1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I'm going to be a Dad... Now what!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by b.s., May 5, 2016.

1. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Don't freak out, just enjoy.

Our 6th is now 4 1/2 months old (2nd oldest is getting married this Sunday) and pretty much all you need those first few months (which I would use a dedicated bag for)

• Cover up for breastfeeding
    • Lots of diapers
    • Costco wipes
    • Butt Paste (severity as needed)
    • at least 3 bibs
    • at least 3 burping cloths
    • at least 3 sets of clothing
    • changing pad, foldable/portable one with pockets for a diaper and a small packet of wipes ideal for a quick change run without having to haul the whole bag in with you.
    • 2 pacifiers (because the first one will hit the dirt)
    • small plastic bags for poopy diapers
    FAK shouldn't really change yet, anything happens you will be going to the emergency room. Definitely recommend infant CPR class, a must have.
    Baby carrier's are indeed a godsend, not sure on brands, I will check when I get home, my wife has a few. Baby Bjorn is ok but some of the simple wraps are just as nice.
    I would definitely recommend a Tummy Tub, greatest thing as far as I am concerned, so little water required and so easy to use.
    If I could afford it I would have 10 more kids, greatest thing in the world! I go to work then I go home and play with the kids. That's it, that is my life and I couldn't be happier. I go to the range every couple of weeks while the fam is at church but other than that I am home or out with them, nothing better.
    Congrats again.

Sly, b.s. and WillAdams like this.
  2. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Lillebaby All Seasons Complete, she totally LOVES it, she also uses a ring sling that she likes a lot. Loves the Lillebaby thought, uses it all the time, way better.than the baby bjorn.

b.s. likes this.
  3. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Congratulations!
    No advice other than keep calm, prepared and daddy on :)

b.s. likes this.
  4. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Heartiest congratulations from the Father of 4 girls.

A couple simple directives for you:

1. Save money

2. It's not about you anymore

Being a Dad is the greatest feeling in the world. The sacrifices will seem minuscule compared to the joy you will receive from your family.

Go get 'em Dad!

Sly, b.s. and WillAdams like this.
  5. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

EDBC threads are a must.
    Anodized titanium pacifiers. Covert tactical baby chest rigs with webbing for the modular clip-on bottle and those soft springed pacifier retractors that are dropping next month ;)

b.s., PragmaticMurphyist and pks like this.
  6. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Congratulations. The first child was the hardest, but you will figure it out. My only advice is go small, as EDC people we often try to bring too much stuff.

b.s. likes this.
  7. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Tom Tabal, Jul 29, 2021
    #47 Tom Tabal, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    b.s. likes this.
  8. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I am writing most of these down, as I am expecting my first child in early July.

b.s. likes this.
  9. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

Congratulations! My son's 1.5 and here is my biggest tip: hide a few extra diapers in your car, plus a snack or two.... you WILL forget or run out of said vitals! Trust me, there's nothing like being alone with a screaming baby only to remember "oops I forgot the diaper bag!"

Also don't forget to change the diapers out as the baby changes into a bigger size.

It doesn't hurt to start saving $ now!

Congrats again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WillAdams and b.s. like this.
  10. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Awesome! My first kid is about 20 months now.

We just use a decent bag we put on our gift registry at Babies R Us. Unless you're really into bags, the diaper bag doesn't need to be anything special, as others have said. I'll tell you the features I like about ours:
    - comes with a changing pad that folds up and slips into an outside pocket for easy access
    - has both a sling and handles. I love the sling because you can throw it over your shoulder, cross-body (messenger bag style), so it will stay in place while you're wrangling the baby.
    - has an insulated pocket for a milk bottle. We throw a freezer pack in there with a full bottle and it works okay for outings.

It's got a wipes dispenser, too, but we stopped using it. Instead of reloading it, it's easier to just throw a whole packet of wipes into the bag itself (wipes packets from Costco have their own dispenser). We also buy diapers at Costco, because they're much cheaper and work great. However, we do buy a premium brand for night-time use because they're a little more absorbent and less prone to leak when they get full. Kids pee a lot, and after a full night's sleep, that diaper is going to be heavy. You don't want the mattress to get wet, hence the "night-time diaper".

