1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In your own opinion what are some items every First Aid Kit should have?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by dudepal1510, Jan 27, 2012.

1. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

NPA are less bulky, less likely to cause a gag reflex, more forgiving on sizing and marginally easier to train/use. They have more contra indications because of the slim but serious risk of brain damage if used with a compromised skull. Manual airway is great, if that is all you need to deal with and tricky if you need to move to BVM or O2. Getting an airway in whilst they are breathing is better than waiting until they are struggling. In order of preference I'd say intubation, Combitube, laryngeal, NP then OP. But for an FAK for a weight to usefulness benefit a 28g NP probably comes out on top if you know how to use it.
    There are many levels of consciousness (Not just in Buddhism) and many casualties move up and down the scale. You wouldn't want to put one in an alert and oriented X4 patient unless you really didn't like them ;) but once in how easily they are tolerated is a factor.

Last edited by VinnyP, Nov 8, 2013
    Russ Prechtl likes this.
  2. Fisticuffs

Fisticuffs Loaded Pockets

For example you could have someone under the influence of drugs or alcohol who is border line conscious and an airway is needed the NPA works great. Then when they do finally pass out it is a little easier.

And not to beat a dead horse here and sound like a jerk, but I can't say enough about getting proper training. I have seen quite a few people go beyond their skill set and get screwed because of it.

3. Nightrain2221

Nightrain2221 Loaded Pockets

Tampons and maxi pads. You may laugh now, but they work. Ask me how.

4. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Good trauma dressings.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

sungame and Russ Prechtl like this.
  5. TechGuyJason

TechGuyJason Loaded Pockets

Can't say super glue enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'm a bit new here but would like to make a general observations based on personal experience. In most forums it seems that there is a lot of discussion about situations which are not that common. What I mean is that the average person is not likely to see them. For example, in one thread someone was talking about performing a cricothyroidotomy. In many years as ex-forces, working in A&E and even on the street, I have never seen nor performed such a procedure (nor a tracheotomy) even though I was trained to do so. It's not as common as people might think. To be fair though, knowing how to do it is fine, as long as the knowledge is not at the expense of more fundamental emergency aid techniques.

Similarly, most people don't walk around with a FAK on them. However, in an urban setting, if you have the proper training, everything you need to stabilise a patient until the professionals arrive, is available all around you - just needs a little imagination regarding re-purposing stuff.

For extended wilderness forays though I would recommend more serious training.

Funnily enough I have known many really good EMTs who, in their life outside work, have never had to deal with anything greater than putting a band-aid on or removing a splinter. And that's a good thing! :cool:

Recommend one item for a FAK? A pair of shears... and a cool head (okay that's 2 things, sue me :p)

FACE and Dok J like this.
  7. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Uh, I think that you will find around here they do. Maybe they don't have complete kits, but I really wonder if there is anyone here on this forum that doesn't have at least the very basic FAK in their pocket or within arm's reach right now.

I'm not chastising or arguing, I'm just imagining we are all in a room right now and someone stood up and asked, "Who has a FAK?" I think it is funny that all the hands would go up.

It's really not, who has an FAK, but what is in the FAK.

sungame likes this.
  8. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Fair enough, but I was referring to people in general, you know... the public, not the people on this kind of forum (coz they're special :D)

I guess my point, which echoes a much earlier post in this thread, is that equipment should be the least of one's concerns. Training is everything.

RoadWizard, Dok J and Tx_Mark like this.
  9. out there

out there Loaded Pockets

Depends on what you are doing out there? For me, I have a few prepacked kits that I can change out based on what I will be doing. Don't waste money on fancy bags either, Ziplock is as good as you will need. A box is cheap and the bags will last (if not, grab another from the box). Another big tip is to get rid of boxes, as they take up room. Be careful with medications. If you get into a situation where you may have bags searched, some medical equipment is "illegal" for john q. public to carry. Example being an epi-pen. Just because you can "acquire" one, doesn't make it legit. Be smart.

10. out there

out there Loaded Pockets

Superglue has been approved by the FDA as a liquid bandage.

11. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

No it hasn't . . Superglue etc are ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate or methyl 2-cyanoacrylate both can cause inflammation and are toxic. Medical glue is FDA approved eg. dermabond but they are butyl cyanoacrylate or most recently 2-octyl cyanoacrylate which are both far less toxic. They are an alternative to sutures not an alternative to plasters dressings etc.
    You need a very clean wound to use Dermabond because of the risk of locking in infection and you would only close in the field if you need to get someone back in the fight or you are not able to get to a hospital or clinic. So in most FAK there are lot of things that should be in there before Dermabond or sutures and super glue is for fixing things not people. Anyone trained enough to use them would already know this.

