1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I'm confused about the Seiko 5

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Random Dan, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

I haven't worn a watch in a while and I kinda miss it. I like the looks of the Seiko 5. The only problem is that I don't want a watch that needs to be removed to shower, and apparently the 30m rating on the 5 is not up to the challenge. But wait, some places list Seiko 5s with 100m waterproofing with no difference in model number. So I thought I would go to Seiko's website to get a definitive answer, but to my surprise the SNK807 does not exist there.

Would someone please explain what is going?

Thanks!

2. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, it may be that the SNK807 is not currently being produced by Seiko. It does look like it's imported so it may just be it's not listed in SeikoUSA's website.

I'll let others weigh in on the rest, but I do have one comment you might want to be aware of...

Just beware, that particular watch is a VERY small watch. The case diameter is only 37mm. Many women's watches are in the 32-35mm range. Unless you have a tiny, tiny, wrist or just like really (really) small watches, you might be disappointed. The average men's watch is usually around 41mm and goes up from there. I have a large wrist and can't wear a watch any smaller than about 46-47mm or larger, else it looks completely awful on my wrist.

Just a point of reference.

Gary Gross likes this.
  3. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I'm not an expert but I believe there are two lines, the Seiko 5 and the Seiko 5 Sports. The latter has the higher degree of water resistance, 100 meters (vs. 30 meters).

As DCBman mentioned the SNK807 is only 37mm and pretty small by the current trend in watch sizes. If you're like the style and want a larger watch (41mm) with 100m water resistance you might want to take a look at the SNZG11.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Where are you showering that 30m water resistance is in sufficient?

5. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I've showered and swam with my SNK805 on, and washed it in the sink repeatedly. So far so good.

And size wise, I know nothing about current trends but if a small field watch was good enough for MacGyver it's good enough for me. I guess those huge watch faces are what's hip in man jewelery at the moment so if that's what you want then you probably want to look at something else. The Seiko 5 is a solid and functional watch without any bling.

xrayit, Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  6. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input guys. After doing some more researching I found a really good deal on a Citizen Ecodrive BM8180-03E. I'm super excited for it to get here.

313 likes this.