1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I'm Getting Married !!! What should I carry ???

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Pine Box Parkinson, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

Well, It'll be the wedding and reception. So, A full day of tasks. Setting up, dinner and helping out the drunk friends/relatives, tearing down and so forth. Who knows what could happen.

I think I was more looking for ideas of a classy knife to carry. Not a full load out.

2. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

All of my groomsmen got Vic Spartan and Best man got One-hand Trekker. Brother in law (sister's husband) was groomsman never carried a knife before. saw him a while back told me he was glad he got the Spartan and he carried it everyday. Chalk one more up for team Victorinox.

Pine Box Parkinson likes this.
  3. Gollum24601

The stars only know how The Hangover would have turned out if all the wedding party had a SAK.

Pine Box Parkinson and ac7ss like this.
  4. Gollum24601

I carried a Spartan and a 1911. As did my best man and my father in law. And my mother in law had heat in her purse. Why? Because you just never know.

Justinicus and warchild like this.
  5. Gollum24601

I feel like a tool. What I should have said first was: Congrats on getting married. I hope you guys have a long and happy life.

6. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

My tip, probably have nothing at all in your pockets to walk down the isle, and for photos especially, a clean pant line is much classier :)

Unless a particular item holds a lot of sentential value. A huge cell phone bulge in your pocket in photos 20 years from now is probably not going to be classy :)

Lone Airedale and ac7ss like this.
  7. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Here's two personal wedding EDC stories for you, well three actually.

On my wedding day, just shy of 24 years now and still going strong, I carried a small money clip knife. I got married wearing my military Mess Kit uniform and the pockets were quite small. The little money clip saved the day as it had a small blade and a small pair if folding scissors. After the ceremony and the reception, I discovered that my mother in law had sewed my wife into her wedding dress - nothing mischievous about it, she just added some decorative lace at the last minute. Let's just say the scissors came in handy.

And twos months later when my wife's sister got married in the same dress, I passed the same little money clip/knife/scissors to my new brother in law as they were heading into the elevator onwards to their hotel room after the reception. He discretely handed it back to me late the next day with an honest but quiet 'thank you'.

Lastly when I stood as Best Man for my best friend a few years later, I carried a small flask of dark rum in my breast pocket - for medicinal purposes of course. Well the cap leaked a bit and I can only imagine the thought going through the priest's mind as my bud and I came up the alter reeking of rum.

There you have it, two wins and one fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justinicus likes this.
  8. pvsoriano

pvsoriano Loaded Pockets

Congrats on getting married - I recently got married myself last September. I went very light and carried the following: Boker Plus Subcom Black, handkerchief (good for tearful moments), wallet and iPhone. I left my fenix flashlight at the house and would have used my iPhone as a flashlight just in case. So for EDC I would recommend the Boker knife - I also use it as my EDC for work.

As for groomsmen gifts I think you're spot on. I got all my groomsmen multi-tools as they all loved it. I think every guy should have a good knife/multi-tool, and even if they're not knife guys they'll appreciate it.

Congrats again and enjoy your wedding day (even thought in reality it's your wife's day), lol.

9. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

I'll add to the chorus singing for the Alox line. Your exact choice is up to you, but the SAK knives have a reputation as "tools" rather than as simply cutting instruments, making them much more widely accepted among those who don't understand things the same way we do.

As I'm sure you know by now, weddings are very carefully rehearsed, and so any EDC needs you may have are likely to be the kind of light duty things a SAK can handle easily.

The SAK also has the advantage of not taking up much space, so even if some of your wedding party aren't into tools, it's easy to keep it.

10. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

That dirk is a great idea if you can pull it off!

Otherwise, just a micro SAK, or something you can fit in a pocket without printing. If you need a clip, think about attaching it to the inside coat pocket. Realistically, the monkey suit is a costume. You leave your cell phone, keys, maybe even wallet in the back room for later. I wouldn't want to be without a knife under any circumstances though.

11. Sharpshooter11000

Sharpshooter11000 Loaded Pockets

Congrats on getting married!
    I'd say definitely Alox SAKs, they look a whole lot classier (and more expensive) than their plastic counterparts, and I don't think many people wouldn't want an Alox!

(wow, I really have got the Alox pox...)

12. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Congrats, and may you and your future Mrs. have a long happy life together.

I carried a Woo neck knife IWB, a S&W J frame, and a Case peanut. I also got married in Jeans:rofl:, I did however get all my help knives and to the man they love and use them to this day.

Gollum24601 likes this.
  13. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

If you want to get all girly about, perhaps you can carry a Vic Alox in a color that coordinates with your betrothed's bridesmaids' color scheme, if there is one, then a silver for you. Or, just the opposite...

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Congratulations :)

As with most of the posters I figure your wedding day is going to be the point where you are upfront, not hidden in the back sorting out issues, so there is no real need for a full EDC setup. Having said that, you never know what will happen so being appropriately prepared for issues like Mrs Fusilliers dress is never a bad thing. Given you will be dressed I would opt for carrying as little as possible, and those tending rather towards the small and classy side of things - a knife like an alox cadet or classic variant or something traditional like a small Case, a small button cell or AAA light for emergencies, perhaps a nice pen and handkerchief... Those should be fairly easy to conceal in dress attire if you have access to an inner picket or two.

15. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

1+ for Vic Alox... Black with red shield!