1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In your own opinion what are some items every First Aid Kit should have?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by dudepal1510, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dudepal1510

dudepal1510 Loaded Pockets

Even include common sense items like gauze and antibacterial stuff. You needn't post EVERYTHING a first aid kit should have, just a couple of ideas.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Loaded Pockets

-Bandaids
    -Gloves
    -Thermal Blanket
    -Antibacterial stuff
    -Gauze
    -Sandwich bag (for trash)
    -Tweezers

That is all I can think of right now.

3. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

An operator with knowledge, experience and a cool demeanor.

4. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

What the Doc said!:agree:

5. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

There are some small things that a lot of people don't consider because they have no need of it, but since a FAK is for other people too...

- Low-dose asprin (for heart attack)
    - Glucose tablets (for diabetics)
    - Benadryl (for allergic reactions, including food allergies and severe insect sting allergies)
    - Super glue (not for severe skin trauma, but can temporarily close and protect small to moderate wounds)

If this kit is going to be used as a blowout / trauma kit you should include at least one Israeli dressing.

Also, carry a pad of paper and pen or marker. If you plan on administering aid before paramedics arrive they will greatly appreciate you getting any information about the victim, especially if they are badly enough injured to lose consciousness. Find out their name, age, and if they have any known drug allergies or medical conditions. Rite-in-the-Rain waterproof paper notebooks are good for this because blood won't destroy your notes.

BklynBoy, Andrea G. and Anthologics like this.
  6. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Low dose is not for the onset of a heart attack for that you would be looking at a standard 300/325mg tablet.
    It's been pretty much done to death but Super glue has no place in any first aid kit.
    In answer to the OP assuming they mean every first kit produced rather than every first aid kit I, or they might have.
    Then I would suggest gloves, some kind of mouth to mouth barrier, dressings, shears, a torch and an emergency blanket.

7. timbo937

timbo937 Empty Pockets

low dose aspirin

The low dose aspirin dosage for an acute situation is 4 x 81mg (324mg.) It is also recommended the low dose aspirin be chewed.

I'd stay away from chewing a 325mg regular aspirin. Most heart attack patients have nausea to begin with. After chewing a 325mg aspirin, you may find their last meal on your lap.

8. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

+1 and an irrigation syringe

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Whilst googling up 82mg aspirin(Infant Aspirin), I found out the some people take it everyday. Some prescribed by their doctor and some not. Also, It can be harmful to take everyday...apparently, for the same reason that it is good for heart attack sufferers...

"Aspirin works by suppressing your body’s natural production of substances and blood cells that can cause swelling, pain and blood clots. It’s a type of drug known as salicylate."
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/09/who-should-take-a-daily-aspirin/

10. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

Quikclot cant say how much this stuff is worth its weight in gold. I have used so many times while hiking and camping cause I am just pretty wreckless and dont care or realize how much I abuse my body while hiking.

11. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I'd not heard that before, it must be different over there. Definitely here the resus council say it's a single tablet and the kits have to have 300mg (325mg tabs is more a US thing) tablets in them. I did find this from harvard medical school

12. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

The imodium in my kits has come in handy several times, and those that needed it were always suprised and grateful that I had some.

Highway9 and Saffa2 like this.
  13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

An absolute minimum:

- band aids
    - gauze
    - sterile sealed compress ( "enkeltmannspakke" in Norwegian)
    - some kind of antibac

14. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

What's the reason crazy glue shouldn't be in the FAK? I've used before on cuts...?

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for the link...at the bottom of the article is a graph and this quote:

"Chewing aspirin hastens its antiplatelet effect, as measured by the reduction in blood thromboxane B2 levels. It took only 5 minutes for patients who chewed aspirin to achieve a 50% reduction in baseline levels, versus almost 8 minutes after they took it in a solution and 12 minutes after they swallowed it whole."

Makes sense to me that a low dose aspirin would not get as much aspirin into the persons blood quick enough to do any good.

16. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

My FAK is the same I take whether I'm traveling with the family or hiking in the woods. In addition to what others have mentioned, mine includes a smattering of OTC drugs such as:
    - Children's ibuprofen/acetominophen
    - adult pain killers
    - anti-diarrhea meds
    - Dramamine
    - Tums
    - allergy meds (Benadryl/Claritin/Zyrtec or generic equivalents)
    - triple antibiotic ointment
    - decongestant

I've ended up using each one of those for one reason or another (but not all at the same time, obviously)

17. smsrods

smsrods Empty Pockets

The best reasoning we ever got for using 4 81mg "baby ASA" was the orange flavor, they still taste kind of nasty, but better than a regular ASA, just an easier way to get the pt. to chew them up and swallow.

18. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Band-Aids is a must for me. Followed by some Paracetamol.

19. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Epi-pen

20. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Vinny; why no superglue? I always carry superglue with basic meds and plasters(bandaids) in my messenger bag.