1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Infatuated with Vanquest Trident, need advice before purchase

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Evyndall, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

Hello!

A recent change in my lifestyle forces me to upgrade from my Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack to something more "spacious". I already own a 5.11 RUSH 24 - which I am very pleased with - but unfortunately it is a tad too large for my simple EDC and daily commute requirements therefore I believe something in the 20-30 liter range would suit my needs better.

What will I use the bag for:
    1) To carry my EDC stuff. It doesn't add up to too much considering I can fit all of it into the Jumbo Versipack without using the main compartment (admittedly all the other compartments and pockets are filled to the brim).
    2) To carry relatively heavy loads. I need a sturdy bag as I will be using it at trade fairs, meaning the bag will often get filled filled with catalogues and stone samples (yes, stone samples) which translates to the bag becoming heavy which I have to carry for the better part of the day. For this reason it needs to be comfortable to carry (unlike my Samsonite which becomes very uncomfortable the moment you put anything heavier in it than a few folders and a laptop...).
    3) To satisfy my borderline OCD organization needs. I like to organize my gear, everything having its dedicated little slot, pocket, compartment, etc. This is the main reason I like my Versipack and why I like my RUSH 24 in the first place.
    4) To carry some technology. Apart from my EDC gear I will probably carry an iPad Pro 10.5 so a pouch that is fit to carry that piece of equipment would be more than welcome.
    5) To do some light grocery shopping at the end of the day.
    6) To go on simple day hikes to the hills and fields near the town, nothing extensive, nothing hardcore.

I would like to note one more thing: I need my bag to have some leeway after packing. In practice this means that after I have fit in there my EDC items, an iPad, my light rain jacket and a 1500 ml water bottle in the main compartment, It should still have some elbowroom (for another bottle, work documents, a few books I might pick up during the day, etc.).

So with these premises in mind I set out to find my new companion.

Since I am already satisfied with its bigger brother, I naturally gravitated towards the RUSH 12 and this is where my search was supposed to end. However, after some googling I became infatuated with the Vanquest Trident 20 Gen 2 backpack.

Sadly it is not available at any retailers in my country so I won't be able to handle it before the purchase.

This is where I need some guidance from the community and especially Trident 20 owners
    1) How spacious is the main compartment if I take out the dividers? Can I fit in the above mentioned bottle and jacket with some room to spare?
    2) In your opinion, how much space do I lose due to all the padding in the bag? I am reading contradicting opinions on this. Some claim it takes away a lot of room while others say the bag is still deceptively spacious, being able to fit in just about as much as in a RUSH 12.
    3) The interior is lined with 210-D ripstop nylon, which sounds great but how durable is this material? Can it handle sharp or pointy items (hardbook covers, cardboard sheets, wires, etc.)?
    4) How well does the bag stand on its own?
    5) Are there any design flaws that bother you about the bag? I am not talking about deal breakers, just inconvenient or annoying small details that bother you personally.

I am hoping some Trindet owners will find this post and help me out :)

Have a nice day!

BookhouseBoy and Jay-uk like this.
  2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

The dividers pull out and slip behind the laptop holder or the rear section.

Padding is ok not bulky

Interior is very tough

Stands about the same as the R24 but can be better if you pack it balanced

None I love it more than any previous pack grail pack for me

My 21 gen 2 holds a crazy amount as much or more than the R24 but it takes Some time to work out and may lead to initial frustration then it clicks you have to consider weight, shape and how each area of the bag will the other .

It holds the same weight as the R24 but feels almost empty when secured well ,the R24 felt very heavy with the same contents

Evyndall likes this.
  3. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

That's all great to hear! However, I am a bit surprised by those claims regarding the comparison to the RUSH 24.
    How can the Trident 20 hold "as much or more" as the RUSH 24? I mean, surely organization and distribution accounts for a lot but based on the specs there is a whole 16 liters of difference between these two bags. One would think that means a lot in practice. :confused:

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I have a hard time believing the =Rush24 myself. I carried a Trident v1 for 3 years and finally set it aside because I needed more room for most days. It is well constructed and very organized (maybe too organized as if you fill all those slots it will be tough be able to get anything in or out of it). Pick and choose which areas you want to use at one time and it might work fine for you. I found it comfortable, if heavy for its size. It does tend to stand up pretty well, but I added water bottle pockets to both sides which makes it quite a bit wider than stock. The back compartment will eat into the main one if you put anything other than flat objects in it, as the bag pretty well holds its shape whether full or empty.

I carry a MAP 3500 most days now, which many will say is way overkill for an EDC/work bag. That's ok, I am away from the office and most everything else for much of the day and have to fend for myself. The Trident is a solid choice, I don't think mine has a mark on it from daily use.

