1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In your own opinion what are some items every First Aid Kit should have?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by dudepal1510, Jan 27, 2012.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

@Senserazer: I've answered in a PM, as i guess this is not very relevant for most of the forum users.

2. sst4270

sst4270 Empty Pockets

I'm new here, but I've been doing a lot of research on this subject. I've read through all the threads and have this to add:
    A headlamp (hands free light)
    Tampons (many uses besides the intended)

Thanks,

Steve

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Btw, I've read that tampons can suck a lot of blood up, as they are designed to absorb, not clot. Just an FYI:)

Again, I've never used it either, so I don't know for sure. Just information... YMMV:)

Sent from someone's plumbing using Tapatalk

4. silversixx

silversixx Loaded Pockets

I have been slowly putting a kit together from small items that my girlfriend brings home from the hospital.
    ammonia inhalant ( if someone has passed out), Dermabond (superglue that is for your SKIN!),absorbable hemostat (stops massive bleeding) assorted steri-strips. + most of what you guys mentioned before. I will soon have some lidocaine, a needle + everything else to dress wounds and put in sutures in the field. :)

5. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Tampons can be both good and bad... They suck a lot of blood, but as they do, they grow. So they MIGHT put some pressure and stop the bleeding. Problem is the blood you loose until they make enough pressure.

@Silversixx: Dermabond is really good stuff, but won't work on big wounds. And I wouldn't advise for stitching unless you are trained to do so...
    Plus, lidocaine has several secondary effects and some allergies... Be careful with those things. ;)

6. silversixx

Yea I wont be doing any stitches, but my girlfriend who is an RN can do that if she is present. I am building a kit for our camping trips, and a smaller one for edc. I will not be doing anything I am not trained to do :). Good advise for the dermabond, works awesome for specific wounds.

7. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Looks like you have your bases covered. Sorry if I sounded harsh, but you seem to be more solid folks than what I'm used to...

I kind of remember that Dermabond should be kept in the fridge, or at least far from heat; but can't remember if it was Dermabond or another brand...

8. silversixx

No worries. So far I have used the dermabond in a few different scenarios. No problems so far in any temperature and Im in the texas heat/humidiy. haha

Dok J likes this.
  9. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

mini bump
    I wish I woulda had sunscreen in at least one of my bags today :nah_disagree:so now, as soon as the pain fades, I'm going to add sunscreen to my FA kit AND my primary bag lol

10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

You should get the 2 ounce ones with the carabiner! :D

I learned way back in introductory bio class that sunscreen should be replaced yearly though. Am I wrong? I was taught that they are made from plant based materials, which deteriorate over time and is not as effective, if at all. I don't know if most sunscreens are now synthetic or what, but yeah. :) That's what I learned! And ever since, I would purchase a new bottle of sunscreen each year.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I've read that too. Stuffs cheap enough so we do too. :)

12. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

2 is 1, 1 is none. If you have any prescription medication or equipment that you need quick access to, e.g. inhaler, epipen, carry spares or backups separately in your FAK. I'm asthmatic, and I will carry one reliever inhaler in my pocket or on the outside of a bag, which is used whenever I feel wheezy/short of breath.

If I'm carrying my large FAK (Hiking, Camping) then I have a second one as a backup for serious attacks, along with an aeroflow spacer. There is also a spare preventer inhaler kept in there if I'm out overnight, as I need morning and evening doses, and they have a habit of running out when you're miles away from your spares.

13. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

I feel that PPE is the most important thing. e.g: CPR mask, gloves, etc...

Also when it comes to hiking I also always include a Sam splint. Something super light, cheap, and compact.

[​IMG]

You can also get off brand versions from cheaperthandirt.com for about $5-6.

403Jeeping likes this.
  14. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

After getting stung by a red wasp yesterday, I wanted to come add--> 1 cigarette !! Best thing you can use for stings from wasps, pinch off end take a bit of water or saline and get it moist, and slap it right over sting for 5 minutes (or plop a bit on a bandaid and stick it on). Even if you don't smoke, bum one from a smoker friend to stash in a container in your FAK

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

^I've heard that one before:)Just forgot. When I was a smoker nothin wanted to sting me;)

16. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

The only downside would be a smoker who has quit, then it might be too much of an enticement :/

But! It does work well :)

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

They're useful as a field-expedient lap sponge (pads as well) so that you can get a good look at the wound and assess the situation, then clean enough to get a dressing on.
    IMO a good kit needs a light, a pair of trauma shears or a rescue hook (both in mine), gloves, bandages, minor painkillers and/or bloodthinners, burn gel, alcohol pads,a few packets of sunscreen, and the specialized bandages that you never thought you would use such as knuckle and fingertip bandages.

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Funny, those are the ones I always carry, use, and run out of;) Regular bandaids are a must, though I rarely need them. Personally I use my FAK for cuts on my fingers more than anything...IDK, maybe I need to get out more;)

19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I almost never hurt myself except the rare knife cut- and most of them don't need bandages.
    I carry a FAK mostly for those around me- the micro kit in my wallet is constantly being used.

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

a small note book that has list of normal vitals, so you can compare to what is going with your patient