Vic Farmer:

P1080109.JPG P1080113.JPG P1080114.JPG P1080115.JPG

12. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

A couple I can think of are the Kershaw Skyline and the Sanrenmu 763.

13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Two knives that I have carried in an office environment where there was zero tolerance for weapons were the CRKT Ripple and the Leek. The Leek in D2 was a great blade. I would say that for around $50 you can'y go wrong and it will slide into any pants that you choose.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

As I was reading through your post I was already thinking sog flash 1. I think it's your best bet.

-deep carry as you can't even see it when clipped on your pocket.
    -lightweight
    -great for light use as you mentioned
    -slim. You can't even tell its on you
    -full flat grind. It cuts through boxes and fruit like there's no tomorrow
    -one headed opening
    -office/environment friendly with a 2.5 in blade

Only negative is the closing mechanism is only for right handers so you have to find a way to close it. I'm sure you can figure that out. And it's only $30!!

15. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Were you allowed to have pens and pencils or were they the Patented prison type that were rubberized? ;)

kd7dvd likes this.
  16. ElectricSun

ElectricSun Banned

Does it HAVE to be a modern styled folder? In my experience, work places where knives where usually frowned upon totally changed their outlook on a knife if it was a "pretty" knife. For example, a specific hospital was very "weapon" unfriendly (this included pocket knives). So instead carrying a tactical folder I started carrying a beautiful , red bone handled, Moore Maker, even ended trapper. Made sure and polished ever MIlimeter of it to a high shine and then attached a quik thumb stud to the largest blade. No one ever said anything that wasn't a comment about how pretty a knife it was. I guess people don't understand that pretty doesn't mean not sharp.

17. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Ummm, put it in your right hand to close?

mrlysle and DBR like this.
  18. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Generally, weapons prohibitions are about emotions and not logic or reason. Is there another work-place environment that has more college graduates than your average hospital? Tells you a little something, doesn't it? ;)

mrlysle likes this.
  19. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

SOG Twitch or Blink. AO, clip can be leftified, extremely slim and nice in the pocket.

http://sogknives.com/store/TWI-7.html

Edit: The blink clip swaps over, not sure about the Twitch.

20. escapefoot

escapefoot Empty Pockets