1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Impromptu JUMBO Grab Handle

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by MyAGunn, Jul 13, 2008.

1. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

??? ??? ???

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

No offense, but the ratio of 1 to 1?!

3. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

My handle is for a Fatboy and I made it about 14" with out the split rings. I started with 25' of extra paracord and had about 7' left so I used 18'. My ratio was 1" of length = 1.3' of cord. Make sure you have some extra .... it is very hard to add ...

Also remember that there are 4 strands on the inside.

Have fun - I had never weaved cord or rope before but the out come was great.

4. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Oops! I meant 1 foot of paracord to 1 INCH of handle. :doh: It's going to depend on the width and thickness of the handle material you are covering and how tight or loose you tie the sennit. :lecture:

5. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

My jumbo handle is 16.5" long, 1" wide, and has a 2" buckle. Used 210" of the inner black cord with a cobra weave and 220" of the outer OD green using what is called the king cobra. Mr. Stormdrane's blog is an excellent resource for pix and descriptions. Youtube is good too.

Added a piece of very sticky velcro to the back of the top of the flap and to the back of the female end of the SRB. It really was sliding off prior to velcro. Good luck, it's a fun project.

6. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Dewildeman, I had my suspicions...

No worries, you do get points for trying to help me. Thanks!

O0

7. CyBuzz

CyBuzz Loaded Pockets

I did this:

[img width=640 height=425]http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/cybuzz/DSC_3986.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=425]http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/cybuzz/DSC_3986.jpg[/img]

I punched some holes and added some grommets and clips and a cobra stiched handle from paracord.

Since there pictures, I have changed hooks and changed one grommet to a larger one since I was less than careful cutting that hole for the grommet and made it too big.

8. nerves

nerves Empty Pockets

Follow the original idea, and took a medium size dog collar (Black) and it fit as well. I'll post pic's soon.

Thank you for the idea.

9. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Neat idea! I'm tempted to do the same on my Fatboy. (maybe without the hooks, but paracord tied directly through the grommets for noise reduction)

10. RichFish

RichFish Empty Pockets

Hi there,

This is my first 'proper' post so go gentle on me!

With all the talk of handles I thought about what I could do with what I had to hand and in my bag. I'm not a big paracord fan as I generally get it wrong and am a bit impatient.

I had just been hooking the bag up with one of the grimlocks attached to it so thought how I could still use that. Also, my bag is the jumbo with a Volta battery case (holding my iPaq) on the front MOLLE points and a Janus extension. On the rear of the Volta, I have another grimlock where I clip my watch of work mobile (Nokia 5140i with wrist strap) when not using them.

So, leaving the bag 'as is', I decided to use the two spare TacTies (3-inch) and just create a simple loop as a handle. Since doing this last week, i've since found that I can use the resulting loop to thread a jumper or small jacket through when not using it.

I've attached a photo to show what I mean.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards

Richard

[img width=640 height=480]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/refuseconsultancy/02022009002.jpg[/img]

11. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Ok, where would I find a tutorial on how to do that paracord weaving? I have buttloads of foliage and black paracord that would be put to good use putting a handle on my foliage jumbo...... I have a spare foliage 1"srb that would be perfect for it. Thanks for any help you can give! I'm also going to do a google search.

12. Gothic_Coop

Gothic_Coop Loaded Pockets

That was a great idea. I need to get me a few Grimlocks now.

13. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

You came up with a great idea, and welcome to the forum ;D

14. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Thanks to a link to Stormdranes' instructional sent to me by yoyosma, I just made a gigantic "double" handle from foliage cord and a foliage 1" buckle for my foliage Jumbo. It came out a little bit too short though, but still works. I may be able to stretch it or if I can find the other foliage buckle I can attatch that to the buckle ends and join them somehow....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

KDOG08,

Well done! How long is the finished product there and how much (length) patacord did you use?

16. Gothic_Coop

Gothic_Coop Loaded Pockets

I wish I had that kind of talent.

17. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

You do.

18. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Its roughly 16-17in long and used a whopping 32ft of cord....

19. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised this thread doesn't get more hits! This is a big topic with the Jumbo!

20. WarrantyExpired

WarrantyExpired Empty Pockets

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I came across this thread a couple weeks ago. I agree that a grab handle is something the Jumbo is missing! I looked at all the posts for ideas and studied the construction of the Jumbo and then went Web crawling to find what I was looking for in the way of parts. I ended up at ITW/Nexus and they had exactly what I wanted!! These are 20mm JSR Surmounts. I determined the location, marked the location for the prongs and made the holes with a heated pocket screwdriver, nice clean holes and no fraying! I wove the handle from black 550 cord with the buckle ends that came with the clips so it is completely removable. I am very happy with the results and have had the handle on my Jumbo for about 2 weeks. I take it with me everyday to work so it sees plenty of use. What do you think?? let me know, questions,compliments and criticism welcome...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WarrantyExpired