1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Insight on a ccw 9mm please

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dms, Mar 21, 2014.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Agreed. It's a small gun but it was being compared to shooting the XDS 45. I alternate 9mm and 45 Auto all the time and in every instance the 9mm feels like it's hardly recoiling at all after I shoot the 45 for a while.

2. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Recoil is subjective, and small guns are generally unpleasant to shoot. I have shot .38 special rounds from a Ruger LCR that snapped like a mid range .44 Mag round....

TARFU likes this.
  3. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I've been very happy with my KAHR CM9. Compact, very smooth shooting gun. No problems whatsoever.

4. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Kahr PM9 here. I've been very happy with it. It is small enough to pocket carry, but since I usually carry IWB, I am thinking of adding an M&P shield to the rotation. If you do not intend to pocket carry, you can go with something larger like the Shield

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I liked the trigger better on the Shield when I rented and shot both. If I recall, the Kahr trigger was smoother but pretty heavy with a longer reset compared to the M&P Shield trigger.

6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

They are certainly different types of triggers. The Kahr is more like a revolver trigger, longer with a clean break and about a 7 to 7.5 lb weight. The Shield pull is shorter and I think the Shield pull is in the same ballpark but can be reduced further with APEX components.

7. 875fps

875fps Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, the sight is obviously an easy fix. No question there. I was jut disappointed in the quality that it would just fall out. lol And, speaking of quality it seemed that the whole gun lacked that overall quality compared to the XDS. IDK, I was just so let down with the gun after really, really wanting to like it.

And yes, it was the .40 which is a really snappy caliber regardless of what gun you're shooting it out of. The .45 and the 9mm has nothing on the .40 when it comes to recoil! :)

I actually like the aggressive grip on the XDS. If I'm in the rain, or have sweaty hands in the summer, I do not want that gun moving at all so I appreciated it. If I were to shoot just for fun, maybe not, but I really don't just plink around. If I'm at the range, I'm moving and drawing or doing accuracy drills. I keep traction tape on my G19 for the same purpose. I really need to get it stippled one of these days. After shooting a buddy's new Glock, there is no way I could go back to that slippery grip. :)

And a trigger isn't a fair reason to not like a gun since they're so easy to change and, like I said, I don't like the stock Glock trigger one bit, either. There is way too much slack in it. The more slack there is in a trigger the more prone you are to be off target. Point and shoot, short crisp reset, and shoot again. I like very little travel to avoid pushing or pulling the gun when squeezing the trigger.

Maybe I'm too picky. I don't know. I always handle something new expecting not to like it and it takes a lot to change my mind. I was the same way with my Glock. I was so anti-Glock before I started carrying. I have a 1911 and a XD45 4" (neither are concealable) and was all "XDs are so much better than those crappy Glocks" until I shot one and then it was "Well, maybe they aren't THAT bad". :) Now I swear by them. Without exaggerating, I have at least 2000 rounds through my G19.

Another thing that I like in my carry weapons is the lack of a safety. Keep it simple. When you're in a situation of life or death you don't want to risk getting hurt (or dead) because you can't find (or forget about) the safety. Think of all of the possible scenarios (someone has your other hand, someone just tackled you to the ground, someone just opened your car door and is pulling you out, someone is tugging on your wife's purse (btw, NOT a reason to shoot someone!) and there's another guy on the other side of her, someone just grabbed one of your kids, someone has a knife on you at the ATM....) I do not want to blame myself for the rest of my life for forgetting about, or not being able to disengage, some part of my gun that makes it function. Here anyway, it's illegal to pull your gun out and not use it. It turns the tables against you and now you're liable for aggravated assault. Before drawing your weapon, you have to have already decided that you're going to use it. There's no drawing and yelling "Step away or I'll shoot" nonsense.

