1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In your own opinion what are some items every First Aid Kit should have?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by dudepal1510, Jan 27, 2012.

1. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

Superglue that you buy in stores is not the same stuff as medical "superglue" that I've seen used in A&E (on me, when I slashed the tip of my index finger with a box cutter).

I asked the nurse at the time and she said that the superglue you buy is actually nasty stuff to get in a wound.

That's why I carry steri-strips for small wound closure.

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Plumbing glues have a pretty extensive warning label, including some crap about effecting some organ or another if you get it on you enough. Smells good though. Hahaha...no.

3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

A pint of Brandy.

Lee Bradbury, wildborego and chefjon like this.
  4. smsrods

smsrods Empty Pockets

You can buy dermabond on Amazon I think. It's pretty expensive, and you should ask a physician about using it appropriately, but the stuff works well for small minor cuts to fingers etc.

5. Graphmed

Graphmed Empty Pockets

A simple trick I use is to think back about all the situations where I really needed something and had to borrow/buy it. For instance (personnal experience):

- Pain killer (ibuprofen, etc...): found myself in a hotel in Istanbul with a flu, fever started at midnignt, feeling too bad to leave my bed to check with hotel's concierge.

- Allergy pills: having left home in a hurry, forgetting to take my pills and finding myself in the midst of blossoming and pollinating flowers...

- Diarhea pills: I spare you any description...

- Tweezers: ticks or wood shards.

- Bandaid and alcohol...

etc...

Doing this I have a list with the minimal stuff I probably need to carry everyday.

Then based on my situation I complete it or prepare additional kits (for car, for workplace, etc...)

Highway9 likes this.
  6. fmf1854

fmf1854 Loaded Pockets

A cell phone for 911

Ramrod87 and Fisticuffs like this.
  7. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

Good thread!

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good call! Welcome to the forum BTW!
    Thats a great idea...learn from your own histoy. I think thats how my wife packs the Medicine cabinet(duffle bag for meds) that we take when we go camping. I just think she considers everything any of us have used in the last year. Its always packed to the gils. But then, we have everything we need when we need it.

9. E.D.C. Fool

E.D.C. Fool Empty Pockets

+1 especially since your needs or those of your family or friends may be different given your medical histories and physical environment. You might also consider those times when you just had to suffer through. Man, if there had just been something to counteract capsaicin and extreme gas six hours after eating that Inferno Burger and greasy fries in Denver.... :explode:

10. marauder4

marauder4 Empty Pockets

nasopharyangal airway, sterile gauze, coban, and an Isreali dressing. If you know how to use it, some QuikClot ACS and a large bore catheter. That's what wanders around in my patrol bag with the CPR shield anyway.

11. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Loaded Pockets

Could not agree more. With knowledge, experience and a cool head, you should be able to deal with any situation with the items you have on hand.

You need that and some BSI/PPE.

12. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

For a simple boo-boo kit, one or more of the small saline bottles designed for eye drops (20ml I think). Good for eye rinses. If you bear down on it, it gets a stream with enough pressure for basic wound irrigation, and if it isn't enough to clean the wound, great indicator that you need some secondary care. Can be used in a pinch to help swallow pills. Can be used to gently irrigate a foreign object out of an ear canal.

For a trauma kit, I'll echo the Flight Doc with training. I'd rather have someone with plenty of professional training and a crappy workplace FAK work on me than someone who just reads a lot of forums and has better kit than most ambulances. Then again, I think you should be EMT-B certified before you can have a kid, so I might just be nuts.

Highway9 likes this.
  13. WildEMT

WildEMT Loaded Pockets

Ditch triple antibiotics... They do more to trap weeping fluids and not enough to prevent disease. A clean and properly cared-for wound does not need them.

thekapow likes this.
  14. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I hope this is not too far off-topic, as it doesn't involve the hardware in a FAK.

What training would you recommend? I have gone to the local Red Cross for First Aid and CPR classes. Anything else that might be effective at a reasonable cost? (No, I can't afford med school, and I am not nearly smart enough to qualify anyway.)

15. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Hey I like that idea! Especially for irrigating small wounds. I feel like the alcohol prep pads don't really flush out the nasty stuff if it was a dirt fall.

Interesting notion about requirements for having kids though, I think a college degree should also be a prereq but I might be nuts too =)

Do tell more...do they not really have antibacterial effectiveness?

16. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I'm interested in this too. Do they have any application? Or are they just snake oil?

17. Bagnerd

Bagnerd Loaded Pockets

My nephew ripped up his shins sliding into home playing baseball.
    For a couple of days he was smearing triple antibiotic cream with Lidocaine all over it and came close to a DANGEROUS infection.
    By the time I saw it , his leg was hot all around the wound and getting swollen.

18. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Jeez. I know of a similar case where the person died of a MRSA infection. Went from minor wound to death in less than a week.

So, properly cleaning the wound is more important, then?

19. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Wilderness First Responder courses seem to offer the most bang for the buck....if you can't find a 'wilderness' course, a regular First Responder is OK. The wilderness aspect covers longer term care and improvisation of materials.

403Jeeping and surgicalcric like this.
  20. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

A good CPR mask, like one of these http://www.galls.com/style-RO007-general_catalog-dyna-med-cpr-mask-with-one-way-valve
    I like to get them with the nylon pouch and put gloves, an OPA and NPA in with it. Unless you live in Mogadishu you will have a better chance of using it than you ever will using a tourniquet or quick clot (although I carry them, too.)
    Steer clear of these http://www.galls.com/style-RO831-general_catalog-dyna-med-cpr-microkey-comes-in-six-colors
    I could regale you with a story on why these are complete and utter junk, but lets just say, there are better products out there.