My wife and I try to split the care 50/50. You quickly learn to appreciate places that have changing tables in the men's room. There aren't enough of them. But it's not too terrible to change the kid in the back seat of your vehicle or out of the hatchback. Actually, the hatchback is easier.

Last edited by Stutz, May 20, 2016
    CoolbreezeBB, Bulldog87 and b.s. like this.
  11. CoolbreezeBB

CoolbreezeBB Empty Pockets

First off, CONGRATS! It's a wonderful thing! Especially once they start doing things instead of laying there like a sleeping or crying potato. (You will learn to appreciate those sleeping/crying potato times though)

I had an Eddie Bauer bag from target. Great bag, came with changing pad. However, it was like a purse so it wasn't comfortable and sometimes my fiancée and I would forget it in our cars when we transferred and the other one would be without it. I just recently purchased a 5.11 bag from my friend F-Bobby an decided that would be my diaper bag and my fiancee could have the EB.

5.11 RUSH MOAB 10
    MOLLE ATTACHMENTS:
    - Double M14 Mag Pouch: Holds two bottles
    - H2) pouch : I put a bottle of water and the formula "Go packs" in it.
    - EMT First Aid pouch : Any meds and some band-aids, gloves.

MAIN COMPARTMENT:
    - Changing Pad
    - 6 Diapers (This varies depending on how long I plan to be out)
    - Wipes (64 ct with the lid)
    - 4 Dog Pads (Somewhat redundant, as I have the changing pad, but they absorb pee instead of it sliding off the pad and getting on your back seat)
    - 2 Changes of clothes (Full outfits, babies are f-ing messy!)
    - Bib
    - Burb Cloth
    - 2 toys/Teething rings
    FRONT COMPARTMENT
    - Tissues
    - 2 2.5Gal Ziplocks (For poopy diapers or clothes)
    - Diaper rash cream
    - Pacifier Wipes
    - Lotion
    - Extra travel size Purell
    - Extra Pacifier (I usually have one attached to my daughter but you never know.)

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/v8killab/media/baby/5B43A87D-7B1A-45B1-A0E3-0EBE99CC41C6.jpg.html][​IMG]

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/v8killab/media/baby/6460C4CF-75FA-42BD-8217-A77585F5162A.jpg.html][​IMG]

pks, b.s. and F-Bobby like this.
  12. CoolbreezeBB

CoolbreezeBB Empty Pockets

Just to add, I actually field tested this load out last night and it worked awesome. Everything was easily accessible and had its place. I think the problem with the EB diaper bag is that it's just a giant hole you stuff things into with very little in the way or organization. Also I added the tags last night.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek Loaded Pockets

Best wishes!

Now sell your EDC and get the baby a college fund, be realistic.

Serious note, just get a used diaper bag from a friend, it's more realistic. Instead of pocket knives, get some relaxation mp3s for you and the baby. Stick with a schedule so you can train the baby to sleep on "your schedule" and not the baby. Be consistent. Sugar. Sugar the sheet out of the baby so it's hyper during daytime and crash at night time.
    Don't turn the baby to a vegan or a crossfit athlete.

Seriously, congrats, and now, rub your wife's feet. She'll remember that forever.:p

b.s. likes this.
  14. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

congratulations. my advice is to save money and accept any second hand stuff thats worth taking.

also, read some books. I didn't and wish i had. my sons are 5 and 7 now.

http://lovingonpurpose.com/parenting/

c99camper and b.s. like this.
  15. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Congratulations !!!
    Becoming a daddy is the most wonderful time. Whatever happend in your life before this will beat it 100 times.
    Everything in your life will change. There will be a new center of your life with a lot responsibility.
    Sometimes it can be hard but your child will return it with love. Spend as much as possible time with your child. They will grow up so fast. Time flies by.
    I wish you and your family all the best. All in front healthiness. It´s most important.

