1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In trouble at work, need help, EDC in jepardy.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Mr BadWrench, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Look it sucks. You went out and bought some new clothes that will last and they went and changed the dress code on you. Stuff happens and if this is the biggest problem you face, well I'd say you're doing pretty well. Get you some Dickies or something similar and call it good. if you want to change policy, work hard, get noticed, and move up through the ranks.

2. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Just find another job, you obviously have more to offer them than they have to offer you.

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Seriously, find another job over pants? I can only imagine how the interview process would go when asked why he left his last job. "They changed the dress code and I could no longer wear cargo pants. It was asking too much."

4. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

No, that's you just answering using a stupid answer. Number one, I wouldn't tell a new employer anything about it. If I did, it sure wouldn't be like you just did. You worded it in such a way as to make the situation ludicrous on the part of the employee. The fact of the matter is, they are placing demands on employees to work on vehicles in improper attire. Then when it gets ruined, they don't provide uniforms, so it is a constant drain on his life. Not your's.

Thanks. :)

5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

This has gotten waaaaaay of topic, but I have one thing to point out. Just like in all areas of life the majority of us are rational, clear thinking, decent human beings. BUT it doesn't take many $SS HATS to completely throw off our perspective. I've had jobs where one, just one bad manager made it almost impossible to work there. Because of this I personally cover my $ss :censored: much as possible. I am still profesional, polite, and efficiant at my job. But I document when I have problems. And whenever possible I document whenever I get instructions that are not SOP. Why? All it would take is for one bad manager to cover his own mistake by throwing me under the bus, and I have worked with managers who have deliberatly set people up this way.

I don't recomend turning your work invironment into an adversarial workers vs management cat fight. But I would not assume that management has your best interest at heart, because even the good ones don't. If they are honest they put their own interests first, and the company's usually second. Often yours theirs and the companies interests will be the same, but I wouldn't count on it.

6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

It really has nothing to do with the pants. It's about managements obvious lack of empathy regarding an employee and a manager who likely gets a rush from the power in his position. If they are going to "okay" clothing, then tell you they aren't okay after you buy them, then you can't really trust them with anything else they say. Without some level of trust or faith in your employer, you are going to have a miserable working life with them. If the manager is willing to sacrifice you simply because of pride, then you mean nothing to them. A good manager will stand up for his underlings.

I had one manager who always went to bat for his guys, got his hands dirty with his guys, and admitted when he was wrong. He treated us with respect and he was extremely well respected. This should be criteria one for anyone to be considered for management. Just because you are the boss doesn't mean you don't have to work, and certainly doesn't mean you are always right. Admitting one's mistakes and accepting accountability is an absolute must, to be considered a good manager. But too many managers try and rationalize their mistakes by using their underlings as personal sacrifices, or using some type of psychological mumbo jumbo to make it the employee's fault.

But it doesn't mean you can do anything about it, except to find a new job. They aren't going to change and any challenge in their authority will be met with vengeance, by completely abusing the power of their position.

DBR likes this.
  7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

These two statements are absolute truth. But there are so many people, not just on these forums but on all forums, that will tell you that is "paranoid" or whatever.

8. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have witnessed it first hand, as I'm sure many working class citizens have as well. Those in power don't want to hear this and immediately start spouting off about how the employee is wrong and is being adversarial, playing games, or bringing this behavior on themselves. It hurts their ego when their brotheren are accused of this, and take it as a personal attack.

9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Indeed. From employers/owners/management to police officers, most of the time when you have the whole adversarial, "Us Vs. Them" claims, there is a reason behind it.

Basically, in most cases I have personally observed, management does what it wants. Especially in businesses that have satellite offices. I don't know what it would be like at "corporate headquarters," but out in branches they are basically little fiefdoms. When I worked at Wells Fargo Alarm Service, I watched it for the better part of a decade. I watched the Central Station Manager constantly ignore a Central Station Operator who was tardy but she liked her. Another Central Station Operator who she did not like was canned for the same behavior. I watched another Central Station Operator get away with making over $2,000.00 in "900" number :censored: calls (Remember them? pre-Internet :censored: spam on late night TV all the time...) on the company phone! He didn't even have to pay them back, just got wrote up! He didn't get fired and he didn't have to pay back what was essentially grand larceny because someone liked him, in this case not his immediate boss, the woman I mentioned before, but someone directly above her. I mean, I could keep typing... :)

10. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Actually that's not "the fact of the matter" at all.

The OP had a pair of pants the didn't stand up well to what he did at work. He bought another type of pant that he felt would hold up better. Despite his very reasonable efforts and the reasonable response of his DM, who did not know about the change to the dress code, his new pants were ruled out of bounds. He was initially and understandably a little spun up about this, but he has since settled down and worked things out with his management to the extent possible.

The company is not making unreasonable demands as far as I can see. They are not insisting the that employees wear ballerina tutus or worsted wool suits. They are simply saying that pants with cargo-style pockets are not within the dress code. In the universe of inexpensive pants, like Dickies, there is probably a pair of pants that will work just fine. And, since there are many others in the company who are in the same job and presumably have the same problem, the OP can probably find a very fast solution.

I also don't see any bad faith or power trips from the OP's immediate management and the DM. Remember the OP said "It seems the rules about cargo pants were just added to the handbook a few weeks ago. No one knows who, how or why." So the DM didn't know about the recent change and gave the OP his approval based on the best of his knowledge. Now they are both in a situation and they need to work it out the best way they can. But ... the DM has the responsibility of making sure the (new) dress code is followed. The resolution was that the DM "allowed me to wear them without being reprimanded until the next store inspection when I was told if the higher ups don't notice they wont bother me about it." Which IMHO is perfectly reasonable. If these guys worked for me, I would say that they both handled the situation well.

Dan2 likes this.
  11. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Whatever. Hahahaha! The point is, he should get out of there anyway, the guy obviously has a lot going for him and he can do better, eventually, than AutoZone.

12. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

AFAIK Duluth Trading has a very liberal return policy, so at the very least you can send those 5 pairs back.

13. Relayer

Relayer Loaded Pockets

Some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Company policies sometimes change. They now down't want employees wearing cargo pants. I like cargo pants, but I can understand the policy. Big deal. Wear your cargo pants elsewhere. They're great pants that you can still use. Get a couple of new pairs of cheap pants that meet the requirement.

If this is the big issue that you're going to draw a line in the sand over, you're probably going to run into "problems" at every job you're ever going to have.

Dan2 likes this.
  14. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

People generally adjust. :)

15. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

You missed the point entirely.

DBR likes this.
  16. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

The OP said he wasn't singled out. In fact, quite the opposite as all employees were put on notice about the cargo pants. He wasn't written up, but rather given till the next store inspection to find something else to wear. He had also recently been promoted although he said, in his own words he is an average performer. Aside from breaking in a new manager, it doesn't sound like he has it that bad.

17. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I don't think it really makes much difference except to him. Does he want to carry on in what is essentially a go-nowhere job where the only place he can go is to become one of "them." Some people do choose that. :)

18. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

What gets me is that it's Auto Zone not some high end jewelery store with rich clients to impress. If you want uniformity then maybe the company should provide the clothes. JMHO

19. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

It doesn't matter to "corporate." They have their own fantasies to carry on with.

vegassprky likes this.
  20. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

We don't know that. The OP (who has wisely fled this thread) didn't identify his employer. The only one who has mentioned AutoZone is DBR. He brought up the name because he once applied there and was rejected, hence the grapes there are all sour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.