1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I'm looking for a new flashlight/recommendations

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Television, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Television

Television Loaded Pockets

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    This light will be kept in a little 'Emergency' kit in my car at all times. If I break down in the middle of nowhere, or even in the middle of somewhere, I'd like to have sufficient light to get to where I need to be. I'll also probably use it if I go camping or bushwalking at night (only 2-3 times a year). It's more a "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" kinda deal.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    I'm ordering online but I live in Australia so countries that ship down under would be preferred!

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
    Let's say... $60-80

4) Format:
    I want a flashlight.

PART B
    4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

PART C
    Doesn't matter as long as it's fairly ergonomic (which I imagine most are)

PART D
    Considering it's purpose, I don't really care what it's weight is going to be. If it's a bit heavy then so be it.

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs. Probably an LED I'm thinking.

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    I'm thinking lithiums are the way to go here.

7) How much light do you want?
    [ ] I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
    [ ] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
    [ ] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
    [ ] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)
    Something that could vary functions and satisfy all these would be great. But I'd lean more towards the 40-60 lumen range if necessary.

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)----------------------X|----------------------Flood/close-up
    I'm not certain... for my applications I'm thinking somwhere in the middle is best.

9) Runtime:
    [ ] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
    [ ] 360+ min. (More than 6 hours)
    If I take it camping I'd like to know I could use it for more than one night.

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] I don't care.

12) Switch Location:
    [ ] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
    [ ] I don't care.
    If plastic is more durable I'll take plastic...

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
    [ ] Waterproof – how deep: 3-5m deep. Just in case it gets dropped in to water when walking
    [ ] Belt/Jacket clip
    [ ] Holster
    [ ] Wrist/Neck Lanyard

Cheers for the recommendations guys!

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

3. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Your requirements scream 4Sevens Quark 2x123 Tactical to me:
    http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=2502

-2 modes as requested (program which ones you want in advance)
    -Run on reliable lithium CR123s which will do well in a glove box in any temperature without leaking or losing power
    -Easy to use which is good for an emergency
    -Plenty durable
    -Good multi-purpose beam
    -Plus good warranty, good accessories and could reprogram it to a beacon or strobe or SOS mode if needed in a car accident or something

Also, free shipping to Australia.

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I second the Quark recommendation in 123 or AA formats. With the Quark's ability to conserve batteries with ulta-low modes, in an emergency, you'll have the least worries about running out of juice.

5. Television

Thanks guys, I really like the look of the Quark!

I may get the option GH offered down the line as a spare to take camping (cos there's always that one guy that forgots to bring his own...)

6. n0k1a

n0k1a Empty Pockets

SureFire G2X Pro (low end of your price range, polymer body) or 6PX Pro (high end of price range, aluminum, my personal preference) would be really hard to beat. Lifetime warranty is a huge plus over almost all other manufacturers.

7. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Olight Warrior M20 S (Max 320 lm.)

8. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

what sort of 'lithium' batteries were you thinking of running in with? I would suggest the 2xAA format with primary lithium batteries. CR123 are quite expensive in bricks and mortar stores in australia.

There's quite a few 2xAA format lights around. Some brands that come to mind is 4sevens quark AA2 and fenix ld20. Both their operations are pretty similar, except the quark AA2 has a moonlight mode.

Thrunite have a 2xAA light that uses the latest xml LED. It'll be floodier than the other lights though. Similar in UI to the quark and fenix

Sunwayman make the m20a with a magnetic ring to switch between the modes

Nitecore make the ifd2 which has does variable brightness by rotating a ring

Given a choice, what would I get? Probably the quark AA2... I respect a flashlight company that backs up it's products with a 10 year warranty. 4sevens.com also offer free shipping internationally.

9. Television

The 6PX pro was my first preference, however they don't ship to Australia :(

Thanks mate, I'll look it up.

I'm happy to buy a pack of 6-12 CR123's internationally, as I said this light isn't going to get used too often so I'm not overly concerned about draining large numbers of batteries. Thanks for all the info mate!

10. Television

Upon reflection...
    Quark AA holds up more advantages.
    Batteries are available everywhere (even if they're some crappy servo AA's)
    I can get rechargeable AA's (is this correct? Would they be useable in this light?)
    Longer run times on lower light modes (which I'm more likely to use).

11. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

You can get the 6px from legear.com.au for 80 bucks

I'm a big fan of fenix lights. For the price, imho, they are amazing. Great range and there's bound to be on that ticks the boxes.

12. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at Streamlight's "ProTac" line of mid-size LED flashlights. The one I think that would be perfect for you (and the one I'm about to purchase myself) is the ProTac 2L which is just under 5" and includes a pocket clip AND holster. All of these ProTac lights pack quite a punch, the 2L especially. 180 lumens on high, 10 lumens on low, and a strobe feature. Very affordable if you search on ebay/amazon. http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=202#tabs

13. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

Streamlight stylus pro, only about $20

14. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

You can get rechargeable AA. I would recommend the low-self-discharge versions such as eneloops. If you are going to leave the batteries in the car, I would prefer to stick with lithiums, as they can handle higher temperatures better. Heat is usually bad for rechargeable batteries, and the australian summer can get quite hot.

15. retrospeaks

retrospeaks Loaded Pockets

looking for a new light myself. looks like the quark aa is a winner! you guys have steered me away from the fenix ld20.

16. n0k1a

n0k1a Empty Pockets

I've read some things about Quarks which didn't impress me too much (preflash, etc.).

I recently got a Fenix LD10 R5, which is the same light as the LD20 but with a single AA tube. I actually like it a whole lot (more than I expected I would). That said, it will always be a secondary light or something to play with, as my main EDC lights are all from SureFire.

I'd like to find a source of the 2xAA and 1x123A tubes to make the LD10 into the equivalent of an LD20 and a PD20, but haven't found them so far...

17. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I like the Quark.The only real problem I have with the Quarks is that they are hard to get with the neutral/warm LEDs I prefer.The Quark 1XAA,2XAA and 1XCR123 all use the same head so multiple bodies can be purchase if you desire more battery options.Output on max is higher with 1XCR123 and 2XAA than it will be with 1XAA.The Tacticle version will provide 2 user selected modes and I have heard the reports of there being a "preflash" with that light, although that may be of no concern to some users.I actually EDC the standard 1XCR123 with neutral/warm LEDs and 8 modes.I haven't experienced any "preflash" with my standard examples and I like the additional options provided by the multiple modes.The trade-off with the standard UI is that you may have to cycle through the modes and that can be inconvenient sometimes.I suggest you go with the Standard Quark over the Tacticle as it provides more runtime flexibility,unless you are dead set on only having two modes.

18. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think you can use the fenix L2d tube with the LD10 head (and vice versa). fenix-store still has the l2d tube listed on their website:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=457

19. Television

The 6PX pro is $95 from LEgear, maybe if I order my maxpedition pack from there they may consider offering a discount on the order... we'll see. Otherwise it's amazon here I come (cheapest place I've found so far almost anything...)

Upon reading about AA's not handling the heat too well, I need to look in to lithium AA options or maybe just revert to the CR123 and order a 10 pack at the same time as the light.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

20. retrospeaks

retrospeaks Loaded Pockets

what else annoyed you about the quark? preflash isn't big on my list of turnoffs as most of the time i'll be using the light in non tactical applications. right now i have a crappy 80 lumen light with no adjustability and 60 bucks seemed to fit my price point just fine...