Kirk

Evyndall likes this.
  5. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

Thank you, much of what you wrote is very reassuring!

I sort of expected the back compartment to extend inwards. However, thank you for mentioning that because it reminded me of another question!

Do the front compartments eat into the main compartment? I had a couple of backpacks like that and it was very annoying.

I keep seeing people attaching an external water bottle pouch to this bag. Do you think it is necessary? Is the main compartment too small to allow for a water bottle while still having some extra room for more stuff?

I am a bit confused by this. I guess you mean if I pack the bag full it becomes difficult to use the individual pockets?
    Looking at some of the internal pockets in the main compartment I can see how that can be true, some look difficult to access if I open the fully stuffed bag from the top.

6. Captainkirk

Do the front compartments eat into the main compartment? I had a couple of backpacks like that and it was very annoying.

No, I wouldn't say the front compartments eat into the main one, those tend to bulge outward.

I keep seeing people attaching an external water bottle pouch to this bag. Do you think it is necessary? Is the main compartment too small to allow for a water bottle while still having some extra room for more stuff?

I tried in the beginning, I really did, to put a water bottle in the main compartment, but it did not work for me. Now why it didn't work was probably too large a lunch bag (insulated) inside the main area. I also needed a second bottle for coffee and there was no where to put it, so I got two external pockets for them.Others will not want a water bottle inside in case it leaks, that can be bad.

I am a bit confused by this. I guess you mean if I pack the bag full it becomes difficult to use the individual pockets?
    Looking at some of the internal pockets in the main compartment I can see how that can be true, some look difficult to access if I open the fully stuffed bag from the top.[/QUOTE]

Take the flap pocket on the side for example, if you fill up each slot and cranny, it will not only eat into the main area a little, it will be difficult to remove and replace objects that are anything other than flat. I was able to keep a small AA flashlight there and a small fixed blade knife, but little else. Most of the slots went unused. On the inside, some of the hook and loop pockets will be difficult to access if the main area is full.

It is still a solid choice, especially the v2 with some extra width, it just depends on what you want.

Last edited by Captainkirk, Jul 10, 2018
    #6 Captainkirk, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Evyndall likes this.
  7. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

Okay, that's good to hear. My last Samsonite - for instance - held its shape very well no matter what but in return anything you put into the admin pouch was bulging inwards. Since I like to stuff my admin pouch that was rather irritating for me.
    Oh I see. Well I guess it depends on personal use. Most of the time I only carry a water bottle (a Klean Kanteen or just a plastic 1500ml bottle) and sometimes an insulated flask for my tea/coffee but I don't even own a lunch box. I guess those could fit in snugly.
    I have seen some videos of reviewers who absolutely stuff every pocket of their bags to a point where the bag almost bursts. That's not what I plan on doing though, but I do like to have all my stuff neatly organized. I imagine I would have something tucked away in every pocket and compartment, just not filling it up entirely.

My usual EDC includes an AA sized Nitecore flashlight, a Swiss Army Tool, several pens, a notepad, a watertight container of matches, hand sanitizer liquid, some basic medicine and bandaids, paper tissues, charging cables and adapters, a pendrive or two, my keys, a shemagh, some plastic bags, zip ties and some paracord. I have also filled up a Maxpedition E.D.C. Pocket Organizer. Right now all of this (except for the shemagh) can fit into my Jumbo Versipack with some extra room left in the main compartment (while the bottle holder is still empty).

I wonder if I can fit all of this into a Trident without any issues. Conventional logic says I should be able to after all the Trident is much larger. However, I am uncertain how "tight" the bag is due to all the padding.
    Well some of these things you wrote are rather unnerving. I am more uncertain now than before :D

But that's okay, I really appreciate that you took your time to share your experience and explain. I would rather think this over twice than rush into buying such an expensive bag that doesn't fit my needs.
    Oh well, if it turns out the Trident is not for me I can always opt for the RUSH 12 (and it is much easier to sell in our EDC community than a $160 21-liter bag). I am just so intrigued by the Trident! :)

#7 Evyndall, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  8. Captainkirk

You might look into their return policy before you give up on the trident. If I remember right, I bet you could at least get hold of one and load it up and walk around the house with it and still return it if it wasn't for you. Closeouts and clearance items may not have this luxury.

Kirk

9. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Sorry I meant R12 ,I typed R24 because I just read your post .

I do use a hazard 4 water bottle carrier attached.

In regards what I meant about packing and compartment bulging etc ,is that at first I wasn't super happy with the layout then I realised it needed to be packed with better focus and thinking to my other packs due to its lay out .

