1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Insight on a ccw 9mm please

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dms, Mar 21, 2014.

1. crudos

crudos Loaded Pockets

Never heard of that before. Taurus hit the ball out of the park with this model.

MixMasterEs likes this.
  2. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Sorry about the off-topicness, but, @ Crudos: is your screen name a reference to the band Los Crudos?

crudos likes this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

There was a recall of 98,000 Taurus 24/7 pistols that were specifically made for the Brazilian police. The last I had heard the issue has not been found on any Taurus USA pistols, although those who are not fans of Taurus have been blowing up forums and blogs about it like it's every Taurus pistol ever made. The funny thing is that around the same time, three other manufacturers had major issues as well (Smith & Wesson, Springfield, and Caracal). I am not a Taurus Fanboi, have not owned one in a few years, but I am also a realist with no agenda for any other brand. I have shot my share of Taurus pistols in my time and some were great, some were just o.k. Even the 1980's Taurus .38 (a REALLY bad time for Taurus) that my Dad has in his safe (a total beater) is safe enough to shoot with standard pressure loads and has lasted much of my lifetime without any issues (although it's not the most consistent with accuracy). ;)

4. MixMasterEs

MixMasterEs Empty Pockets

They definitely did hit a homer with this one, I can't speak for other models but this 709 has held up great. I hate to admit but it took a 5' drop and still worked fine, heck the magazine even got stepped on and it bent alittle which led to some feeding problems but got it fixed and have a new mag on it's way. It's not the easiest gun to find parts for but it's a solid built gun modeled after the glock design except waaaaay "slim"er. Plus customer service is great compared to other manufacturers.

-MixMasterEs-
    Haters Gon' Hate

crudos likes this.
  5. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

Unloaded the .45 is lighter than the 9mm but is this still the case when they are fully loaded?

6. Michael Adkins

Michael Adkins Loaded Pockets

MTFatboy, you will like that Sig 938. I just got one, and fired it this weekend. I kept everything in the 8 ring from the start. I was a little low, and a little left until I got used to the sights, but still everything in the 8, even at 15 yards. I ran 50 rounds of 124 grain FMJ, then 50 rounds of 124 grain Gold Dot JHP's with no problems at all. You should get a couple of the extended mags. At $40 each they are pricey, but it gives you an extra round and a place to put your pinky. In my opinion it was worth it.

rkazooti likes this.
  7. MixMasterEs

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I can and have put (this month) 2inch groups in at 30 yards with my 709 slim :)

Dj-MixMasterEs-

8. Michael Adkins

Michael Adkins Loaded Pockets

Well, not trying to burst your bubble, but that is pretty impressive out of that little Taurus, I would like to see that. With that said, the P938 is my defensive CCW. It was the first time shooting it for me. Also I was doing drills that went like this:
    Draw from a covered (concealed) holster, bring the sights on target and double tap, then to low ready
    Wait a beat, then back on target, double tap. And so on until slide lock, mag change, then again double taps to slide lock. I would then change the distance, and start from the holster. Doing this, I am pleased with keeping everything in the 8 ring, that is center of mass and will accomplish what I was trying to do, stop the threat.
    2 things.
    1. I have my thoughts as to whether you could hold that kind of accuracy doing these type of drills, at half that distance. I would be the first to shake your hand and buy you a beer if you can.;)

2. In my humble opinion, and concerning this training scenario, I would not consider a person at 30 yards a threat to my life, unless they were shooting at me. To which I would not take the time to try and get 2" groups, I would be throwing lead downrange and moving to a position of cover.
    Just a different shooting style, no offense to you.
    I do have a few pistols in the safe that will do that though. (a hot rod 1911, and a souped up Ruger MK III are 2 of them):cool:

MixMasterEs likes this.
  9. The Governor

The Governor Loaded Pockets

I was able to squeeze this group off at about 7 yards with my lc9;
    [​IMG]

Nags and stbear like this.
  10. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

It's certainly no burst to my bubble for another shooter to shoot well--let alone to achieve professional-quality groups with a low-end, stock, sub-compact. Well done!

MixMasterEs likes this.
  11. MixMasterEs

This is for you Non Beliebers lol
    15 Yards
    [​IMG]
    20 Yards
    [​IMG]
    Rapid fire at 15 Yards
    [​IMG]
    30 Yards
    [​IMG]
    So okay maybe more like a 2 1/2 inch group, but still! I think I deserve a beer dammit!

Dj-MixMasterEs-

MTFatboy and cowsmilk like this.
  12. MixMasterEs

Random one for the target lovers [​IMG]

Dj-MixMasterEs-

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

The safety was a new thing I was going to have to get used to, and something I practiced with yesterday when I fired my P938 for the first time. What I found was when I drew the gun, I would rest my thumb on the safety. When I got the gun clear of my body, I would disengage the safety while I was still moving forward to firing stance. After two clips, it felt natural. I was still thinking about it after fifty rounds, but it didn't distract me like I thought it would. It helps that the safety is crisp, but not impossible to disengage with my thumb as I'm drawing.

MTFatboy and BubbaFett like this.
  14. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I have a Zastava M88A that, while a far cry from a Sig Sauer in features and machining, would perhaps have been adequate for my EDC had it not been for the safety. It is on the slide, and must be swung upward to disengage. Even with quite a bit of practice, it was awkward. My experience with the Sig P938 was the same as yours: My thumb finds it naturally, and a downward press disengages it smoothly. It functions enough like a full size 1911 safety that it really didn't even take much familiarization, since I've been shooting 1911s for years. The more I handle and fire that Sig, the more glad I am I didn't opt for anything else.

15. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I personally don't like the extended mags, but that is a preference for me and not what I had bought the gun for. I could have gotten a SC xchange kit for my P250. I ended up trading my extended mag for a flush mag from another forum member here, so it worked out good for both of us.

The one thing I learned yesterday was that 115 gr rounds shoot about two inches low and a little left of target. As seen here (the knots are about 3/4-1" in diameter for reference.
    [​IMG]

After I compensated...closer, but the group spread out a little.
    [​IMG]

Here is a group at 21 feet. That's a one by ten board for reference.
    [​IMG]

16. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

This was my first ever handgun with a safety, so I was happy that it is working out. I too am glad I purchased this gun.

17. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

Nice grouping there Governor

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

18. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

This was my experience as well. I have an extra flush mag and bought the extended mag to try out and found that the extra length made the gun print a little bit more. I also noticed that my point of aim was just a little bit different because of how I hold with the extended mag compared to how I hold with the flush fit. It's not better or worse just different and I don't want to complicate things with my edc. I do like the feel of the extended mag as it fits my mits perfectly, if it weren't for the extra printing I would buy another and run 7+1.

I keep wondering if I should buy a P938 cause it's not much bigger than my P238. However the Glock G42 is higher on the want list right now. I'll get a G42 once the hoopla calms down and the price normalizes. I do love the .380 cartridge for edc.

cowsmilk likes this.
  19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Two summers back, I spent quite a bit of time at the office researching "the best, most concealable" 9mm handgun. After two weeks, I decided I didn't want to buy any 9mm ammo so I abandoned the whole idea, lol. All I need are more ammo cans taking up space.

20. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

What cartridge do you use then? I'm thinking about consolidating to two semi-auto calibers and of course the .38 special. for the snubby. Can't get rid of the S&W 637PC, it's so versatile.

Last edited by Nags, May 1, 2014