1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Info on a bag for security work

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by MarineLEO, Feb 11, 2016.

1. piranah

piranah Empty Pockets

Take a look at Osprey packs. They have an amazing warranty and they dont look military at all.

2. MarineLEO

MarineLEO Loaded Pockets

I like the goruck ones a lot. I talked to the company and they don't mind molle just no camo bags or tan. I asked why specifically tan, they told me people see pics of military with their tan gear so tan gear is considered militaristic. So I am back to square one but I have more options available to me. So I can't complain to much.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Goruck bags are great and they recently started offering one again w/o Molle anyway.

I like the Molle but….

Anyway I got a GR2 late last year and that is what I would bring I think if I were you.

4. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

MarineLEO, if I may chime in..............

Been in your position many times in the past brother and I understand the concerns you have. I have operated in the past from Africa through the Mid East and all the way to the end of the world, Timor Leste. Like the advise you were given, I would stay away from cargo pants and the Kuhls are about as good as it gets. I've worn Kuhls for years and would be hard pressed to recommend anything else. That said, never underestimate a good old pair of jeans and these days preferably a darker colored one. Why? Just in case you need to throw on a Navy sport coat for that semi informal occasion. I can shoot and operate just as fast in my jeans. Unless of course you only wanna go with technical apparel and the jeans doesn't make that cut.

At the same time mind your shoes or boots. Keep those military type ones at home. There are several brands of footwear out there that I would recommend. I like my Lowas and I'm using the Innox right now but when I need footwear to take me from field to the Press Club, I recommend the Blundies or R.M. Williams. These have lasted me 10 years or more easily and considering the fact that I cover at least 100K flight miles a year, it says a lot.

And then we have the backpack. Given the fact that 'field gear' alone is not what I carry, I also needed a pack to haul my 'field office'. I essentially needed one that was going to help me cover all the angles and with the help of the guys on this forum, the Evade was born. Ever since we got the final iteration of the Evade out last year mine has seen time from Cambodia to Oman.

The front compartment alone can help you organize most of your stuff but mix in some of the Matroskya pouches and you've got possibilities. I use a small Matro as my IFAK; it holds a tourniquet, ETD, Quick Clot, gloves, dressing, tape, pad, etc. A large Matro holds a change of clothes. I don't mount anything outside of my packs, preferring it stay 'slick'. The sides will cover your 2 nalgene bottles and the mesh zippered pockets in the main compartment will meet your cable management requirement.

Most importantly it does not appear to be tactical and I spared no expense on using the best materials we can find. Check out the review of the Evade on Loaded Pocketz . com (/alpha-one-niner-evade-backpack-review/ .....remove the spaces).

As for anything else to carry, here are a few items I'd like to recommend:
    • Make sure your gloves are fire retardant if you don't mind paying extra for it......u just never know.
    • A spare TSA lock (small one).....I have found myself in several situations where this came in handy.
    • A PayPal debit card - I know this sounds rather odd but there's plenty of good reasons. Here's a couple.....one, withdrawing at an ATM anywhere in the world or using it at the counter does not incur ANY fees on Paypal's side. Two, do you have idea how many ATM machines in 3rd world countries have skimmers on them? So they skim your card info but they can only use up whatever you have inside. The idea is to transfer funds from your personal account to PayPal in amounts that you need and that's free too.
    • Smart wool socks even if you're in Sahara.
    • A Skilcraft pen - your black, red and pencil all in one compact package.
    And if you've never tried Ex-Officio's Give-N-Go Sport Mesh briefs, brother, you're missing out!
    Stay travels mon ami.

Water-Rat and MarineLEO like this.
  5. MarineLEO

MarineLEO Loaded Pockets

I know I posted this awhile ago but I haven't been in the best location for internet. So I use my limited time to talk with family. Im now on R&R so its easier to communicate. First thanks for everyones advise.
    Helm your response is perfect and I appreciate the input from someone who has done what Im doing now. I used all of your advise except for the bag I went with a goruck. Unfortunately I have had bad experience with it. It holds weight well but no organization by itself you have to buy individual kit bags, I hate that. I had a few for very specific items but didn't want to do that for everything. The bag held the weight fine but the materiel is not very good with abrasions. Trust me I lost all of my kit in the middle of a jungle. Its not like I was humping 20 miles through a thicket we set up a perimeter 20 meters out from the villages every time. So it would catch the branches and bushes from time to time. Then one day the bag ripped. Im now using an Alice pack I found locally for now. haha

Water-Rat likes this.
  6. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

ALICE pack... Man... Both disappointing but amazingly effectively I bet.
    My knees and mid back hurt thinking of the ALICE. Travel safe sir - and keep us updated!

7. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Haven't read every post but does it have to be a backpack? I've always found that messenger bags, even the tactical ones, are not associated by most as 'military-esque'? Something like the Hazard 4 Defense Messenger? Which is bombproof and modular, so you can expand capacity as needed. The limitation with a shoulder bag is that extended use will, of course, place stress on your shoulder