1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In your own opinion what are some items every First Aid Kit should have?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by dudepal1510, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mwelch8404

mwelch8404 Loaded Pockets

LOL. Back in the early 70's, I was trained, as a Navy Corpsman (all 4 years with the Marines - Semper FI) to do this with a big bore needle, a finger cot or glove finger and a rubber band as a "flutter valve." I mentioned that on a forum once, and they laughed at me and told me to look up Asherman Seals, etc.

That is EXACTLY why I have persued CURRENT training and had discussions with an up to date physician who is a family friend.

People would really be amazed how much you can accomplish in a heavy trauma situation with a few trauma pads, ace wraps and tri bandages... Matter of fact, I also got laughed at on the same forum, since I still prefer ace type wraps over things like Kerlex (sp?), etc. in the field. ;-)

2. mwelch8404

mwelch8404 Loaded Pockets

SInce you mentioned that, I actually remember using tubing and 2 jugs to make a low pressure suction "siphon" when weather had restricted medivac...

Not to mention crics and cut-downs.

3. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

Improve the mind set will make you feel better, especially if you have kids with you.
    You are so right!!!!

4. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

just thought of one the other day, that may be a good idea and not take up much room when folded up

small paper bag for breathing in and out of? and also could always use it for garbage :)

5. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Bad idea for breathing.....Too many people have died that way.

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I always wondered why cutting off the flow of oxygen was supposed to be a good idea. :rolleyes:

7. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Because on anxiety attack, people tend to breath faster, drawing more oxygen than needed and lowering the carbonic.
    The brain answers to that low CO2 by asking the body to "breath less", so the person who is already breathing too fast, feels his body doesn't breath right or he's suffocating, so tries to breath faster and makes the problem worse.
    The the balance between O2 and CO2 alters the Ph balance, giving simptoms like itchy sensation, dizzyness, muscle spasm, blurred sight, sensation of heart beating, trembling and even loss of consciousness.

If you limit the flow of oxygen making the patient "re-breath" the air (paper bag or closed mask in ER) you can avoid most of the simptoms and ease the end of the attack. But this should be done only under profesional surveilance, even under oxymetry monitor.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. N2505
    • In Omnia Paratus

N2505 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I always have a few on me.

mooshisho and Dok J like this.
  9. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Or, let them pass out and then bag them, if necessary. It's a self-limiting problem, really. Asphyxiating them with a paper bag is a really bad idea.

SAKplumber and Dok J like this.
  10. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

The medics at the ER are pretty reluctant to patients passing out, I don't really know why. :rolleyes: So we use a taped high flow mask (the ones with a reservoir).

11. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Could it be because it is very difficult to talk to someone when they have passed out? I'm only partially being cute. I would think they want to keep you lucid so they can talk to you, right?

Now I am going to be firmly tounge in cheek:
    Absolutely not. Those are very dangerous. You should never carry those.​

N2505 and Dok J like this.
  12. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I tried, but really can't see the bad part of a silent patient...

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Well, I always thought a few quick "puffs" into the bag was ok to clear up whatever the issue was (I've never been a bag huffer, so I am unsure)
    I didn't think they were supposed to breathe into it until they pass out from O2 deprivation ;)

I just saw a paper bag & thought hey that could be useful for those bag huffers. But! still good for garbage :) maybe not blood soaked cloths or anything but snickers wrappers and Band-Aid packaging while you are wrapping up that nasty cut ;)

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

Dok J likes this.
  14. Kranox

Kranox Empty Pockets

I pack an extra plastic bag in my FAK for getting rid of bad hiccough and for many other uses offcourse. It can be done by increasing the CO2 concentration in the blood. It works fine for me, just breathing up til five times and the hiccough is gone. I rarely have it, but when i have it brings bad chest pain ...

15. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I add 3 tampons to my FAK. Multiple uses including gauze and deep wound plug in an emergency. Works great too when hiking and backpacking with women when their cycle goes off calendar.

MagnaWolf likes this.
  16. Eliot Gelwan

Eliot Gelwan Empty Pockets

"Cyanoacrylates include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"), n-butyl cyanoacrylate and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (used in medical, veterinary and first aid applications). Octyl cyanoacrylate was developed to address toxicity concerns and to reduce skin irritation and allergic response." In other words, there's "superglue" and "superglue". The ethyl product that you would get in a hardware store is not something I would want in an open wound, from either a toxicity or allergy point of view. Octyl-cyanoacrylate for surgical wound closure is less easily available and much more expensive.

17. Saffa2

Saffa2 Loaded Pockets

Guys whats the difference in effectiveness and pros/cons of OPtubes vs NP tubes? I wastrained to use OP tubes but i see most of the guys here carr NP tubes if they carry something like that in their FAK.

18. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Well, the main difference is that NPAs can be used on conscious patients, as for effectiveness I'm not sure but both protect the airway effectively.

However I'm a bit worried about the amount of NPAs in peoples FAKs here on the forum and elsewhere, epecially those geared towards civilan uses. The reason is that while NPAs are easy to use they are also risky to use in some situations and honestly I'm not sure everyone that carries them are aware of this. For example it could be a very risky thing to use them in a car accident where the patient is unconscious or where the cognitive abilities are altered as that suggests skull trauma.

Usually its not even needed, there's no substitute for manual airway protection and if you got hands at your disposal they should be used for this in most instances. I do carry them as well, I've used them in live situations but thet are not the end all airway protection, far from it. I get the feeling some people view them as such (no one in particular, im not pointing fingers here).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

19. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

This! I EDC two to three pairs stuffed in a tiny ziplok with me - and they come in handy not only in first aid situations...

20. Saffa2

Saffa2 Loaded Pockets

Thanks alot! Why would you want to use an NPA on a conscious patient? And how can they be dangerous? I only learnt how to put in OP tubes so i know nothing about NPAs.