But really, we're all different and we all have different sized hands and a Shield, or XDS, or Glock 26/19 are not one size fits all solutions. The same goes with caliber. Some people are just fine with a .380, some wouldn't dare carry anything but a .45. I've done a ton of research and read tons of ballistics reviews and real-world scenario articles and even a document from a mortician on what all (and how many) bullets he pulls out of people. When it comes down to it, the 9mm is just as effective as a .45 and I've got 15 of them on me when I leave the house. It takes my brother 3 mags to get to 15. :) But he feels more comfortable with a .45 and there's nothing wrong with that. It will definitely stop someone from being a threat. I just hope he doesn't miss and there's not more than 2 people. I don't know what he would do if 5 guys rolled up on him. Maybe after the first fell the rest would run away. Maybe.

Sorry to write such a long reply. I pray that none of us ever get to say first hand whether our CCWs were adequate enough.

8. crudos

crudos Loaded Pockets

Taurus Millennium G2. Quality construction, not much bigger than the XDS, 12+1 rounds, and about $150+ cheaper.

9. Hassan Nurullah

Hassan Nurullah Loaded Pockets

Try the XDs, I'm a Springfield man, Great triggers, great ergos, great performance and durability, or the new Remy R-51 if you can find one. Don't know how it shoots yet, but it is a sweet looking little single stack 9.

10. Hassan Nurullah

I've heard there are some serious problems with Taurus automatics and metallurgy.

11. Hassan Nurullah

Heck, why not a single stack .45? The XDs .45 is actually lighter then the 9mm.

12. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a Sig P938 (I have yet to receive, let alone fire it). I considered the XDS, the LC9, the Shield, the Glock 26 and 27, and Various Kahrs. In the end, several features set the Sig apart. I wanted a single stack, hammer-fired single action (for trigger pull) with night sights (a must for me) and a metal frame (just a preference), which ruled out all of the above except the Sig, although I have heard enough good about the XDS's trigger pull that I would have considered it if I could have gotten it stock with night sights. When you consider that the P938 offers all of these features, its price doesn't seem unreasonable--the only other options are Compact 1911s starting at about $400 more than the P938 (models with night sights, anyway). One firearm that hasn't been mentioned yet that you might consider is the Remington R51. They're not reaching the shelves quickly enough to suit my needs, and I have heard enough complaints that I believe those that are sold right now are constructed a little too hastily in order to meet demand. Once the kinks are worked out though, it should be a worthy consideration. It has no night sights, but it is inexpensive enough that one could have night sights installed and still come in near the price of the P938, and its elimination of the need for a guide rod makes its minimal profile hard to match.

swany66675 likes this.
  13. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

I hope you enjoy your Sig p938, they really are a nice little gun.

Congratulations

14. dc5446

dc5446 Loaded Pockets

I carry a g19, but I'm pretty interested in checking out walther's ccp coming out

15. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Glock 26 here for the stated above. It just works. I like the P938 but at $100+ more I could not justify it. I tried the shield, the grip was too thin for my paws.

16. LSJones

LSJones Empty Pockets

I have carried a Glock 19 everyday for the past 20 years, I have a G 26, but the 19 isn't that much bigger. I also have a Kahr KM9 which is the all steel gun,it is heavy for its size. Kahr makes a polymer the same size that would be much lighter and pocket size.

17. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

FNS 9. I've shot FNH's and they're great guns. Not too heavy but not light. I have an XDM compact and I have zero complaints about those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Picked up the Sig P938 yesterday and ran two magazines through a pie pan nailed up at 7 yards. The group is nothing to brag about, but all 12 through the pan confirms the pistol will do its job; the rest is up to me. Other implements pictured are for scale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I definitely recommend it. With night sights and a single action trigger pull, it's worth the extra cost over other micro nines.

19. Eklipsis

Eklipsis Loaded Pockets

I was recently shopping for 9mm ccw gun and I had a few that I really liked.

1. S&W Shield
    2. Ruger LCP
    3. Glock 26
    4. Springfield XDS

I ended up getting the Shield because of price and feel in hand.

20. MixMasterEs

MixMasterEs Empty Pockets

:/ well I may be the only one but I really like my 709 Slim :) it a very well made gun. Never had any problems with it and at just $300 it's a steal [​IMG]
    It's dirty and worn but it's reliable. 7+1

-MixMasterEs-
    Haters Gon' Hate

bull_paqqy and crudos like this.