1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Inova XS vs Fenix E05

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bryan123, Feb 16, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first question. I'm purchasing some flashlights because we had a power failure a week ago and I relied on the flashlight mode on my Droid Maxx to help me locate and light my candles.

I visited my local REI in Reading MA and saw the two "mini" AAA keychain LED flashlights, The Fenix E05 and the Inova XS. I want to buy one of these to carry on my keychain with my Leatherman Micra or SAK Cadet. At max brightness they are similar at 85 vs 80 Lumens. So far I'm partial to the Fenix because it can stand on a flat surface like a candle. I also like the way that it cycles from low to medium to high as opposed to the Inova's high to low. Starting at low would be an advantage if I were to drop something under my seat at the movie theatre for example...The Inova claims significantly longer battery life, longer distance, and could be made to stand up like a candle by standing it on a 5/8" split ring.

I watched a video on YouTube comparing both of them and the author used terms like hot spots, throw and spillage that I haven't learned yet.

Those of you who have used both, which would you prefer?

Thanks,

Bryan

2. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I haven't used the Inova although I kind of like the idea of a clicky tail. Wondering, though, if that might be accidentally pressed in pants pocket?? I bought the e05 a few months back and like it very much. Frankly, I use it a whole lot more than I ever thought I would and if I had a quibble, three levels of light are probably unnecessary. Starting on high or low in a general use flashlight is going to be a six of one, half dozen the other... sometimes you won't need a bright light and sometimes you will.

As for "throw" I'm inclined to think it's a meaningless statistic in such a small light.

I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with e05 but there are plenty of other choices on the market and my guess is you'll be pretty pleased with any of them.

3. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Welcome to the forums, Bryan!

I don't have any experience with Inova lights, but own eleven Fenix lights (ranging from the tiny E11, single AA light, to the massive TK51, running on 3 18650 batteries), and can say, first-hand, that they are extremely well-built lights.

The EO5 you are considering is well spoken-of in many flashlight enthusiast circles, and is well-known for it's dependability, day in and day out, at an economical price point. Based on my experience with Fenix lights, I would recommend the Fenix.

As for the terminology, just Google Flashlight Wiki, and when you get to their site, click on Terminology, and you'll find a wealth of useful information, there.

Enjoy your new light, when you receive it :)

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

The tail button isn't acutally clicky. You have to keep your finger on it for the light to shine and it takes a lot of force to turn it on in this momentary mode. The E05 has the twist switch near the forward end and it's easy to operate with one hand. The twist switch of the Inova is at the rear end which IMO makes it a 2-hand light.

I can operate the E05 with one hand even with the keychain attached. No way could I do this with the Inova.

Last edited by bryan123, Feb 16, 2016
  5. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Didn't realize that; not dissimilar to some of Surefire's lights. I just pulled a E2E out of the drawer and I can rotate the tail to turn on the light but obviously the E2E is a much larger flashlight and easier to grasp.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have had several of the XS and just one E05.
    The XS just die within a short time and I bought them for a lot of people as gifts and ended up getting them all E05s since.
    So far no issues at all with the Fenix.

david57strat likes this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I've several Fenixes and have had good experiences with them. I've given E05s as gifts and have had good reports back.

I've no experience with Inovas so can't comment on those.

Best of luck with whatever you get!

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If that E2E is a twisty tailcap, hang onto it - those are flipping rare.

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And I swear I saw this topic on CPF not two days ago.