1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In trouble at work, need help, EDC in jepardy.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Mr BadWrench, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench Loaded Pockets

Wow I just reread that and its really random.... Im sorry... simply put I MIGHT be able to keep them but sooner or later I need to buy new clothes.

2. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Welcome to what is now oftentimes referred to as, "management style." The only thing that will stop this runaway train is a big return to unions...but that isn't going to happen, either. Corporatism at its finest, sounds like AutoZone. If it is, I can't even figure out how you got hired after taking their "are we hiring a psycho" online application as you probably like pocketknives. :)

3. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Perfect! Actually, you will probably enhance your relationship with the DM through this as long as you keep handling it this way. As evidenced by his comment about "the higher ups" you can see he has bosses too and does not want to be a hassle for them.

If you are able to develop an unusually good relationship with the DM, resist the temptation to go around your supervisor or complain to the DM about your supervisor. Doing that could really cause trouble for you. But if the DM asks you a direct question, you can certainly answer honestly. Try to do it, though, so it doesn't sound like an attack on the supervisor.

Life goes on.

4. Mr BadWrench

wow, good guess.
    Running construction crews all my life, I mostly know how to handle people just never had any experience with authority being self employed/ family employed. I know not to talk about supervisors to sr supervisors but I do allow myself an occasional practical joke.

5. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I went to a local DroneZone for a part-time parts delivery job about three years ago and they couldn't even give me an app in person. They told me to apply online. I spent the better part of 30 minutes of my life I can never get back filling out that nonsense where they are trying to ascertain if the applicant is going to dent some moron's cranium with a Chinese-manufactured adjustable wrench or not. The conclusions I arrived at I won't state because I don't want to insult you because I don't think you're that kind of person...but the online application left me scratching my head as to the personality type they desire in an employee. I answered honestly but apparently they want people who can basically be spat on and won't even get angry about it. Hahaha! That's at least what I got out of the app.

6. Mr BadWrench

They are looking for people who will blindly follow their selling plan to the letter without question. The manager that hired me did not follow their policies at all, he wanted someone who was capable of replacing anyone in the store and was willing to work strange hours, weekends and holidays. He git hired because he was the only person with management experience who had applied when the manager before him was fired. We both kinda got swept in by accident.

7. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Sounds like you should look for another job.

8. Mr BadWrench

Got apps in all over. I sorta half hope for the manager that originally hired me to call from somewhere else. When he left he told me he really enjoyed working with me and would hire me again if he had the chance. Its a jungle out there.

9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I remember the questionnaire having really tricky questions, trying to figure out a person's temperament. What I would be looking for in an employee is someone that would not fly off the handle and basically attack someone. Bad liability, right? They want someone that absolutely will not get physical even to defend their own person. I don't shop there unless there is something I specifically need that they have which is very little to be honest.

10. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I know it all too well. If you can stick it out at your current job, do so and that way you can approach the job hunt process without any sense of desperation or need. Then, when you meet folks and go through interviews, take an active role and interview the employer to see if they fit your needs and work style. If the prospective employer chafes at you being somewhat aggressive, you have learned something right there.

11. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

The problem is, there are so many people out of work, if they want someone more skilled, they can generally get them. If they want someone totally subservient, they can get that person, too. As Mr. Bad Wrench stated, it's a jungle out there, all right. It is, for the most part, sucking terribly for most people. Tough times make for tough people...also makes for chameleons.

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

It's not just about skills. It's about a fit with the organization. Think of the company that you work for as a social clique, which, for all practical purposes, is what it is. Either you adapt to fit in or find one that you fit in with. More than once, I got a position over someone who was, strictly speaking, more skilled in a technical sense. But I did bring more to the table with knowledge of the business processes and/or knowledge of the company. I also added to my technical arsenal by working to improve my writing and verbal communication skills. Early on, I hated speaking in front of people, but after I got over that hump and took on some training responsibilities, I found myself being more valuable to my employer.

13. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

Is there anything keeping you from returning them to Duluth, getting your money back, and buying some other black pants? This seems like a non-issue.

14. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I remember when my Wife was a manager for a chain retail store. She was expected to dress like she made over fifty grand a year on $36,000 in salary and had to also unload a truck once a week and do things every day that would ruin clothes. As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea of libertarianism when it comes to employers, allowing them to do whatever they want to do...is nonsense.

15. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Real libertarianism swings both ways. You don't have to work for an insane employer.

16. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I get the feeling you were a good man to work for.

17. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

That's true but like most things that pass the Ayn Rand sniff test for sound philosophy to live by, it doesn't pass the reality sniff test. The fact of the matter is, a majority is 50.5% and I feel more than safe in saying that the vast majority of employers are, as you are utilizing the word, "insane." I'm basically an Objectivist, save the fact that as much as I love the Randian Idealism, it doesn't wash in the real world.

18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Seems silly to me to risk your livelihood over the pants you choose to wear. You will not earn points by pushing it until you get a written or verbal warning.

19. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

That's what I am really getting at. I mean, only a real mentally ill control freak would have to so rigidly control appearance. I understand it's a business environment, but the pants he is talking about are not outside of the realm of what would be considered acceptable in a rational environment. The best thing he could do is go back to what he made a living at for years and be done with the corporate drone environment.

20. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

I've been reading this thread with some interest. At first I thought it was a petty authority style move aka "If says the sky is green when the sky is blue, you sez its green" but when it was mentioned that there was a new employee handbook that came out...all bets were off. It sucks but someone actually got paid to implement that new rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.