1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I'm looking for the brightest/smallest 10440 Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by shelbyfanss, Jul 28, 2016.

1. shelbyfanss

shelbyfanss Loaded Pockets

So I've been carrying a Thorfire TS07 for a few months now, it's a AAA flashlight but many people online had success running 10440 cells in them so I've been doing that as well. Every time I use the flashlight people are astounded at how bright it is. I don't have an exact lumens for it, but compared to all the flashlights that I do have numbers on, I'm guessing it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 lumens. And that's coming out of a light the size of a stick of Chapstick. It's the brightest flashlight I have ever seen for its size, it's pretty remarkable. It gets super hot in the highest setting though, it'll burn my fingers in about a minute if I hold the light too close to the lens! But that's okay, the light was only $20, if it burns up in a year or so, I'll just buy another and burn that up too!

But that got me wondering, are there any other lights in a similar size that also can run on 10440 cells that are as bright or brighter? I've looked at all kinds of lights regardless of price or brand and haven't found anything half as bright.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The SF Titan is I think?

3. zarnch

zarnch Empty Pockets

ultratac K18 claims to reach 350 lumens

4. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Matchbox Instruments is probably your best bet here.
    Deeply into hobbyist light territory here (read: not for those without prior torch-head experience, can be dangerous), but I can't think of anything you can buy that is brighter in that form factor.
    ~500-600 lumens in some.

http://www.matchboxinstruments.com/

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Lumintop ToolVN Titanium
    Web page states "...700 lumen at turn on."
    One of my underlings owns one and carries it daily; using it at every opportunity.
    I don't use the word astounding lightly but it is indeed that.

RGRAY likes this.
  6. shelbyfanss

shelbyfanss Loaded Pockets

My word, those are bright! I almost think that probably goes beyond the point of usefulness and right into the dangerous category. Haha I can imagine that light somehow getting turned on in my pocket and giving me first degree burns before I can get it back out! That Ultratac K18 looks pretty neat though! quite a bit brighter than the one I have and cheap too, I'll have to pick up one of those!

iacchus likes this.
  7. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Hahaha. Yeah.
    "Warning: high mode should not be used for more than 15 seconds"

Neat lights though.

8. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

having had one of these shined in my face, it was like the visual equivalent of taking a shot of straight vodka when your expecting water

9. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Peak and TnC make some very bright 10440 sized lights!, not as bright as the MBI, but you can leave then on longer .

iacchus likes this.
  10. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

Highly recommended, I bought two.
    [​IMG]
    And the Vinh JETBeam Mini1vn is very nice too. ;)
    [​IMG]

H418982 and iacchus like this.
  11. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

The ToolVN is excellent if you absolutely need a clicky switch. However, if you don't mind a twisty and want something a tad smaller the WormVN is excellent as well.

I picked up a copper one a few weeks ago and it's impressive with a good 10440 cell. Same output as the ToolVN perhaps a bit more being just a twist switch.

I think it's somewhere around 600 or 700+ lumens. All flood, no hotspot. Excellent close range mini pocket rocket. The modes are extremely customizable too. You can program it as a 2 mode low/high or a 3 mode low medium high, add strobe or beacon, even 6 mode low to high or vice versa; it's almost endless.

If you are willing to go the custom route the ToolVN or WormVN are probably the best 10440 lights or as just a regular option the UltraTac is a good choice as well.

[​IMG]

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@turbo6: I think you're in interesting company. IIRC, Nick Shabazz recently reviewed this light favorably?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Last edited by Moshe ben David, Nov 18, 2017
  13. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

MBI & TnC would get my vote. Both are excellent and hold firm places in my collection/carry rotation

14. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I haven't seen many reviews on it other than a few comments on forums when they first they were first sold a year or two back. I'll have to check again.

It is a pretty awesome little 10440 light though.

15. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

If you are just looking for crazy bright see if you can find one of Vinh's E05SSvn Option D it is crazy bright, he says well over a thousand lumens. I have one that I EDC just for the shock value, unfortunately it turned on in pocket once and I didn't realize it for a bit, melted a bit of the lens but it still does what it is supposed to which is be bright as all get out.

My regular use EDC is one of his Sunwayman V11Rvn's, love the infinite adjust brightness ring. Love his stuff.