Last edited by VinnyP, Jan 27, 2014
    Swe_Nurse, FACE and Inner Prop like this.
  12. deusvult

deusvult Loaded Pockets

I just helped my daughter's Brownie Troop outfit their IFAKs. Here's what we used:

Adhesive bandages
    4x4 Gauze pads
    Alcohol preps
    Lemon juice packets (wasp stings)
    Mustard packets (burns)
    Small baggy of Baking Soda (bee stings)
    36" Duct Tape
    List emergency phone numbers (parents, grandparents, whomever)

I have a few other pieces of equipment in mine since I have been trained to use them:

CAT and Sharpie (never use a tourniquet without noting the time)
    NPA
    Quick-Clot
    Trauma Shears
    14ga. Angiocath for Chest Decompression
    Ibuprofen
    Tylenol
    Tweezers
    Duoderms from IV Start kits (make great chest seals)
    Tampons
    "Big Girl" sanitary napkins (compact trauma dressings)
    Emergency blanket
    Saline flushes (eye irrigation)
    Small carpet needles and silk for sutures
    Small hemostats

DON'T EVER TRY TO DO SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TRAINED TO DO!

Cprrckwlf likes this.
  13. Inner Prop

Please explain.

14. deusvult

deusvult Loaded Pockets

Wasp venom is a base, bee venom is an acid and for some weird reason, good ol' yellow mustard works great for soothing minor burns if applied soon after injury.

15. Inner Prop

Why not medical things packaged for those uses (e.g. burn ointment)? Just curious, not arguing.

16. deusvult

deusvult Loaded Pockets

I was helping a group of Brownies. Actual medicines, OTC or otherwise, would be a no-no for them and present a great legal liability for me as a medical professional. Cooking supplies with dual use also brings out the austere medicine aspect. Also, those items are free. ;)

ManVsLawn and sungame like this.
  17. The British Are Coming

The British Are Coming Loaded Pockets

One thing I carry that I've never seen anyone mention is a medical a plastic medical waste disposal bag. I figure if I've ever got to deal with clothes soaked in blood or anything else unpleasant it would be a good way to keep them until I can either dispose of or wash them.

thekapow and bzimmerly like this.
  18. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Im quoting this to make sure more people read this, we have already discussed this multiple times in other threads, but yet superglue keeps comming up in these discussions.. Even dermabond is hardly ever used, and why would we? Why take away the ability to clean and properly monitor the wound? Most wounds are better either left open or closed with either sutures, staples or strips by a doctor/similar who has properly assesed the damage, not by someone with no skillset.. All 3 can be removed in a heart beat. Im not going to go further into this again.
    Another thing which is underrated is at least 3 pairs of gloves. Many kits only comes with one or two, but if you are alone you need to take them off and change every time your hands leave the patient to prevent contamination of the rest of your gear. Which is why we mostly work in teams of two. One guy has all the patient contact and touches nothing but the patient. The other guys stays sterile and works the gear, paper work, radio contact and so one. Having a trained helper can make a world of difference, - so if your are going on a hike with a group - introduce others to the kit, so they will be able to hand you the things you need as soon as you get bloody, contamination of gear is the worst that can happen if you stand in a situation with more than one wounded. Is see knowing your AVPU, GCS and basic ABC as just as valuable as any kit, it will also help determin if a patient is stable or unstable - which is sometimes not easy to spot. Alot of ramble, but i hope i get my point over the counter :p

Things i would recomend for a kit are things that are as versatile as possible. Instead of using dedicated adheesive pads, i carry stuff like Melolin and Hypafix.. With these two you can dress almost any shape and size of wound.

Steri-Strips are another favourite of mine.

If i could give an inovation award to one product it would be the SWAT-T TQ

The rest is pretty much coverd

19. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Another thing which is properly well know to the professionals is the.. Guess what.. Puke bag.. Iate night partying or long drives with kids in the car, this can be a life saver ;). Good thing about this style is that it can be closed and locked after 'use' [​IMG]

Inner Prop, bzimmerly and deeker like this.
  20. Inner Prop

I do really like the idea of establishing task assignments ahead of time, discussing the kit and planning ahead in general. Very good points that I don't think I've heard in any class.

Normally the fact that different people have to do different things is talked about, but establishing that ahead of time never is, and should be.

thekapow likes this.