1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Insulated coffee travel tumbler that isn't made in China?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by choombak, Nov 19, 2016.

1. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have lived and worked in Hyderabad, India. He has a valid point but the American consumer does not care about his point of view. Our politicians do not care because of the cheap goods provided.

Efficacy studies are no longer required for time released generic medications. Just chemical equivalency which has had unintended side effects. This change was signed into law by Bill Clinton. In India labels and packaging takes 2 to 3 days while it is 6 to 8 weeks in the US. Notice the generic OTC's manufactured in India.

I like spicy southern India food and dislike the creamy northern Indian food. Before my stay in India, I disliked "all" Indian food served in the US.

#61 garza, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

He obviously believes that anything produced in China is cheap, so it should sell here for approximately the equivalent of its weight in dirt.

Edit: Wow. I should have quoted the post I was replying to. I guess I wasn't on the last page. Here we go.

Last edited by Yablanowitz, Dec 31, 2016
    #62 Yablanowitz, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. Thukydides

Thukydides Loaded Pockets

Nope. It don't even support the CPC as a tourist. The suicide rates on factories like Foxconn have been researched for decades as extensively as the crimes of the CPC, but Apple and other hipster companies won't care. It's on the consumers to change their behavior. I care.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

OK, so you care. What are you actually doing about it to show that you care other than merely stating it? Do you protest in some way? Have you written to your government to determine what trade agreement exist? And have you communicated to them your disagreement with the way those companies exploit the labor?

Do you actually know WHY those laborers continue to work in those factories with the deplorable conditions?

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'll hazard a guess that it beats living in poverty out in the country somewhere. I have asked my MP to ask somepointy questions about China's human rights and environmental records - neither of which are stellar. I've not received a reply.

6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

All you need to know about politicians is how Washington reacted when President elect Trump spoke with the President of Taiwan. Who cares if the Chinese view the action as unacceptable since they do not care about territorial rights in the South China Sea or the armed standoff with India over the Askai Chin and Arunachal Pradesh. Besides he is attempting to define and limit acceptable protest action by attempting to place guilt on the protest movement while deflecting from the conduct of the Chines authority.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You hit the nail on the head! Absolutely correct!!

If YOU had the choice between earning the equivalent of $1.42USD/day vice starving, which would you choose?! There are places over there where you cannot even scavenge the trash bins for discarded food because someone else beat you to it. Growing your food is not even an option because you need seed and a land to grow it. If you stole the seed, the government will cut off your hand and when you harm someone while stealing the seed, you will be executed.

Sol IF you CARE, send your hard-earned salary to some family there so that they don't need to work in some factory where their human rights are ignored while they earn what little they can to feed themselves and their families.

8. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm not blaming the workers - far from it, most would do the same, I would.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The blame goes to the consumer that establishes the demand for the goods. Manufacturers provide the supply to meet the demand. IF you are a consumer of ANYTHING theses days, YOU are to blame because those third world countries produce SOMETHING that is a part of ANYTHING the you buy. You can't get away from it.

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Actually, I put even more of the blame on the finance community. In particular, the obsession with near term results, which inhibits necessary investment in advanced manufacturing processes. C'mon @0dBm; I read enough of your posts to know that you know the drill and the factors (including the variables of off-shore facilities) as well as any of us on here! No, I'm not letting the consumers off the hook; but I put more of the blame on the financiers.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

0dBm likes this.
  11. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

ORCA Chaser 27-oz Insulated Tumbler

12. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

13. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

All the feel good, save the workers, etc.. Is great. But, I'm retired and I'm going to spend my $$$ on the best product within the price range I've set if its made in China or bfe I could care less.

14. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

Hydroflask makes great products they were made in the US when I first started using their products. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

15. Thukydides

Not buying chinese products is doing precisely what I can. It's more than what most persons (including yourself from what I read) go into. I also frequently write letters to the editor and vote 4 times a year (a benefit of living where I live). China has an endless reservoir of human poverty from the countryside ready to replace death people at the assembly line, although globalisation seems not working in favor of the cpc-regime anymore and even Chinese factories have gotten too expensive for some industries. It didn't help the people though, China is executing more people than ever.

0dBm likes this.
  16. Thukydides

It's not a one way ticket. The manufacturer can establish demand for pseudo innovations to stir momentum for something with enough money. People buy stuff often because other people buy it, not because they need it or because it would improve their life in any way. The life improvement factor of an iPhone is null.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The financiers are akin to drug dealers. The more demand, the more they peddle. The more they peddle, the more buyers come out of the woodwork. Never-ending cycle.

Thukydides likes this.
  18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yup, my point precisely when I stated that the blame goes to the consumer.

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

From the Orca website:
    "Products bearing this symbol are designed by ORCA Coolers in the U.S.A., but may be produced outside of the U.S.":rofl:

20. Thukydides