Once I nailed that I really fell for the pack,it's unreal what I can pack into it , maybe the weekend I will take some pics but honestly it'll blow your mind

Evyndall and BookhouseBoy like this.
  10. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

The Maxpedition Sitka is a very similar design, but with one shoulder strap (sling pack). I loved it, but anything more than 15 pounds wasn't comfortable to carry, and if you stuffed it to capacity you can reach that pretty quick. So I went on a search for a similar bag (layout) but with two shoulder straps and discovered the Trident 20. It's not obnoxiously thick for it's width like the Falcon 3, and one main compartment works a lot better than dividing that already small space into two compartments like the Falcon 3 does.

Love it and still use it as my primary daypack. It's comfortable up to 25 pounds, making it perfect for a daypack / overnight pack, and you can load it heavier for short duration trips, but it doesn't really have a load bearing waistbelt, more of a stabilizing one that would be useful for riding bikes and such. I tend to max out my bags, so keeping it small helps me from going overboard!

The only thing I wish was different was I wish it had low-profile water bottle pockets on both sides big enough for Nalgene or Canteen, and make it about 2 inches deeper (front to back). That would allow me to free up internal room instead of storing 2 bottles inside, and also use a hydration bladder without eating up a ton of internal room.

That would necessitate a change in their design philosophy though, ditching the sling-pack functionality and making it a top loading bag only, so it's not likely to ever happen, but I haven't found another bag organizationally that I like more. It would be perfect 3 season 1-3 day bag for my purposes with those changes.

It should be noted that I made a framesheet out of hardboard that I waterproofed, and it does improve comfort.

It's also expensive for what it is IMO -- if it was an $80 bag, I'd probably buy a couple (since I use it both for vacation travelling as well as outdoors/hiking)... but at $150? oof...

Evyndall and Jay-uk like this.
  11. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I wish it was that cheap here ($150)

12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I bought one in 2015 and used for about 18 months. It's cool in thought and design, but in function it doesn't really work well for a bag particularly with the dividers in place. I recall needing to stuff my jacket in once and couldn't.

Evyndall likes this.
  13. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the replies, I have been a bit busy lately and didn't have time to think about the bag purchase.

So far everything I have read indicates that the quality of the Trident is unquestioned. Seriously, I haven't been able to find a single, credible mention of some glaring quality issue anywhere and that's respectable (even Maxpedition and 5.11 have some odd remarks about quality failure here and there).
    Now that's one of the main concerns I have. I tend to have a rain jacket with me and I would hate to find myself in a situation where I can't fit it into my backpack. It's not a bulky rain jacket by any means, it doesn't have stuffing or insulation of any kind, it's only function is literally to just keep me from getting wet. It's my go-to jacket for all 4 seasons (if it gets chilly I just put on a thicker sweater).

I have been thinking between the Trident 31 and 20. Considering that my RUSH 24 is 37 liters in capacity and I find it unnecessarily big for daily carry, I think the Trident 31 would be too large for my EDC as well. So I think I have settled with the Trident 20 but now I am unsure if it would be too small or not.

Since I have no way of checking the bag in person I need to rely on videos, photos and some "absolute units of measurement", such as Altoids tins and Klean Kanteen bottles. These seem to be known all across to globe to EDC people :D

If anyone could answer me the following questions, that would be of great help:
    - How large are the elastic loops in the top front compartment? Can you fit in Altoids tins?
    - Can you fit Altoids tins into the side pouch pockets (they don't look very big or deep on the videos).
    - In the large front compartment I see there is a row of pen holders and one wider pocket next to them on the right. Once again, can you fit an Altoids tin in that?
    - I have a Klean Kanteen wide-mouth 27 oz bottle. Do you think I could put two of them into the main compartment with a very thin and flat rain jacket while still having a laptop in the sleeve? If the bag can accommodate all that without becoming too bulgy I think I will be fine.

As a side note, I just want to mention that one of my hobbies is practicing "gong fu cha" and for that reason sometimes I go outside to brew and drink tea in nature (or just wherever I happen to be). This requires some fragile equipment. It is my hope that the padded interior of the Trident (and the dividers) can provide sufficient protection for the ceramics.

Jay-uk likes this.
  14. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

A jacket laptop top and two water bottles, shall I try that for you and take a picture ?

15. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

The green item is a winter coat normally sits where the laptop is currently sitting ,of course you can remove the compartments and sit the bottles the other way vertically and lay the coat on top.
    Hope it gives you some idea [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Evyndall likes this.
  16. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

Wow, thank you! To be honest on the photo it looks like it it's all spilling out :D
    So all of that fits in nicely or did you just put the coat there for comparison?

If the Trident can swallow all that I think it's going to be the perfect size for me :)

17. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

It's fastened up.just fine the coat fits fine but in that green pouch lies flat rather than scrunched up there is always the 30 litre if needed .