1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

In praise of the Elzetta Bones

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by 0dBm, Jan 22, 2020.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I carried one for 20 continuous months (along with a backup made by another brand and one that I’ve long carried) in some very contentious circumstances.

This model is apparently the simplest in design and functionality of the entire product group. In the application in which I used it exclusively, it functioned each and every time I activated it.

If it hasn’t already been done, I will leave it to others to discuss the form, fit, finish, beam quality, colour temperature of the light product output, runtime, etc. as those aspects do not ultimately concern me.

It was part of a kit that was prepared for me. I did not know who made it since there was no logo to identify it and I made no effort to ID it since I was extremely busy at that time.

I would carry that particular sample since I have proved it to be reliable as I have used it in the application it was designed for; however, I returned it along with the entire contents of that kit to the organization that provided to me.

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I was not familiar with the Bones model. I don’t own any lights from Elzetta, but have been considering the Alpha for jacket pocket carry. Even though I own quite a few multi-mode lights, I prefer simple on/off, single-mode lights for most applications.

Thanks for posting this.

3. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I must admit that I'm not familiar with Elzetta at all.

Seeing that the Bones is rather underwhelming once you've read the specs and have seen the price,
    I'd be more interested in what the strengths of this light are.

All I can see on their website is a simple 18650 light, made from the usual aluminium with a tailswitch that has a single mode which only provides 650 Lumens for 90 minutes. Neither output nor runtime seem to be impressive for the size. No clip, no tailstand, no recharging.
    Elzetta do not give any information about water and shock resistance, but I sure hope they are far above the standard IPX8 and 2m drop.

What does this light offer to make it worth the asking price of $145 ? I'm curious.

turbo6 likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Well, first of all, I didn’t pay for it. Your tax dollars did. After I finished my task, I returned it intact to the organization that provided it to me.

Your description below is accurate and it is exactly what I require in the application in which I used it. No frills. No Bravo Sierra features. I DON’T care about those things when I have drawn my firearm to protect myself and/or others. Push the button to activate and release to turn light off. Simple operation and it is exactly how I have trained during the past 32 years.

“Only” 650 lumens. I’m amused by that statement but not surprised as the outputs of this class of handheld flashlights have exponentially increased. I remember when I used a Surefire incandescent light with a 60-lumen output. It was good enough then and I would still be using it today in this application IF I could STILL reliably source the lamps.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  5. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Looks like a decent Surefire alternative. Which is not a bad thing, good for the single purpose of quick, (mostly) momentary and crucial illumination. Same pros and cons as a Surefire. Which many flashlight enthusiasts doesn't understand because they only see modes and lumens instead of seeing the point in using the right tool for the job.

I would never buy one, I can't have a single mode 650 lumen flashlight in my line of work (I'm not into blinding my patients) and I have no interest or need for it in my spare time. I use other tools, just like an electrician doesn't use a hammer as often as a framer. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

I think this is the point that the OP is trying to make, it doesn't have all that but it does have quick access to 650 lumen and it's reliable. Sometimes that's all you need. And like I said above it's all about the right tool for the job, which many flashlight enthusiasts doesn't seem to understand.

twin63 and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That’s all it is. It’s the equivalent of that hammer that you threw in the shopping cart along with a slew of other things at the hardware store. That’s all it was when issued to me. A tool amongst other tools. It worked without issue.

It’s not glamorous. No bling. Once used, throw it back in the tool box. Need it again? It better work or I get another one just like it.

Im not much of an enthusiast of flashlights. My current EDC is an 8-dollar O’Reilly’s Chinese-made 3AAA that I picked-up cuz I needed to change a flat tire.

Come to think of it, I’m not much of an enthusiast of EDC items now after carrying all the stuff that I carry for a very long time.

#6 0dBm, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Swe_Nurse and twin63 like this.
  7. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

If it is a 6P/G2/Z2 etc, you can find modern LED drop-ins that you'll never need to replace.

Eugene Malkoff makes some that are generally considered to be utterly reliably. Ironically enough the Elzetta Bravo got it's start as a P60 (the module formfactor used in the aforementioned Surefire lights) host whose reputation for reliability came as a result of using those same Malkoff drop-ins.

twin63 likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I’ll look into that source, Big Green. My 6P is permanently out of service, but my well-worn Z2 still functions. All I need is a lamp assembly.

9. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

What is the situation with the 6P?

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Threads are stripped. There’s a chunk of it missing due to a vehicle door landing on it.

11. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Since I'm from Europe, I kind of doubt that my tax euros paid for that particular lamp, but thank you nonetheless for returning it in good condition so it may serve another.
    Since I am genuinely curious about what makes this light attractive, I'd like to ask if you'd buy this lamp for the asking price of $145 if you needed one for your private use.

turbo6 likes this.
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Uhmm, well, since the host is comprised of a conglomerate of several nations, your European tax did pay for a part of it.

I would pay that amount for the one that I returned since I have proven that it worked.

I would pay the full price a new one, but would simultaneously carry a proven one just in case the new one fails.