1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

IFAK Calamine Lotion

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by swedishelite22, Dec 30, 2018.

1. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Anyone have a good suggestion for a sustainable way to carry calamine lotion?

I need to add some to the FAK but can only find 6 oz bottles. I'd ideally like to find small sealed packets so they last longer but so far searches have come up empty.

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. swedishelite22

Yeah, so, I'm trying to stay away from simply pouring the lotion from a big bottle into a little bottle...

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a place to obtain specifically Calamine lotion in small sealed packs, e.g.:

[​IMG]

4. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Does it have to be calamine lotion? Will another type of lotion work?

https://www.minimus.biz/

They sell travel size portions of a ton of stuff. Doing a word search of just calamine didn't bring anything up, but perhaps there is another anti-itch lotion/cream that will work for your purpose.

Wishoot, Jedi5150 and swedishelite22 like this.
  5. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Maybe ask your local chemist/pharmacy/drugstore if they have sample (sachet) or travel size they can order in or perhaps a dermatologist?

swedishelite22 likes this.
  6. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Loaded Pockets

Yep, minimus.biz was going to be my recommendation too. It's my go-to place for travel sized stuff.

7. swedishelite22

I can't say that it has to be calamine lotion, I can only say that I know calamine has been highly effective

Both of my daughter's have very sensitive skin; to the point that some common, "gentle" lotions cause more irritation than relief. Calamine has been used and offers quick relief without side effect.

They both have prescription creams but those are more for heavier, longer lasting flare-ups, and carry a cost when used too frequently.

That then leads me to the search for small calamine packets I can keep in the EDC FAK for when we are out (eg a forest preserve for the day and an hour away from the nearest drug store, etc).

8. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Short of using a mini refilable eye dropper or bottle which you want to avoid decanting, not sure that there are many options if ready made sachets of calamine aren't available.

What about the old sealed straw method?

Again if you have something to heat seal mylar bags you might be able to make some sort of sachet yourself with some experimenting.

A small ziplock bag with a round cotton pad and calamine dripped on it might be OK for just a day trip but would leak/fail carrying it over time, might have to reinforce with tape and hope the seal doesn't fail *shrug*.

I did see a product mentioned recently on a blog for travel toiletiries hacks called a GoTubb (round container) available on Amazon again, cotton pads infused with calamine option. No affiliation with product just brainstorming.

NeWt and swedishelite22 like this.
  9. Ghostbear68

Ghostbear68 Loaded Pockets