This is great! My daughter is 6 years old now and my son 4 years old.
    Maybe we should make a 3rd child only because of having such a great bag :D

b.s. and CoolbreezeBB like this.
  16. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

For children’s books, the ones which I can recommend are:

- _Children the Challenge_ — the underlying psychology of natural consequences is sound, some of the examples / case studies are contrived or cherry-picked, so take w/ a grain of salt, and apply common sense, and your own moral compass
    - _What to Expect When You’re ..._ — good facts and case studies — as above, use it to inform, but choose your own path
    - _The Book of Virtues_ — read this to my kids from when they were infants on (along w/ Hiawatha which was great for putting my son to sleep). I think this shows a moral path which anyone, from any culture could agree with.
    - _How to Be Your a Dog’s Best Friend_ — written by the monks of New Skete, you’ll want this to inform the discussion when the child asks about having a puppy. It’s also a fascinating insight into the human–dog dynamic.
    - _Swiss Family Robinson_ — Jules Verne wrote a pair of sequels as well.

I read a lot to the kids, all the standard kid’s books, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, &c. — started in on Presidential biographies, and got as far as Truman, working chronologically (slipped in Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee as well), and had intended to start back w/ pre-history and read biographies and histories in chronological order, but my wife quit her night job, and that put the kibosh to that.

Ah well, that will be something for the reading thread. (Which ai’m currently on pg. 73 of)

17. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

When my wife was pregnant with both our children, we got a huge amount of cans of formula, diaper bags, diapers, etc, from her OBGYN and from the hospital. We ended up using one of the diaper bags we got free. However, my wife did purchase a generic, no name sling style backpack later to use as a diaper bag. I ended up carrying it from time to time. I agree with the person who said there is no need to overthink this.

We ended up carrying bottles of formula, diapers, wipes, changing pad, pacifier, anti-bacterial wipes (for restaurant high chairs and tables) and a couple of small toys. When our kids got older, we threw in some snacks and a portable DVD player and headphones. You'd be amazed at how a DVD will help you get through a meal at a restaurant!

We also carried extra diapers and wipes in the car in case we ran out.

We also bought a Jeep stroller that we used for both children. It had plenty of space to carry whatever we needed.

One story about one of my EDC items (my Gerber mutlitool) that did come in handy. When my son was an infant, he was a bottle fed baby. One Saturday we had gone to visit my wife's aunt and ended up staying later than we had planned. Although we had packed enough bottles of his formula, we ended up running out and my son got VERY hungry on the way home. I stopped at a Wal Mart and bought a can of pre-mixed liquid formula. However the can didn't have a pull top and we didn't have a can opener or bottle opener. However, I had my trusty Gerber tool and used it to open up the can so my wife could pour it into a bottle for him! My wife and I still tell that story from time-to-time....

Congrats on your first child! They are definitely a blessing, even when they become teenagers......

b.s. and WillAdams like this.
  18. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Now you can buy a tactical baby carrier. :)

Congrats!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

b.s. likes this.
  19. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

As a Dad, you now BECOME the tactical baby carrier :)

b.s. and CoolbreezeBB like this.
  20. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Main tip. Especially for your wife. You don't need to carry 99% of the things you think with you. Leave them in the car. For my daughter I carried a waist pack with: change mat. 2 dipers. 1 premade bottle. 1 bib. 1 change of clothes. 1 spare pacifier. Small refill container of wipes and butt cream.

Car had half a box of dipers which came inside when a new box was brought and half the new box went into car (rotate as bub grows into new sizes)
    2 more changes. Wipes. Extra blankets. Jug to boil water for formula etc etc.
    If I managed to use up the supplies in my pack then a short trip to the car allowed a full restock.
    There is zero reason to carry a full days supplies for bub on you when you are only actually going to be away from your vehicle for an hour or two.

Second tip. Spend the money on a removable capsule type car seat.

b.s. and WillAdams like this.