1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Insulated coffee travel tumbler that isn't made in China?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by choombak, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

O.P. is looking for a drinking vessel NOT made in China.
    I own many of each. YETI, RTIC, and Ozark Trail. All of them are made in China.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

true that. mea culpa. I forgot.

Moshe ben David

Hi-up Lineman likes this.
  3. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

I'm 99% certain they're still Japanese made without going back reading up etc from when I bought my flask their manufacturing plant for most things is Japan. Incidentally it's one of the best flasks I've ever owned when my Avex mug give some up I'll be buying a zojirushi mug

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The materials are made in Taiwan, Philippines, & Malaysia. I know several employees there. Preliminary assembly occurs in Malaysia. Final assembly in Osaka.

Henryhoover and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Most of this category of product has some component made overseas. We are in a global economy and manufacturers will choose, by default or active choice, many components of the final product that are made in mainland China or the ROC in order to keep the cost of manufacturing to a minimum.

It's often too easy for consumers to summarily state something as simple as your statement because of the lack of insight into the sheer cost of having something made domestically.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. LlF

LlF Empty Pockets

the Zojorushi tea tumbler i have is made in thailand.
    Tiger also make or used to make them in japan, like this one
    http://imgur.com/a/c3hr7
    you have to look around, maybe ask the seller on ebay

but i agree that those made in china are more than good enough.

7. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

I have a Nespresso stainless tumbler that keeps coffee hot for hours, and I cannot get the thing to spill (as long as I click it closed). Not sure where it is made, but a great tumbler.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That's a really good price on that 64-oz RTIC bottle. I'll order one shortly. Anyone know of a carrier that will fit around it?

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

99.9% sure it will be china (0.1% for Switzerland).

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Nespresso is a Nestlé product. That company trades globally. The steel from which that tumbler is made was rolled in Taiwan and was likely assembled in Malaysia. If you find that it meets your standard, it appears that Nestlé, once known primarily as a chocolate candy maker, is doing a good job making other products.

11. McGuyver

McGuyver Loaded Pockets

Most of this type of product is manufactured by one of two plants in China because they have the biggest investment in the machinery and tooling to accomplish the task. The crazy thing is that from the most expensive to the cheapest is often made by the very same people, just at different bid pricing. That's why some of the 'knock offs' function identically to the brands that can cost 300-400% more just for the name.

I only know this because I was on the same quest about two years ago to replace everything I could with stuff made in the USA, Canada, Australia, or Europe. A guy I know in the trade business told me that this stuff and titanium cooking/drinking stuff is impossible to find (with the exception of some VERY small mom and pop places that make very inferior products) manufactured outside of the Far East (mostly China)

Moshe ben David and 0dBm like this.
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It's a global economy, folks. It has to be in order for businesses to survive. The Far East has its hand in just about every product that we encounter.

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

And for all of those who get so exercised about how wrong that is -- the US was one of the prime movers in bringing this about. Started in part (I did say in part!) after the defeat of the Japanese. US sent a whole group of production and QC/QA experts to Japan to help that economy recover. Names include Juran, Deming, and a few others.

Ironic thing is that although these guys did play a key role in US manufacturing being able to support the war effort, they got very little if any respect in the immediate post-war period here in the US. Wasn't until the 80's when Japanese cars etc were blowing the US makers out of the water that people here began to wake up. NBC played a role in the awakening, with a special broadcast entitled: If Japan Can Do It Why Can't We? Tapes started being shown in factories; consultants started pushing things like Quality Circles, etc. (Trust me, I was there and part of it! :smile_coffee:)

Rest of Asia -- China and the so-called Little Tigers, got smart and latched onto much of what the Japanese did. Plus the Japanese did start opening plants and JV (that's Joint Venture, folks!) facilities in China and S. Korea; later Vietnam started blossoming in its post-war period...

And still below the top two tiers in the US, talk of modern operations management and quality management protocols results in rolling eyes in far too many US companies! Partly because the financial community still is hung up on extreme short term results! They are reaping what they have sown.

OK. I'm done with this rant.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

0dBm likes this.
  14. badphishRN

badphishRN Empty Pockets

Moshe u nailed it, we rebuilt their economy after defeating them, same with Germany, japan starting with transistor radios and the went gangbusters on electronics, I have 6 yetis bought many more as gifts, The yetis you get cheap from china on their WISH or GEEK app were under 15 dollars and identical in every way to retail yeti, and its obvious the Ozarks, RTIC are made by the same manufacturer they are identical accept for logo, they are all excellent,and great for keeping cold cold or hot, I recommend the KOLSTER for can beverage needs, its a stainless steel koozee that keep your can cold, only issue is that they are heavy, and you dnt really know when the can is empty til u try for a last dip. highly recommended shop around

15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Believe Polar bottles are made in the

Taiga tumblers are supposed to be made in the US and the business is veteran owned.

ATB,
    Sam

r1dg3xrac3r likes this.
  16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

From the Website:
    "The Polar Bottle® Sport and Ergo are manufactured in our Boulder, CO office with parts sourced from Denver, CO and Garden City, MO. Our only product that is not manufactured domestically is our Stainless Steel Half Twist™ Thermaluxe™ bottle. Due to financial infeasibility with stateside manufacturers, the stainless steel bottles are responsibly manufactured in China.
    All of our products are shipped from our warehouse in Boulder."

Thukydides likes this.
  17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Thank's for the clarification. Polar is listed on one of the MadeInTheUSA blogs, but they didn't enumerate product origin down to the SKU level. So close, but....

ATB,
    Sam

18. Thukydides

Thukydides Loaded Pockets

Tell me, if you found one. :) Even upper value US companies like Klean Kanteen produce in China, which is kind of ridiculous when looking at their prices.

19. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

A good deal is a good deal.
    Be patient; soon there will be more stuff made in the USA, by well educated craftsmen.
    Mugs included.

TRUE LIBERTY likes this.
  20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What is ridiculous about this concept?